Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T.O.P. Racing "Scythe" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Thats good to know
I have my first race meet with teh car and only have a practice day under the belt.
So wish me luck at the club meet on Sunday.

Im so looking forward to it
Going to be running Superstock (27t stock) maybe 19t if there is a class.

Post my reactions later.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:53 AM
Tech Elite

Ok guys ran my first race meet and have to say im very chuffed
Managed 2nd fastest time for the day and took 2nd in the finals of the Superstock (27t) class.
Only hassle was i got hit by a idiot driver and broke the front spool ,changed to the oneway and all was good just i had to adapt to running with out brakes.
A fellow Scythe racer also had his spool brake after a incident.
Would recommend gettin a ally or titanium spool.
Which cars spool would be interchangeable with the Scythe ,Yokomo maybe ?? or Hpi ???

I was lacking in the battery department so will be looking at getting some good matched 4200 packs as teh 2 year old 3800 and 3300 are just not holding up after first 2/3 mins.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Spool

Razzor, TOP have released an alloy spool for the car, just click on the link in my signature.

The delrin spool is the way to go for stock racing but if you get hit from the side they can brake. It's not a Scythe thing they are all like that. I had a head on with a guide rail and broke nothing, so it's just the where you get hit.

Great to hear you went well, hopefully the TOP company can attract some heavy weight drivers to the already great team and start getting this car the big wins it deserves.

Cheers
Aaron
Old 05-14-2007, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

I have a order for some ally spools from TOP as i am SA distributor.
I have also signed up a guy that was the number 2 top driver in SA and he will be running at the next national. So looking up for TOP
I think its a very good car.
I have one gripe though ,i see my rear belt is awfully close to the battery and actually touches on the 3800 batteries.have you noticed that as well ?
Old 05-14-2007, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

Which cars spool would be interchangeable with the Scythe ,Yokomo maybe ?? or Hpi ???
I am running the SpeedTech Yokomo BD steel spool in the front of my car (same as I used at the Titc in Feb) I tried the TOP alloy spool, but chewed up the plastic pads in no time and damaged the alloy out drive from one falling apart during a race. Luckly the BD works for back up of spares some days.
Spools can be very hard on the front drive shafts etc, but are definitely fast when you adapt to the driving style.
Tip: Be careful running the alloy drive shafts in the front with a spool, especially if you are prone to hit barriers, and keep all moving joints well lubed.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:29 AM
Tech Elite

So for reliability i should look at steel cvd's, titanium or thicker ally ones.
What is the opinion on front diffs ???
Old 05-14-2007, 05:46 AM
Tech Adept

if yokomo's spool works on the car, you can ask to Patrick Jasmin.
Here's some pics on his blog: http://blogsperso.orange.fr/web/jsp/...?blogID=127906
He makes full delrin spool or aluminium/delrin spools for yokomo BD so i think it should work on the Scythe
Old 05-14-2007, 06:01 AM
Tech Regular

I had an aluminium/delrin spool from Patrick and I must say I am very impressed. I have also run the Speedtech spool but find it's weight gives a slightly unpredicatble car under heavy braking and when entering high speed corners, more of an issue in modified than in stock classes.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

I am about to get the new alloy spool. As soon as I get the pricing from Rod.

Someone mentioned they used this and chewed up some plastic part or something? please clarify.

I see TOP has also released some lower style shock towers, what advantage do these have over the original besides a couple of extra mounting positions?.

Also there appears to be a new car on the way, 2007 version, does anyone know the updates from the current model?

Cheers
Aaron
Old 05-15-2007, 03:59 AM
Tech Regular

2007 model is same car just with 2.5mm lower plate instead of 2mm,

the new towers are 2mm lower so give less up travel and also car feels like it has more traction , if you run on a small tight track run the old towers

jimmy
Old 05-15-2007, 04:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for that Jimmy
Old 05-15-2007, 06:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by zacabrandy

Someone mentioned they used this and chewed up some plastic part or something? please clarify.
The plastic parts refered to are the driveshaft blades. These clip over the the end of the driveshaft dogbone and act as a barrier between the dogbone pins and the spool outdrives. They are designed as the sacrificial part (ie instead of wearing your nice shiny spool, you wear out plastic bits). However you do need to check these regurlarly, because once they're worn, the wear gets taken out on the spool! Driveshaft blades are usually cheap and easily inter changeable. I think in the near future TOP will be revising the driveshaft blade material for a stronger one.
HTH
Old 05-15-2007, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by zacabrandy

I see TOP has also released some lower style shock towers, what advantage do these have over the original besides a couple of extra mounting positions?.

Also there appears to be a new car on the way, 2007 version, does anyone know the updates from the current model?

Cheers
Aaron
The lower towers are also better suited to small diameter foam tyres although they will work fine with rubbers too.

Perhaps people were talking about the spool blades that were chewing up? If so Kyosho TF-5 blades part number TFW001-01 are apparently more durable.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:35 AM
Tech Regular

if you use the kyosho ones they are very brittle and also need drilling out to a larger size, the spool will not be released until we are 100% happy with the material

jimmy
Old 05-21-2007, 05:31 AM
Tech Elite

Check the spool blades after every run, and replace them if they look even slightly worn (the mistake I made), will be great when a better material becomes available.
I am not having any problems with the steel spool in the handling of the car and just love the lower shock towers. The tun-ability of the extra upper shock position holes really makes getting right less of a compromise.

Jimmy thought I was crazy at the Titc when I ran the lower front shock tower with the standard rear, but thats the way I am.

Peter Ellis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.