Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 07:56 PM
Tech Addict

Reedy spec the MVP with #766's so that helps. I looked at the Trinity brush listing and you can go either copper hard or the silver short life ones for Stock.
I had heard conflicting reports, either full face or vertical slot brushes and was still trying to figure which way to go. I'll most likely end up with Peak Spitfire brushes. due to the ease of getting hold of them.
Old 09-24-2001, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Most everybody used silver stock brushes, the trinity 4499s are, as are the reedy 767, 766 etc.
Old 09-24-2001, 11:57 PM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

There's been some talk about weighing down the cars. I use ordinary stick on wheel balancing weights made for car tyres.

I don't take chances though. I have seen too many people disqualified after being found underweight, so I bolt my weights to the chassis.

There isn't much space for weights in the Special. Basically you can either put them alongside the pinion, or up front. Use your weights to adjust the car handling. I am now running mine right up front - ahead of the front bulkhead, held on with the bodymount support screw. It helped give the car more steering.

Darkside, any of you guys going to Indy for the GP. We have our first championship meeting Sunday afternoon, but that should be over in time to watch the GP. Can Montoya do the double?

The bikes were great last Sunday - all three classes. I missed the hill climb because my race car is still in bits. Hope to make it for the next round in three weeks time.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 09-25-2001, 03:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Brushes !

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Do you know where I can buy such silver brushes from?
Old 09-25-2001, 05:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Johnbull:

I mount my weights right under the servo as close as possible to the center of the car. It makes the car's weigh more centralize and lower...it's the sweet spot
Old 09-25-2001, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hehe- I stole this from the XXX-S thread. Losi's use standard thread screws, but we can probably benefit from this!!

Found a place that has Titanium Screws. I worte down all the screws that the XXX-S has and tomorrow I am going to call them and see how much the set cost for all the screws. Here is a link to their site.

http://mdmetric.com/

Mike Webb
I can't get on the phone today- too much work to do. Somebody that knows all the screw sizes for the Special should call and get a quote on the price.
Old 09-25-2001, 06:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

BigDogRacing: That's very resourceful of you.
Old 09-25-2001, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Default Why Baker left Yokomo

Ok guys,
we talked about this earlier, but I got insight now on what really went down.

One major reason for Barry's departure from Yokomo was, that the new car (special) does not perform as well as the older version. Barry told Yokomo that from the release of the special on and nobody would listen.
The Yokomo team drivers are NOW allowed to either run the old or new chassis. That should tell us something.

The other big reason was that the rivalery between Barry and Chris Tosolini obviously got out of hand, to a point where they did only race each other and not the race anymore.

Barry was on a roll last year with the MR4TC pro and had a really bad year since the special came out........
Old 09-25-2001, 12:35 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Stefan: Thanks for the info. I wont even bother saying "I told you so" guys!

Like I said the sudden dry up in Yokomo wins after the release of the Special had nothing to do with there "just being more quality competition" as someone said to me once before when I suggested the same thing that Stefan just said. Why would you tell your drivers to stop using a car they are winning left and right with.

I like the way the special looks. I was a Yokomo owner who was dying to get my hands on the SP. conversion when they first released it. So I'm not flaming the car. I just think the Pro/Worlds is better. A guy at our local track who used to run the Pro, but upgraded to the special and hasn't gotten the car to perform as well as his Pro did. While a guy still running the ORIGINAL MR4tc can clean up on the competition at anytime.

Put that together with Tosilini's complaining about the car the very first time he used it at a big event and Barry leaving the team, and the fact that Yokomo's seriously dominant winning streak ended as soon as they started using the new chassis and its pretty clear that they didn't get something right with the Sp.

But, what? I mean the car looks as though it should have been better than the Pro/Worlds or atleast just as good. I just don't get it. I guess looks aren't everything.

Last edited by Darkseid; 09-25-2001 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-25-2001, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Interesting discussion here about the special chassis and likes and dislikes.

