Wiki Posts
Search

T.O.P. Racing "Scythe" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by King of B Main
EJ, can you send me your vegas carpet setup or tell me where I can find it?
http://www.topracingusa.com/setup.htm
Old 01-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by King of B Main
EJ, can you send me your vegas carpet setup or tell me where I can find it?
here ya go
http://www.topracingusa.com/setup.htm
Old 01-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Thanks guys I pretty much had the same setup except shock oil weight. I was running on some high bite asphalt and my car would just over rotating and grab and go straight into the wall...So I think I just need to lighten up the rear oil weight...
Old 01-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi all

I have just got a APR Scythe, and the std. rear ball diff keep loosen after a few laps.
Is this normel .... ????
And whot to do about it ..... ?????
Old 01-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KBRacing
Hi all

I have just got a APR Scythe, and the std. rear ball diff keep loosen after a few laps.
Is this normel .... ????
And whot to do about it ..... ?????
No, it is not normal for a diff to come loose. Check it has been assembled properly. Check that the nyloc portion of the diff nut is gripping the diff bolt well, if not replace it. Make sure the thrust bearing is well packed with black grease as if it is unlubricated it may cause the diff to work loose.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

use a litle bit of locktite on the nut.
becarfull that you don't spill it over the rest of the diff.

also check the smal diff balls if they are ok. when they are not running smootley, your diff will come loose.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Master

Josh,
Is it not time now to show the car
I want to buy it wen it comes out but i also want to see it.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Im using a spool on the scythe... I was wondering what would happen if i were to run without using the drive protector on the spool? What is the purpose of it being there?

Just being curious as usual...
Old 01-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

You mean the plastic blades?

First of all you would have a huge amount of free play which would make the drive feel very imprecise.

Secondly there is a good chance that the excess free play will tear the driveshafts and spool to pieces pretty rapidly.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tpg racer
Im using a spool on the scythe... I was wondering what would happen if i were to run without using the drive protector on the spool? What is the purpose of it being there?

Just being curious as usual...
If you are refering to the alloy covers that go over the front spool then they are only really needed for mod or if you run on tracks with solid barriers (big hits) otherwise you will be fine without them.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by sosidge
You mean the plastic blades?

First of all you would have a huge amount of free play which would make the drive feel very imprecise.

Secondly there is a good chance that the excess free play will tear the driveshafts and spool to pieces pretty rapidly.
No, what I meant was the alloy cover over the spool thingy like what Dragonfire said.... in TOP's website its called the drive protector.... just wondering what is the purpose of this alloy cover and would it be fine running without it?

Its just somethings that makes you wonder...
Old 01-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Tpg racer
No, what I meant was the alloy cover over the spool thingy like what Dragonfire said.... in TOP's website its called the drive protector.... just wondering what is the purpose of this alloy cover and would it be fine running without it?

Its just somethings that makes you wonder...
Basically it stops the alloy spool outdrives from "spreading" under load. Any spool involved in an accident puts massive load on the drivetrain because the is no "give" in either direction. This is why you tens to break or damage outdrives and CVD's on the front when running a spool.

When you have a big hit, the front wheels at some time during the collision can get jammed against something looking the swingshafts in place (they can't rotate). If you are still applying power then all that load is held still by many bits but one of the weakest is the outdrives. With a huge load the tend to "spread" apart a little and due to alloy not being flexible they stay like that or break. They alloy covers or "protectors" create a conected ring over the outdrive that while being thin is also a complete circle and therefore much more resistent to being stretched. This keeps everything round and together. It is very similar to the little alloy rings some delrin outdrives use (like original scythe kit).
Old 01-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default josh cyrul and top racing

Hey all: Was woundering about a few things with top racing. First josh said there was a new top sedan coming so when can we expect it and are there any pics that can be posted of it yet? Also will any of the top team be running production or pre-production versions of the new top sedan at the '09snowbirds? Finally i read some were on line that josh's cefx company may be merging or partnering with top racing can someone clear this up? Thanks for the info
Old 01-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Congrats to GOOP for the TQ in 13.5 Foam Tire at the Novak Race
Old 01-12-2009, 02:36 AM
Tech Champion

Just though I would post on the performance of the new photon arms....

Since I was offered a set to try (concept so may not be final design) I have run 2 meets on them. At a low grip track they where able to match and slightly better my brothers best lap times with the standard suspension. I also ran at a medium grip track last weekend. I managed some very quick laps in practice (some 0.4sec quicker) but having run the same old tyres for both meets lost a lot of steering once racing got under way. That said I was able to match pace with the front runners in 10.5. Both fronts have canvas all the way around thre inside edge and one is split 1/4 of the way around.

All in all I would say at the very lest the arms are as good as the kit HPI but prolly just a little better offering just a touch more of corner speed and grip. They are also noticably thicker and stronger. And the final plus is it still uses the same size bearings on the axles so you don't need a new set each racemeet like the tamiyas or corallys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.