Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New Gravity Foam spec tire >

New Gravity Foam spec tire

Like Tree398Likes

New Gravity Foam spec tire

Reply

Old 11-27-2017, 11:27 AM
  #1  
Tech Legend
Thread Starter
iTrader: (199)
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 28,894
Trader Rating: 199 (100%+)
Default New Gravity Foam spec tire

Hmm

Red RC ? RC Car News Gravity RC G-Spec Type F touring car foam tyres
Bartolo Racing likes this.
Marcos.J is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:15 PM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (57)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 2,752
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Yes please!!
Marcos.J likes this.
Antimullet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:19 PM
  #3  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: north-west Indiana
Posts: 832
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

I wonder how many runs you can get out of them? I remember towards the end of foam tires with the parma 53s, one race night was it... I try to get 3 race nights out of current rubber tires, then they goto the practice bin.
trilerian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:25 PM
  #4  
Tech Master
 
Chris Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dallas,Texas
Posts: 1,014
Default

Originally Posted by trilerian View Post
I wonder how many runs you can get out of them? I remember towards the end of foam tires with the parma 53s, one race night was it... I try to get 3 race nights out of current rubber tires, then they goto the practice bin.
The testing that has been done at my local track with nitro foams (not these), it looks like they wear about a mm every 15 runs
Ggrant likes this.
Chris Adams is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:27 PM
  #5  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
Racermac73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Palmyra, Virginia
Posts: 1,752
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Gets my vote !!
Antimullet likes this.
Racermac73 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:41 PM
  #6  
Tech Master
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,730
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Ordering two sets. One for Grey carpet and one for some parking lot asphalt. Curious how they'll hold up...
iTz Nicholas72 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:43 PM
  #7  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 898
Default

So why do these tires exist? I'm not throwing rocks or anything just unclear on what the point is? What is the logic behind bringing back foam for TC - not saying there isn't logic - just honestly don't know why?
simple and benTC5 like this.
DavidNERODease is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:44 PM
  #8  
Tech Master
 
heretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: europe
Posts: 1,110
Default

Just when we thought we were rid of foam tires for good in TC...
ottoman, benTC5 and skater-deez1 like this.
heretic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:05 PM
  #9  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Kenyon, MN
Posts: 758
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I have nothing against foam tires; but do we really need to introduce another touring car class‽

Mod, 13.5, 17.5, 21.5, USGT, VTA... now how many of those will have rubber and foam variants?

Is the assumption that foam tires will replace rubber for some of those classes (presumably ROAR classes)? Or am I just missing something?
JeffC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:40 PM
  #10  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Airwave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,016
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
I have nothing against foam tires; but do we really need to introduce another touring car class‽

Mod, 13.5, 17.5, 21.5, USGT, VTA... now how many of those will have rubber and foam variants?

Is the assumption that foam tires will replace rubber for some of those classes (presumably ROAR classes)? Or am I just missing something?
USA dude! There will be enough different classes when every pilot can bring a medal back home!

I've ran Serpent Natrix with foam, lola body and a solid electronic configuration (XR10 + LiHV 2s + HW V10 4.5T) and just to be clear, it is an adrenaline rush! But this car is designed to endure so much power (~1000W)... And I wouldn't use that as a racing category... And the budget is very high... You are going the wrong way my friends...
Airwave is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:27 PM
  #11  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
miller tyme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,868
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by trilerian View Post
I wonder how many runs you can get out of them? I remember towards the end of foam tires with the parma 53s, one race night was it... I try to get 3 race nights out of current rubber tires, then they goto the practice bin.
Originally Posted by Chris Adams View Post
The testing that has been done at my local track with nitro foams (not these), it looks like they wear about a mm every 15 runs
I had 4 runs and saw less than about 0.4-5mm of wear

Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
USA dude! There will be enough different classes when every pilot can bring a medal back home!

Agreed, but since most don't run Mod anyway, should not effect the all the funsters wanting medals

I've ran Serpent Natrix with foam, lola body and a solid electronic configuration (XR10 + LiHV 2s + HW V10 4.5T) and just to be clear, it is an adrenaline rush! But this car is designed to endure so much power (~1000W)... And I wouldn't use that as a racing category... And the budget is very high... You are going the wrong way my friends...
Maybe wrong way for your track configurations, size and carpet. But after watching it, running it, comparing numerous factors, I think it has merit.
Antimullet likes this.
miller tyme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:17 PM
  #12  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (12)
 
geeunit1014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The dirty burnie
Posts: 5,550
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
Maybe wrong way for your track configurations, size and carpet. But after watching it, running it, comparing numerous factors, I think it has merit.
Does it? The idea was proposed as you don't have to true or glue tires, which I think everyone is all for. But after watching everyone flip off the track in the main, obviously if it was competitive everyone would be cutting tires, and we are right back where we were 10 years ago.

Watching Paul and Keven rip around looks fun, but watching everyone else destroy themselves makes me think for the better of everyone going backwards in time is just going backwards
geeunit1014 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:39 PM
  #13  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
Racermac73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Palmyra, Virginia
Posts: 1,752
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Back in time isn't always a bad thing.. we would all be on grey carpet and glue wouldn't be needed for anything
Rick Vessell and Antimullet like this.
Racermac73 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:15 PM
  #14  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (59)
 
theproffesor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lugoff SC
Posts: 3,036
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

I hated foams back in the day. All the different shore ratings and trueing down and one run tires that chuncked up. F that noise. Rubber was soooo much better once we figured out premounts.

But... IF (and I hope they do) they hold up to the hype and we can come up with a reasonable consensus about trueing down to the rim to keep from one run tires (this will be the hardest thing to figure out), then I think we have a winner on our hands. Simple one shore one size tire. That is actually pretty inexpensive.

Hope it works. All this sidewall glueing is a bit ridiculous.
theproffesor is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:31 PM
  #15  
Tech Master
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,200
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
I hated foams back in the day. All the different shore ratings and trueing down and one run tires that chuncked up. F that noise. Rubber was soooo much better once we figured out premounts.

But... IF (and I hope they do) they hold up to the hype and we can come up with a reasonable consensus about trueing down to the rim to keep from one run tires (this will be the hardest thing to figure out), then I think we have a winner on our hands. Simple one shore one size tire. That is actually pretty inexpensive.

Hope it works. All this sidewall glueing is a bit ridiculous.
I agree that putting glue on the sidewalls of a tire is ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as cutting down the diameter of a foam tire to make the car handle in certain conditions.

My preference would be to reduce the sidewall size of the rubber tire where the tire would act like a true radial tire on the highway or the racing pavement. At least, I believe the problem with current rubber tires is the height of the sidewall.

And maybe we can get the correct sidewall for the 1/12 scale rubber tires when they come on the scene. Sure to get flamed on this one.
davidl is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service