Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree86Likes

3 Racing MG EVO

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 03:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by gigaplex
What kind of surface are you running on? For low grip asphalt my favourite combination right now is Sweep EXP 36 front, Solaris 28 rear. Team Powers 28 on the rear also works. Solaris 36 on the front can be really fast but it's quite twitchy with a fresh set so it's harder to drive.

A few years ago I used to run Team Powers 36 all round. It can work but you need to make sure the rears are properly scrubbed in.
I've only been to one track but I'm pretty sure that the track I run at (Cal Raceway in Orange, CA) is considered a med/low grip asphalt track (I think).

Interesting that you are using two different tires front and rear, this is my first 2wd on-road car but I hadn't thought of that! So you are using a harder compound on the rear to get it to turn better?

I found those Sweep EXPs on their site, which insert are you using soft/med/hard?

And what does "scrubbed in" mean?

Thanks for helping a noob!
Old 07-04-2022, 03:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by woofenstein
I've only been to one track but I'm pretty sure that the track I run at (Cal Raceway in Orange, CA) is considered a med/low grip asphalt track (I think).

Interesting that you are using two different tires front and rear, this is my first 2wd on-road car but I hadn't thought of that! So you are using a harder compound on the rear to get it to turn better?

I found those Sweep EXPs on their site, which insert are you using soft/med/hard?

And what does "scrubbed in" mean?

Thanks for helping a noob!
Softer compound on the rear for more stability. Being FWD, the rear tires don't generate much heat so need a bit of help to grip up.

I use the preassembled Sweeps, I'm not sure what insert they use.

Scrubbed in means they've been used a bit to take the seam line off, or alternatively use a tire sander.

From what I've heard, Cal Raceway is pretty high grip for aspalt. Talk to their locals to see what tires they use.
woofenstein likes this.
Old 07-13-2022, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by woofenstein
Hey all, I just picked up this kit to start running in the 2wd m-chassis class at my home track. I also have the M4 sport AWD but I see that's not as popular a class at my track so it doesn't get run as often.

Anyway, I'm fairly new to the hobby and very new to m-chassis. I want to find out more info about tires, I am having a hard time figuring out what to buy. It seems like there aren't as many options for m-chassis tires as TC, I figure they would be similar just smaller lol

The track I run at has open tires, so whatever I want to run. Anyone have some recommendations? I have a set of Team Powers 36R in the mail but the only place I could find them was on eBay and they are coming from HK.

So what tires are you guys running?
I have been running the MG for a little over a year at Cal. Sweep EXP's are great i run 32's in cooler weather and 36's when it gets hot. Usually get around 20 runs before times drop off noticeably. Pre-mounts with the std pink insert.

The TCS Ride 33 tires are good too but are pricey although the 60D can be a small advantage if tuned correctly to the car setup.

ActiveRC/Rush tires are also one of the tires run at in the socal area but personally i don't like the feel of the large air gap...
gigaplex and woofenstein like this.

Last edited by AM03GT; 07-13-2022 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

AM03GT and woofenstein, are you guys still running your MG EVO minis at Cal Raceway? How are they holding up against the competition, Tamiya M07/M08 and Xpress FM1s? I've been thinking about picking one up as I'd like to get into the mini class. The price is right on them at the moment. Any issue getting parts? Is the 17.5 FT or open 21.5 motor the better choice? Any upgrades that are a must-do right out of the box?
Old 05-17-2023, 10:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

I picked one off these up just because I wanted something to build. Went together pretty well but I forgot how hard it can be on your fingers for all plastic kits. Need bigger/better hex drivers.
Old 05-17-2023, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My buddy and I are trying to get a parking lot group together for some casual racing and maybe grow it out from there. We like the idea of an inexpensive mini class, so I decided to order one of these. He already has one.

