Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

That's my plan.
MikeR likes this.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni
That's my plan.
Yea that solution is nice, I just don’t like that the fan is too close to the ground and very exposed. It’s obviously much lighter than my mount, but i’m already at 1503g so I don’t really need it. (And ive broken several fans like that in other cars) The issue is that if that one fan screw gets loose, it can drag on the track

Besides, another reason I went with a top vs side mount was that there’s lots of airflow in that side area and Id rather have airflow forced down to push hot air out rather than push cold air in
Old 10-06-2020, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni
Tony, does the UF1 series use standard mylaps transponders for the races? I'm installing electronics in my FE car now and wanted to know because space is at a premium on this chassis.
The systems vary from track to track with almost all being 3-wire AMB compatible. As long as yours is compatible with that, you should be good.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GT CRUSING
So Tony as for fan mounts are you allowed to mount a side motor fan like this for Formula E?

This guy looks to have drilled into the side of the chassis to screw it on and also just screwed on a top empty hole. From what I interpret from the rules, that wouldn’t be legal right? (Though its actually quite clever and i’m baffled its not like that in the standard kit)

I was planning on buying a tamiya brand motor fan mount, but looks like everyone is sold out. Is a non tamiya fan mount legal to use?
TCS rules state no aftermarket parts can be used, nor is drilling holes ok. That being said, I want to keep to those same rules.

However, You can add a motor-mounted fan ring to your car - totally legal. The Exotek one is good to go. It should work in side or top mounting positions.

Last edited by TPhalen; 10-06-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Is there a post or a link foUF1 in Socal? I live in Ventura and would love to race. I'm building a 312T# presently and need a place to practice with her for starters. Thanks for any help!
Old 10-15-2020, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SteveNeill
Is there a post or a link foUF1 in Socal? I live in Ventura and would love to race. I'm building a 312T# presently and need a place to practice with her for starters. Thanks for any help!
Hey Steve.

Here's the link to the UF1 site: Home | UF1 RC - Formula 1 RC Racing. There's the ruleset as well as our schedule. The season just ended and we are looking to start the next one here soon. Hopefully. Once tracks open back up.
cpatel529 likes this.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you very much. I will look foreword to racing. From what I can tell from the rules my stock Tamiya 312T2 Ferrari qualifies?
Old 10-15-2020, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TPhalen
Hey Steve.

Here's the link to the UF1 site: Home | UF1 RC - Formula 1 RC Racing. There's the ruleset as well as our schedule. The season just ended and we are looking to start the next one here soon. Hopefully. Once tracks open back up.
I am looking for a F1 car as well to start in the F2 class. Is it spec motor/ESC like Formula-E or is it open (I currently run Maclan Pico and V2 motors in all my cars)? Debating between Exotek and Infinity (I have an infinity 4wd touring car and like the red).

Also, which are the popular bodies and does the paint scheme have to be real F1 or can it match my offroad and sedan scheme?

Chi

Old 10-15-2020, 08:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Another question should I get the DX5C or is the or is the STX3 that I have good enough? Thanks.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Thank you very much. I will look foreword to racing. From what I can tell from the rules my stock Tamiya 312T2 Ferrari qualifies?
At the moment, newcomers to the Series start off in Formula 2. This is the class to learn you car, learn setup techniques and car control without having to race the 'top dogs'.

If you want to run in the F1 class, we hold 'F1 Qualifiers' - basically a day to get on the track and show us what you got. We post a designated laptime that you have to hit 3 laps in a row - that shows us you have both speed and consistency to be in that class.

Tamiya 312T2 ... are you sure you didn't mean the 312T3? Either way, I think that car is based on the F104W chassis which, unfortunately, is outside the rules (it's a 200mm chassis and we only allow up to 190mm). It also uses foam tires which we don't run in the UF1. However, if you can get a set of rubber tires on there (see the site for tire recommendations) you can come out and play with us in the F2 class. The 200mm chassis might have an advantage but being an older car it might work out fine. I'd love for you to come out and see what the UF1 is all about!
Old 10-15-2020, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cpatel529
I am looking for a F1 car as well to start in the F2 class. Is it spec motor/ESC like Formula-E or is it open (I currently run Maclan Pico and V2 motors in all my cars)? Debating between Exotek and Infinity (I have an infinity 4wd touring car and like the red).

Also, which are the popular bodies and does the paint scheme have to be real F1 or can it match my offroad and sedan scheme?

Chi
The F2 class is where you're going to want to start. That being said, there is no 'Spec' power system other than the entire system being ROAR legal and the motor being a 25.5T.

Right now the most popular car is for sure the Exotek. That being said, it is also probably one of the most tuneable cars - read that as complicated if you don't know what you're doing. There are alot of guys running it and everyone is super helpful, so if you're up for the challenge, I would recommend that car. There are a few other brands out there that are kicking butt - XRAY, Tamiya, etc - but we've only seen one Infinity car.

In the F2 class, I'm not too worried about paint schemes. Of course I always encourage a realistic look, but it's not mandatory. I do push the F1 class to have realistic liveries though. As far as bodies, it really depends on who you ask - some say 'this' body works, others say 'that' body works. It's really hard to say.
cpatel529 likes this.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Another question should I get the DX5C or is the or is the STX3 that I have good enough? Thanks.
STX3 should be good enough to start off with.

If you have a budget for the DX5C, it will certainly help with the added bells and whistles, but it's certainly not necessary. I would suggest a good electronics and tire selections, then just come out and drive! Learn the car, learn the track, learn to set it up and you'll be just fine.
SteveNeill likes this.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Tony thank you very much. All understood and yes a T3. It's brand new in the box and I'm starting today. Will get the rubber tires.
Where do you race? I'm in Ventura and use to long drive for my flying hobbies and events.

Lastly the radio. I have the STX3 but I was thinking if I build another car the DX5C maybe be better for the 20 model memory and a few other of the features.

What do you recommend? Thanks!
Old 10-15-2020, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Tony thank you very much. All understood and yes a T3. It's brand new in the box and I'm starting today. Will get the rubber tires.
Where do you race? I'm in Ventura and use to long drive for my flying hobbies and events.

Lastly the radio. I have the STX3 but I was thinking if I build another car the DX5C maybe be better for the 20 model memory and a few other of the features.

What do you recommend? Thanks!
Sorry, just answered your radio question.

When everything is open and running, we race at a couple different tracks around SoCal; Cal Raceway in Orange, Revelation Raceway in Montclair, URC V in Northridge and Roadrunners in Camarillo. You can also keep an eye on the schedule as it will show the tracks and dates: UF1 Racing Schedule
Old 10-16-2020, 07:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Agreed sounds like a good idea. The Roadrunners track is only a few minutes from me. AS for UF1. Can you post a link to where I can get the cars-kits for this class. I got the DX5 inbound and would like to build one up the road. So UF2 is a class too? I like forward to racing with you. Thanks, Steve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.