Like Tree402Likes

New Gravity Foam spec tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 04:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imprsme
I saw that myself. Lol
The bigger reason for onroad decline is listening to the constant negative nancies such as yourself complain about why everything doesn’t or can’t work.
And spouting bogus and biased stats.

And those chunked foams were especially for you and deez. I’ll sell them to ya cheap.

Besides you don’t even race anymore I don’t see you out anywhere?

And please don’t respond with your standard it’s not motor or tire or blah blah blah it’s setup and driving like ya did in the brushless tuning thread. Unless you want to continue to show your ass. You have a narrow view in this crap especially the idiot spec classes. You know at any competitive level you have to have some top line gear to include motors and fresh tires and setup and driving to compete. Maybe not at a club level but any real race your theory goes to crap. But hey what do I know just been listening to ya whine constantly over the last several years.

If you and deez are not wanting to try new things like foam in tc you can always go sandbag the VTA or USGT classes. Those are made for guys like you that need the little trophy.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Thumbs down

Started on foam.....even had more success on foam. Still prefer rubber. No amount of name calling or being disrespected is going to change my OPINION. Why is onroad falling off?.......maybe it's the people.
patorz31 and DirkW like this.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Double post delete.

Last edited by Antimullet; 01-04-2018 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Double post.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by skater-deez1
Started on foam.....even had more success on foam. Still prefer rubber. No amount of name calling or being disrespected is going to change my OPINION. Why is onroad falling off?.......maybe it's the people.
Just responding to your passive aggressive posts man. That’s disrespectful no? I’m just a little more direct in calling ya out.

If you guys don’t want to experiment with foam move on so the guys can talk about foam and not your feelings.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Only complaining I see is in this thread. I attend races at 4-5 tracks a year and don't hear the mass complaining people in this thread claim to hear.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by skater-deez1
On-road in the UK (and I think the rest of Europe) has been picking up for the past 5 years. Most of our BRCA meetings last year were fully booked with reserve lists. ETS get 300+ entries. My local outdoor track can get 60 entries on a Sunday club event. Maybe it's this VTA thing that's the issue in the US? Buy a $600 kit, stick a 25.5t motor in it, add 150g of weight to slow it down a bit more, then put on a shell that handles crap? And definitely too many classes over there. You only need 2 TC classes at an event; a fast one and a slow one.

On-road over here went through a lull during the brushed to brushless phase; that was an expensive time to be racing on-road with new motors and ESCs released every month with big performance increases. Tyres were also uncontrolled for a while which was crazy expensive and pushed lots of people to off-road. Now that the classes are stable and we have controlled tyres, the trend has reversed.

My personal opinion on the foam vs rubber debate is that foams would be better for the top 20% of drivers. The consistency between sets, and lack of dropoff between runs would make them a great option for top-level competition. But for the average driver rubbers are so much easier and more durable. I've seen club guys on foams with GT12 (and F1s a few years ago) and the tyres are always chunked and usually the wrong diameter, so their cars handle terribly.

In 17.5 blinky a club guy can get several meetings from rubbers. That'll never happen with foams as they'll be chunked within a run or two.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daleburr
In 17.5 blinky a club guy can get several meetings from rubbers. That'll never happen with foams as they'll be chunked within a run or two.
I've been pretty lucky and have only been getting chunking from hard hits to the pipe. With proper tire prep (and better driving on my part) this has been reduced to almost nil. I've been getting almost a full month of running 5 heats and 2 mains per week with ride height checks and adjustments between rounds.
Antimullet likes this.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I love the way the car drives with foams but being that the majority of my local group haven't been running onroad for over a year and are still on 25.5TC I'm all for staying with rubber.

One guy chunked a set all to hell in four runs of 25.5TC lol
two shoes likes this.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

You guys are working way to hard on both sides of this, when the solution is clear.

Mod sedan should be open tire and open esc.

Stock TC should be the same spec rubber tire and blinky ESC standards that has been the standard for a decade. I'm assuming 17.5 blinky for national events.

As always, you can allow mini tracks in podunk towns to run a 21.5 for club racing without insulting them or getting butt-hurt.

The reasons why are also simple:
Anybody who has had a tire truer in their closet for 12 years has enough practice time in to run mod, If they MUST drive foams.
If somebody has the commitment to buy a $350~600 truer, they should also have commitment to learn how to tune and drive a mild MOD motor.

25.5 TC: WTF is this about anyways? If you need Jaco Blues or Sweep 28's to keep a 25.5 car on the track, then your issues go way beyond motor choice. Bolt in a 21.5 or a 17.5 with low timing and practice. Practice practice practice, ask for setup help and practice.

21.5 TC at a national event: Not unless the ROAR organizers say it's 100% needed. When the comes it's needed, you'll know because it will be written on the entry form.
If you run 21.5 at home, buy a fresh 17.5 on the way to Snowbirds, The Gate, Motorama etc. If you can't afford a 17.5 motor, stay home and feed your kids, pay your child support and get your life together. Local club 21.5 or USGT will be there for you.

