Search
Like Tree698Likes

Handout motors

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tonyd
I have a easy solution to hand out motors in the Touring car field. Grow a big pair and strap a 4.5 turn in and let her eat...... No motor of the month or battery. If someone is faster it's because there a better driver with a better set up car.
Well ..... since I'm 60ish, that big pair is hanging a little low, and you don't want me strapping any in single and 1/2 digit motor ..... so with your logic in place, I guess it's model trains for me right?
Old 03-29-2018, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Two things. One is sandbagging. The other is when you start up a fun class, and everyone moves into it, the few top level racers left in the pro class think hey, there's 30 guys in that class, and 5 in ours. That looks like more fun. I'm going there. Defeating the purpose of the new class. That's what's happened to VTA

*That is the fualt of a lazy race dirictor not making racers stick to there classes. Practice lap times alone should tell them who goes where.

Intermediate VTA is called USGT.
So if I drive to good I have to start running a GT body? What BS is that?

No. Both have made racing much more enjoyable. I for one don't miss the brush of the week club and comm truing every round, or having to bring 6 battery packs with you because you could only use each pack once a day. With LiPo at the end of the run you just charge it back up.

This is still true. You still need to know about setup, and the need for driving skills will never go away. The problem in electric racing is a good motor will overwhelm any lack of setup or driving skills. Handout motors takes care of that part of the equation, and makes racing more about driving.

We can argue theory all we want here. I can only go by practice. There's one track I know that has a handout motor rule for TC and 12th scale. The popularity of the class is tremendous. And the outdoor track that will open soon will use the same concept.
Then why is this forum filled with treads like this that are saying the battery, motor and, C rating of the week is making things less fun and more costly?

But you are right that we can argue this all day and get nowhere. And so, I will stick to having fun and not racing, at least on-road, til these type of posts stop showing up.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:37 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Long race day on the local level is what I was referring to. Cleveland is a destination race. You go there because you want to go there. The time between races is spent watching what the pro guys are doing to try and learn, or hanging out with friends.
It’s one of the things that’s kept me from racing more often. Hard to give up my one day off a week for maybe 40 minutes of racing.

As for handouts for new drivers. Is the track going offer solding the new motors?
Old 03-29-2018, 12:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by belewis01
Well ..... since I'm 60ish, that big pair is hanging a little low, and you don't want me strapping any in single and 1/2 digit motor ..... so with your logic in place, I guess it's model trains for me right?
You forgot building ships in a bottle and watching Lawrence Welk reruns
mooby64 likes this.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Not saying that but that is where a new set of motor rules comes in to play. And maybe if it's not mod whatever then its locked can whatever manufacture you want and turn across the entire country... But having a diff. spec motor everywhere in the country isn't the way to go either.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Or,

But some of us are just DeadWood for not wanting to brake things or just have fun with a hobby.
Lone Drifter likes this.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

I'd be happy if the local RDs would tech for weight and voltage right now. Then let the new ROAR rules settle in, but the companies with motors that fail tech need to be called out via a ROAR press release. Seems there is no penalty for selling ROAR approved, but illegal motors.
SocalSnakeEyes likes this.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

The only BL system I have is an Old, Old Mamba Max Pro and a matching aged Novak 17.5. Also a I have no clue what it is Orion 2 cell hard case. I never use the battery on account I can't remember what to charge it at.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

...., but the companies with motors that fail tech need to be called out via a ROAR press release. Seems there is no penalty for selling ROAR approved, but illegal motors.
I suspect ROAR wants all their ducks in a row first, last time they did that (duo 3.5) they got sued. Right or wrong once the lawyers get involved no-body wins.
RacinJ and Jack Kloeber like this.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Old 03-29-2018, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Antimullet

I race at Ho B Max with Perry and am getting my butt kicked again with everyone running the same motor so it must work. Lol.

So you are letting that "ole geezer" whup up on you on the track. Well, make him run on rubber tires and that should fix it!
Antimullet likes this.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by davidl
So you are letting that "ole geezer" whup up on you on the track. Well, make him run on rubber tires and that should fix it!
The guys in Md. didn’t give me the nickname “Godfather” for nothin’.
miller tyme and Antimullet like this.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

12th scale has been 8 minute heats and mains since the dawn of 12th scale, yet battery capacity has more than tripled.

And can someone explain to me why qualifiers and mains are the same length?

Because like the nitro guys, us pan heads are special. Lol
miller tyme likes this.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by davidl
Yea he’s been putting the beat down on us all lately.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Antimullet
Yea he’s been putting the beat down on us all lately.
Have him tell you how well he did against me. Let's see if he tells the truth and then sends the mob to Indiana.
Antimullet likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.