Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Arrowmax Medius Mid Conversion have new Type 2 upper deck
Old 09-12-2019, 02:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC MARKET

Arrowmax Medius Mid Conversion have new Type 2 upper deck
whoa @ the cut 80

Are we gonna go to 2-piece decks shortly a la Lazer ZX or what?!?
Old 09-15-2019, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

3 parts in fact... That's what I got after the crash lol
Lonestar likes this.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:53 AM
Tech Master

I ran the Arrowmax mid-motor conversion this weekend. Carbon version, medium grip asphalt. The car has way too much flex, you can see it on the bench, and feel it on track. The car is reluctant to turn in, then on exit wants to keep turning when it's time to straighten up. It feels similar to when I tried the 1.6mm topdeck outdoors.

So I'm going to cut some different topdeck options to try. I've seen the Rebellion style one work really well, and that should be much stronger in a crash. I can easily cut a few different widths to try different flex options.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by daleburr
I ran the Arrowmax mid-motor conversion this weekend. Carbon version, medium grip asphalt. The car has way too much flex, you can see it on the bench, and feel it on track. The car is reluctant to turn in, then on exit wants to keep turning when it's time to straighten up. It feels similar to when I tried the 1.6mm topdeck outdoors.

So I'm going to cut some different topdeck options to try. I've seen the Rebellion style one work really well, and that should be much stronger in a crash. I can easily cut a few different widths to try different flex options.

Dale, did you have a second 'std' car to test it against at Bedworth, or did you just throw caution to the wind for the Clubman's

So did it feel similar to your layshaft conversion you made for Sorex tyres?
Old 09-16-2019, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Dale, did you have a second 'std' car to test it against at Bedworth, or did you just throw caution to the wind for the Clubman's

So did it feel similar to your layshaft conversion you made for Sorex tyres?
I didn't race the Clubmans. I gave the Arrowmax kit a run on Saturday after practice had finished, so great track conditions, lots of rubber down, and ideal temperatures at 6pm. The best I could manage was a 13.32 lap, compared to a 13.08 the week before in similar temperatures and grip level. It was lacking corner-speed and consistency.

I actually ran my one-piece motor mount the week before, with the carbon centre-brace to stiffen things up. Probably the best I've had the car go in warm weather:
RC-Results - Bedworth RCCC - 08/09/2019 - Summer Series 2019 Round 9 - Finals - Round 2 - Race 6 - Open TC - A Final
Old 09-16-2019, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

I ran the Arrowmax mid-motor conversion this weekend. Carbon version, medium grip asphalt. The car has way too much flex, you can see it on the bench, and feel it on track. The car is reluctant to turn in, then on exit wants to keep turning when it's time to straighten up.
This is 100% exactly my experience with the Medius kit so far and extremely irritating to say the least.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease
This is 100% exactly my experience with the Medius kit so far and extremely irritating to say the least.
They've gone with a different design to most of the other conversion kits. The ARC, Arrowmax, Capricorn, Awesomatix, Zerotribe, Rebellion... all have a long motor mount, with a mounting point in front of the spur to make the chassis fairly stiff at the front.

The Arrowmax mount is very small, with the mounting points all close together, giving lots of flex.

On the plus side, the Arrowmax quality is great, and the one-piece mount won't tweak like some of the others. And it keeps the motor and battery nice and central. Hopefully with a stiffer top-deck it can be good.
Lonestar likes this.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So, with different manufacturers going different "routes" (especially in regards to the upper deck) on their mid-motor conversion kits, which (if any) are TRULY good, and produce the best end-results? By "best", on a 0-10 scale ('5' is equal to the T4's stock configuration, '0' is "ruined the car beyond belief", and '10' is "made the car way better than anyone ever thought possible"), I'm talking 8, or above.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

They've gone with a different design to most of the other conversion kits. The ARC, Arrowmax, Capricorn, Awesomatix, Zerotribe, Rebellion... all have a long motor mount, with a mounting point in front of the spur to make the chassis fairly stiff at the front.

The Arrowmax mount is very small, with the mounting points all close together, giving lots of flex.

On the plus side, the Arrowmax quality is great, and the one-piece mount won't tweak like some of the others. And it keeps the motor and battery nice and central. Hopefully with a stiffer top-deck it can be good.
Our motor mount is small as well and I can’t say that I necessarily agree with you that this causes excessive flex. More than likely, the Arrowmax top deck is too narrow at the front. This has a substantial effect in overall stiffness. We found big increases in stiffness simply by widening it by only 2mm in the front section. Our car, while quite flexy, is very responsive on entry and stable on exit.

I will add that kits like the ZT use a std 2.2mm deck, which returns quite a bit of the overall stiffness.

I’m pretty sure that a lot of the ailments can be cured with a stiffer deck. In the meantime, have you guys considered going with softer front springs and stiffer rear to compensate for the difference in flex characteristic? You can remedy some of that behavior by changing springs or raising the roll centers.

racer034life likes this.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CristianTabush

Our motor mount is small as well and I can’t say that I necessarily agree with you that this causes excessive flex. More than likely, the Arrowmax top deck is too narrow at the front. This has a substantial effect in overall stiffness. We found big increases in stiffness simply by widening it by only 2mm in the front section. Our car, while quite flexy, is very responsive on entry and stable on exit.

I will add that kits like the ZT use a std 2.2mm deck, which returns quite a bit of the overall stiffness.

I’m pretty sure that a lot of the ailments can be cured with a stiffer deck. In the meantime, have you guys considered going with softer front springs and stiffer rear to compensate for the difference in flex characteristic? You can remedy some of that behavior by changing springs or raising the roll centers.

The Medius upper deck is very frail in the middle section as well. When I added a centre post to stiffen the car, the flex point just shifted more to the middle but still flexed way too easily. I doubt that it's comparable to the new Genesis based on what pics have been shown so far - Cristian your design looks quite a bit stiffer. The Medius feels like the original MTC1.
Regarding motor mounts, I have had very positive results on other cars such as my Destiny that has a very long & stiff motor mount that you can tune with screws and shims. It's fantastic actually. If we had this tuning ability at the front of these mid pulley cars, we'd be golden.
I have the luxury of just running a different car until the proper parts are available to fix this flex issue so I'll wait rather than chase setup that may never work. I mean, I've been through all this before with other flexy flyers. It's a lost cause unless you have no other options.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the info, sounds like it should easily be sorted via topdeck design. I'm going testing tomorrow so will let people know what I find.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

A busy morning in the garage, followed by an afternoon at the track!

The conclusion... pretty much anything is better than the Arrowmax topdeck. Even at the start of the day when grip was low it was slower than my normal car.

By the end of the day, after lots of tests and repeated back-to-backs, I ended up 0.1s quicker with the mid car, and a few seconds quicker over a run.

The Rebellion style 'chicane' topdeck and vertical top decks both worked well. Pros and cons of each, but overall I prefer the chicane style as it lighter and neater, and easier to detweak.
DavidNERODease, silden and Daffs like this.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Nice report Dale.

I will have to draw up some asymmetric "chicane" style top decks to test. Sounds promising.
racer034life and Bar like this.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Nice report Dale.

I will have to draw up some asymmetric "chicane" style top decks to test. Sounds promising.
I settled on 11mm wide, 2mm carbon. Tried a 13mm one, grip needed to be higher for it to work. Very easy to change as they slide straight under the belts.
silden likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.