USGT and VTA are the standard for club racing at the local level in the US and they have very good spec tires that are well matched to their needs on black carpet. No need for new or slightly different TC classes. Accept this and move on.
GrandeGixxer and mleemor60 like this.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For some reason your tone irritates me. It seems a bit disdainful of local racers who still think this is a hobby and not a profession and those who cant just drop $150 "on the way to Snowbirds" to pick up yet another new motor. Its people like you that make me want to stay home and "get my life together" instead of dealing with snobs.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

He’s right. Too many classes for the same chassis type.
iTz Nicholas72 likes this.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

I don't understand , Why there is this ridicules view that some drivers think that thier idea of a class is virtuous, and that other persons class as being contemptible.
Saying that someone should not have a class to race at a national race, Because you dont belive in it that is ridicules. TC21.5 ? if you dont step up to 17.5 , stay home and pay your Child Support! WTF.
I'm not trying to be critical but the UK racing scene has little to do with what we do in Illinois .,VTA and USGT are some of the bigger classes here and there a large proportion of racers doing it are capable of racing any class they want to.
People being critical of 25.5 TC , Why? If you have a heat of 17.5 or Mod what do you care you are racing. The people racing 25.5 TC or VTA may not want to race with you anyway .
If you want to see something depressing go see a National 1/24 scale production slot car race Not one person under 65 , Seen turn marshalls with walkers (God Bless them). That could be the Fate of RC onroad racing. It is far more inaccessible to new people then offroad racing. I see more Kids and New people on Off Road racing, almost none in On Road.
I'm just a little tired of the negativity
Old 01-04-2018, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SpeedySST
For some reason your tone irritates me. It seems a bit disdainful of local racers who still think this is a hobby and not a profession and those who cant just drop $150 "on the way to Snowbirds" to pick up yet another new motor. Its people like you that make me want to stay home and "get my life together" instead of dealing with snobs.
Nope, you got me wrong. I have a lot of love for club racing and I often don't have the money to travel myself anymore. When I do , I'm in the F or G main.

I'm irritated by people trying to hijack a national racing class based on what they practice with in little barn in a corn field. Having watched rubber TC get split into 4 TC classes by motor so everyone gets a trophy has been hard to watch.

If you can't spend $100 on a 17.5 motor, how can you afford a hotel hundreds of miles away. $150 motors are a choice, not a requirement.

If running that special 21.5 motor you just bought is the issue, you can run it. Just check off the box that says USGT and they will will give you a new set of USGT tires for free with your entry. So now your net loss is $25 for a body.

Foam Mod TC is probably the first legitimate reason to add a TC class in 15 years and guys seem to be pushing back based on too many rubber tire TC classes. I'm only pointing out an obvious solution that might have other good side effects. How many times has somebody wished that the sponsored drivers had another place to focus, rather than taking trophy's from regular guys in USGT?

Is it perfect for me? Not 100% perfect as I would rather see a 40 durometer Purple foam with a 45 durometer outside ring on the front, outer 6 mm.
It's not about me though and others seem to like the tires in the OP. Just my opinion based on my results racing 13.5 foam TC in 2004~2005.

Let's face it, every guy on RC Tech has an idea for a special class just for themselves. Mine is foam tire WGT with a 9.5 motor. I'm not going to ask for my class to be created by breaking up a national class. My next trip to the track I will race USGT using the spec items required by national rules.
Antimullet likes this.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1
Big race etiquette and rules are what drives the local club scene rules for the most part. What you are saying is that what happens on Sunday don't matter what sells on Monday??
Also, that may be at YOUR club. At a lot of them I have been to, they race the club level, just as they do the national level. I have been doing this since 1986, so I have seen a lot in this hobby, lol. What I do at the big races, i do at the club level. It is the only way to prepare for the races in my opinion. As for racers with a budget, we have those was well, they just don't do what the racers that go to races do, and they are happy where they finish.
Here is a question. When you race at your club, do you even try to win or are you happy with just driving? Either way is fine, not to be disparaging.
I do race at a higher level than most in our area but I wont spend $500 on tires for a club race weekend which is why I commented on comparing the cost of attending large races vs club racing. I might spend this much on tires for the whole year though...
To argue your point about large races driving club race formats, I'd have to say that I have never been to any club race where handout motors or tires were mandatory. There has never been a limit on sets of tires used either. I race to win and often podium or win many of the classes I run. I always have to weigh the cost of running a new set of tires vs the potential gain it would generate for the level of competition at the time. Big races do to your point, create guidelines for running an efficient race format and address potential pitfalls that arise from the complexity of running multiple classes that require a level playing field to ensure fairness. I too have been doing this for a long time and have served as a club official in the past. I have been a race director for both club level races as well as national events so I've been there and done that.
It's never my intention to disparage anyone in these forums and I always do appreciate everyone's perspective and opinions.

Last edited by YoDog; 01-04-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

The problem in my opinion is not when you have 100+ entries, it’s when you have 20.
Antimullet likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.