Wiki Posts
Search

Building a drift car

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 05:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Building a drift car

I am looking at building a drift car. I have a few questions.

If I go with a 4wd car do I need a Gyro?

How powerful of a motor should I get for a 1/10 drift car?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2018, 05:54 AM
Tech Lord

No gyro and no powerfull motor needed, just locked diffs and drift tires.

Dor not use a sensorless brushless motor, they do not have a smooth control.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:23 AM
Tech Regular

Which is better 2wd or 4wd?
Old 02-25-2018, 07:29 AM
Tech Lord

4wd is easier
Old 02-25-2018, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Drift has 3 variants. 4WD, CS (countersteer) or overdrive, and RWD. 4WD and CS most use 8.5T to 10.5T motors. RWD is usually 13.5T. Most use gyro with RWD. RWD is the hot thing now since most realistic and the different types have different driving styles. RWD is possibly the hardest to learn but if you want to end up there then just start there. Tires depends on surface. Lots of chassis choices. Try to stick to manufacturer that focuses on drift and that you can get parts/hopups easier.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:58 PM
Tech Regular

what is counter steer? How does that differ from 4wd
?
Old 02-25-2018, 05:10 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ryan391
what is counter steer? How does that differ from 4wd
?
With CS the front and rear wheels spin at different speed. Takes a bit to get used to.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:04 PM
Tech Regular

which cars offer that?

Is it done with diff fluid
?
Old 02-25-2018, 06:30 PM
Tech Prophet

which cars offer that?

?
MST and 3racing. I’ve got the SakuraD3 from 3Racing. I’m sure there are a few others.
You can create a bit of the CS effect with diff fluid in a standard TC. I also have a Vaterra V100 setup for drift. I use 100k diff fluid in front. And 10k in rear. It’s not the same. But it does help.
CS is ftom the belt gearing. It can be changed by using different belt pulleys. I never messed with trying to change the CS ratio on mine. Bought it used and just liked how it was.

I usually suggest starting with a standard TC. That way if you don’t stick with drift it can be used as a road car. CS cars are drift only.

I’ve also got the RWD Sakura D4. RWD is very different from 4wheel drift. Never got it to work. Just don’t have the right surface for it. And with RWD gyro is required.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the answer. I was going to get a 4wd version but you have intrigued me about the TC. Which model can pull double duty?

I was considering a blaze from Hobby king, but the 3 racing counter steer has more info it seems.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:55 PM
Tech Prophet

Thanks for the answer. I was going to get a 4wd version but you have intrigued me about the TC. Which model can pull double duty?

I was considering a blaze from Hobby king, but the 3 racing counter steer has more info it seems.
Here’s a better explanation for CS.

http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/thread...g-basics.8845/

Basically any touring car can be made to drift. I used a Vaterra because I had one sitting around. I started by just using drift tires. Then upgraded to faster servo, that made big difference. Kept the stock brushed system for about 6 months. Till it felt like the limiting factor. Then went with a drift spec brushless system ftom Novak.

It’s an old video, so quality not great. But theses are mine.

https://youtu.be/7sPQERJczb4
Old 02-25-2018, 06:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

which cars offer that?

?
It's done by changing pulley sizes to change the gear ratio between the front and rear.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Lots of good info for you to get started. If you're going to get into TC, I recommend you get a car for that then just put drift tires to go drifting which would make it a 4wd which is just as fun. Let us know how you end up.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Another resource

General
https://driftmission.com/guides/getting-started-guide/

Chassis Discussion
https://driftmission.com/guides/chassis-guide/

The progression has shifted over the years.

4wd - (referred to as 50/50) No aides other than drift tires, takes more effort by the driver to drift.

CS 4wd- taking the same 4wd car, but now changing the ratio of the wheel speed, commonly "Over-Driving" the Rear wheels, (much like a RWD specific car) in getting them to spin faster than the front wheels, in effect making the rear of the car initiate and drift easier, requires more driver input and throttle control.

RWD- the natural progression of CS- now the car is mainly RWD biased, only now it utilizes a gyro to help assist steering duties and the behavior is more closely tied to the actual movement by 1:1 RWD drift cars.

Lots of options on cars, chassis, power etc. It also depends on the surface you will be drifting on and how smooth. Power varies. My drift cars, mainly due to the areas I have to play, I don't use more than a 10.5 or 13.5. I do have an 8.5 if its a larger area and I need to carry alot of speed. most of the time, the tight tracks I use, I don't need all the power.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:25 AM
Tech Regular

I got my kids some ready to run MSI cars. They do not look as good as a lot of kits but in the basement on short nap carpet they seem to perform pretty good. I was going to get a 3racing cs car, but it was going to take a month to get. The ones I got are rwd with gyro. The wheels will turn way inside, but a lot of time the gyro prevents them from saying there. I might have to turn it down. I think I could hold the drift a little better without the gyro taking over so much.

It seems a lot of the kits that are shipping form outside the US and take a month to get here.

I am still debating on cs or rwd for me. Especially when the drift car is possibly going to cost more than my off road cars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.