Obviously my driving cannot be compared to the likes of Baker, Masami and co. However I did find the special much more to my liking than the Pro. I would say this is probably because it is more forgiving. It flexes and this softens up the mistakes us lesser mortals make. I suppose Baker and co are so used to driving a car which handles just as they please to set it up that they find the special a bit mushy...soft....like a blamanche...as someone once described his race car to me.

Whilst again not being in the Spashett / Baker league, my son Josh always complains that my special is too soft and insensitive. He likes his cars to be much more rigid, precise and responsive.

So my conclusion is that the special is a better car for us lesser mortals, but perhaps not such a good thing for the guys at the top. What do you guys think?

It's almost half past midnight here. I've just finished going over my son's TC3 - took it all apart, washed out bearings, rebuilt diffs, etc. It certainly rolls much more freely. Incidentally it's the first time I have taken it apart in 3 years. It was one of the first batch of 100 C3s exported to Europe and it has gone wonderfully ever since.

Because of the fact that I have been so busy with Josh's car recently my Yoke has had to take a bit of a back seat for a while. However I should pick up a parcel tomorrow containing some 138G tyres which you all race about, so I will try them out tomorrow evening. I am presently running HP1 33s with the yellow moulded inserts, and it runs well. possible even more grip than the Pits. In fact Josh tried them on the TC3 and went back to Pits D30s saying the HPIs had too much bite for his liking.

Mark, I have various silver brushes if you would like to try, but remember they will play havoc with your commutator.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 09-25-2001, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Johnbull,

I never made the switch to the special so I don't have a real comparison, but your idea sounds VERY plausable.

I run the Penguin lower chassis and I love it.
Stiff as it can be, light and absolutely tweak free...
Old 09-25-2001, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Yes, I found the special to be much more forgiving and drivable. I think johnbull has come upon a good idea! But I don't know if it has as much to do with us "lesser mortals" as you put it, or just different driving styles. I drive fairly agressively, and with the special being softer, it is easier for me to do that. Perhaps Baker/Tossolini have a more laid back driving style. I'm not saying layed back is bad, it is just what works for you.

As for brushes, if a hobby store doesn't stock brushes, they suck. Probably the most purchased item on a racer's list. The likes of Tower, Stormer etc should all have them. For stock motors, try the 4499 from trinity, or 767 from reedy. I have found the 767's to have slightly more power and quicker spool up, where-as the 4499s on the dyno push out lower friction numbers.

johnbull- how old is your, son, and he can't work on his own RC CAR Heck, I'm 13 and I do everything from cutting motors to diffs to bearings. Maybe you should talk to him about doing some work hehe

Josh
Old 09-25-2001, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

Wink

Senna,
As JohnBull says, the silver brushes are a bit vicious on the comm. The payoff is increased power but you really need access to a lathe so you can service your motor regularly. Most Hobby shops that sell major "brand name" motor accessories should be able to hook you up.

Johnbull,
I like the SP, I run it fixed drive most of the time(Using parts of the PRO transmission). Even when using one ways, the car is OK. It's interesting that the factory guys now have the option of which chassis to use...

When you run the 138G's, If possible, use tyre warmers. The first few laps can be "Interesting" otherwise.

Got my MVP today. I ran some Tamiya ceramic grease on the bushings first to break them in. Ran that for a while to heat everything up. I'll take it apart, clean it out, Put Brasso on the bushings and run again til hot. I'll clean it out AGAIN and then skim the comm. I've soldered the brushes to the brush hoods too.
hat should be a good, basic start.
Old 09-25-2001, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

I don't know of anyone who doesn't run silver brushes in stock motors, lets put it that way. All competition stock motors come with silver brushes anyway.
Old 09-25-2001, 08:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Original seal drivetrain MR4-TC

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has any experience with the original sealed
drivetrain MR4-TC. I am very tempting to convert my MR4-TCR to the original MR4-TC sealed version because my local track is very dusty. I also noticed that a few people have mentioned that MR4-TCPRO might be too sniff, and that's why most people will mill their upper deck. Since the original MR4-TC has a single backbone, I wonder if it might be better in handling.

Please advise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.