R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   New Gravity Foam spec tire (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/1003782-new-gravity-foam-spec-tire.html)

Marcos.J 11-27-2017 12:27 PM

New Gravity Foam spec tire
 
Hmm

Red RC ? RC Car News Gravity RC G-Spec Type F touring car foam tyres

Antimullet 11-27-2017 01:15 PM

Yes please!!

trilerian 11-27-2017 01:19 PM

I wonder how many runs you can get out of them? I remember towards the end of foam tires with the parma 53s, one race night was it... I try to get 3 race nights out of current rubber tires, then they goto the practice bin.

Chris Adams 11-27-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trilerian (Post 15088845)
I wonder how many runs you can get out of them? I remember towards the end of foam tires with the parma 53s, one race night was it... I try to get 3 race nights out of current rubber tires, then they goto the practice bin.

The testing that has been done at my local track with nitro foams (not these), it looks like they wear about a mm every 15 runs

Racermac73 11-27-2017 01:27 PM

Gets my vote !!

iTz Nicholas72 11-27-2017 01:41 PM

Ordering two sets. One for Grey carpet and one for some parking lot asphalt. Curious how they'll hold up...

DavidNERODease 11-27-2017 01:43 PM

So why do these tires exist? I'm not throwing rocks or anything just unclear on what the point is? What is the logic behind bringing back foam for TC - not saying there isn't logic - just honestly don't know why?

heretic 11-27-2017 01:44 PM

Just when we thought we were rid of foam tires for good in TC... :lol:

JeffC 11-27-2017 02:05 PM

I have nothing against foam tires; but do we really need to introduce another touring car class‽

Mod, 13.5, 17.5, 21.5, USGT, VTA... now how many of those will have rubber and foam variants?

Is the assumption that foam tires will replace rubber for some of those classes (presumably ROAR classes)? Or am I just missing something?

Airwave 11-27-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffC (Post 15088887)
I have nothing against foam tires; but do we really need to introduce another touring car class‽

Mod, 13.5, 17.5, 21.5, USGT, VTA... now how many of those will have rubber and foam variants?

Is the assumption that foam tires will replace rubber for some of those classes (presumably ROAR classes)? Or am I just missing something?

USA dude! There will be enough different classes when every pilot can bring a medal back home! :lol:

I've ran Serpent Natrix with foam, lola body and a solid electronic configuration (XR10 + LiHV 2s + HW V10 4.5T) and just to be clear, it is an adrenaline rush! But this car is designed to endure so much power (~1000W)... And I wouldn't use that as a racing category... And the budget is very high... You are going the wrong way my friends...:nod:

miller tyme 11-27-2017 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trilerian (Post 15088845)
I wonder how many runs you can get out of them? I remember towards the end of foam tires with the parma 53s, one race night was it... I try to get 3 race nights out of current rubber tires, then they goto the practice bin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Adams (Post 15088848)
The testing that has been done at my local track with nitro foams (not these), it looks like they wear about a mm every 15 runs

I had 4 runs and saw less than about 0.4-5mm of wear

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airwave (Post 15088919)
USA dude! There will be enough different classes when every pilot can bring a medal back home! :lol:

Agreed, but since most don't run Mod anyway, should not effect the all the funsters wanting medals

I've ran Serpent Natrix with foam, lola body and a solid electronic configuration (XR10 + LiHV 2s + HW V10 4.5T) and just to be clear, it is an adrenaline rush! But this car is designed to endure so much power (~1000W)... And I wouldn't use that as a racing category... And the budget is very high... You are going the wrong way my friends...:nod:

Maybe wrong way for your track configurations, size and carpet. But after watching it, running it, comparing numerous factors, I think it has merit.

geeunit1014 11-27-2017 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miller tyme (Post 15088953)
Maybe wrong way for your track configurations, size and carpet. But after watching it, running it, comparing numerous factors, I think it has merit.

Does it? The idea was proposed as you don't have to true or glue tires, which I think everyone is all for. But after watching everyone flip off the track in the main, obviously if it was competitive everyone would be cutting tires, and we are right back where we were 10 years ago.

Watching Paul and Keven rip around looks fun, but watching everyone else destroy themselves makes me think for the better of everyone going backwards in time is just going backwards

Racermac73 11-27-2017 04:39 PM

Back in time isn't always a bad thing.. we would all be on grey carpet and glue wouldn't be needed for anything :)

theproffesor 11-27-2017 06:15 PM

I hated foams back in the day. All the different shore ratings and trueing down and one run tires that chuncked up. F that noise. Rubber was soooo much better once we figured out premounts.

But... IF (and I hope they do) they hold up to the hype and we can come up with a reasonable consensus about trueing down to the rim to keep from one run tires (this will be the hardest thing to figure out), then I think we have a winner on our hands. Simple one shore one size tire. That is actually pretty inexpensive.

Hope it works. All this sidewall glueing is a bit ridiculous.

davidl 11-27-2017 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theproffesor (Post 15089126)
I hated foams back in the day. All the different shore ratings and trueing down and one run tires that chuncked up. F that noise. Rubber was soooo much better once we figured out premounts.

But... IF (and I hope they do) they hold up to the hype and we can come up with a reasonable consensus about trueing down to the rim to keep from one run tires (this will be the hardest thing to figure out), then I think we have a winner on our hands. Simple one shore one size tire. That is actually pretty inexpensive.

Hope it works. All this sidewall glueing is a bit ridiculous.

I agree that putting glue on the sidewalls of a tire is ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as cutting down the diameter of a foam tire to make the car handle in certain conditions.

My preference would be to reduce the sidewall size of the rubber tire where the tire would act like a true radial tire on the highway or the racing pavement. At least, I believe the problem with current rubber tires is the height of the sidewall.

And maybe we can get the correct sidewall for the 1/12 scale rubber tires when they come on the scene. Sure to get flamed on this one.


All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:15 AM.

Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net