Any advice on a decent "spec" tire for a parking lot? It's cool for now, but we'll be in the 80's-90's soon enough. Mixing/matching fronts and rears isn't an issue. I just don't have much recent experience on asphalt, especially not w/FWD. We'll be dusting/sugaring the track surface, but it's not a permanent track, so grip will not be high. I already order from Sweep for 1/8th scale, so those seem appealing to me.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2023, 03:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bentouttashape
My buddy and I are trying to get a parking lot group together for some casual racing and maybe grow it out from there. We like the idea of an inexpensive mini class, so I decided to order one of these. He already has one.

Any advice on a decent "spec" tire for a parking lot? It's cool for now, but we'll be in the 80's-90's soon enough. Mixing/matching fronts and rears isn't an issue. I just don't have much recent experience on asphalt, especially not w/FWD. We'll be dusting/sugaring the track surface, but it's not a permanent track, so grip will not be high. I already order from Sweep for 1/8th scale, so those seem appealing to me.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Sweep EXP 36 are good up front. I don't like their rear compounds. My favourite these days for the rear is Solaris 28.
bentouttashape likes this.
Old 05-18-2023, 09:51 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the reply. I might stick w/Sweeps on all four just to keep things simple for folks, even if it's not ideal. What kind of track temps do you normally see?
Old 05-18-2023, 01:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bentouttashape
Thanks for the reply. I might stick w/Sweeps on all four just to keep things simple for folks, even if it's not ideal. What kind of track temps do you normally see?
Ranges between 10 and 70 Celcius, typically between 20 and 40.

If you go with Sweep, stick to the newer EXP compounds. The older ones, especially the 25, are garbage on asphalt.
bentouttashape likes this.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

Perfect. Thank you. I'm going to try 36 EXP's front, and 28 rears to start. I'm thinking our track temps will be similar. If they work well enough, I think we'll end up "spec'ing" them. Trying to get everyone in at around the $200 mark.

What I'm most excited about are the body choices:

Old 05-19-2023, 09:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Threads are better with pics
gwhiz, varmint and bentouttashape like this.
Old 05-24-2023, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WhiteLX
AM03GT and woofenstein, are you guys still running your MG EVO minis at Cal Raceway? How are they holding up against the competition, Tamiya M07/M08 and Xpress FM1s? I've been thinking about picking one up as I'd like to get into the mini class. The price is right on them at the moment. Any issue getting parts? Is the 17.5 FT or open 21.5 motor the better choice? Any upgrades that are a must-do right out of the box?
yes still running and finding it very competitive. my main issue is the open rules so most racers now are gearing very low FDR and after trying to stay at 4.8 (tamiya match) for a year i've finally started to go larger pinions to make up the gap. I'm also having to adjust the setup since my previous setup was really good for the 4.8 FDR with the increased speed the car was spinning out so now i'm basically reversing the tuning theory...

tuned 21.5 is the popular choice vs the FT 17.5 i don't think i've seen anyone go that route. Upgrades aren't necessary the aluminum stuff is a little stronger but the plastic especially the motor mounting bridge will give a bit more flex. I did find that my motor was touching the chassis and causing a slight bow so cutting a small notch under the motor helps ensure a flat chassis...
Old 05-26-2023, 10:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

What's the minimum torque needed for a steering servo for this car? I wasn't paying attention and bought a 3.5kg servo (fast as heck tho).

I don't want to just try it out, may make it hard to return.
Old 05-27-2023, 12:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by varmint
What's the minimum torque needed for a steering servo for this car? I wasn't paying attention and bought a 3.5kg servo (fast as heck tho).

I don't want to just try it out, may make it hard to return.
If you're not in a rush to run the car at an upcoming event, I'd say return it and get something more in line with the current standards, say 7 to 10 kg, just for the peace of mind.
However, in a pinch I suspect it would probably work fine, especially in an M-sized car. As a kid I ran Futaba S3003s (3kg) in literally all of my cars and it worked "fine", even in 1700g buggies.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:18 AM
Tech Regular

Getting closer. Just need to finish the body and a couple of other odds and ends. Really impressive, especially for a $70 kit. Looking forward to driving it.

92mnstanger, angrymelon and gwhiz like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.