Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Got some pics up of my Yoke towards the end of the season, about 5 months ago...

http://community.webshots.com/user/josh7667
Old 08-25-2002, 07:26 PM
Tech Addict

Wink

Well, other than a new Yokomo(when and if it's released), what would everyone suggest I get?

I like the Tamiya 414M2 but don't like the thought of taping cells into it or having to buy a front diff.

Spares for X-Ray, Losi, Tamiya, Associated, etc aren't available trackside. Only Yokomo and that was a big reason for staying with the brand.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Taping cells in isn't that bad, I did it when I got my pro until I made the TC3 strap mod.

As for the front one-way - any kit that comes with one is a bonus for me. Are you sure you can't get one to work at your track?

If Losi comes out with a worlds edition XXXS, I'll be looking at that, the Tamiya and the new yoke, if there is one.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:04 PM
Tech Addict

Well it looks like the opposite of Christmas here, both cars have sold this morning.

I'm about to start packing up the YZ10 as there's nothing to remove from it, the MR4 will be done tomorrow, if there's time as it's a bit more involved.

What this means is no car for a while, I'll probably get a bit anxious over the next few months(especially if the weather improves and the club racing doesn't get cancelled) but I will be able to buy whatever's "new and exciting" at the end of the year.

Who would have thought a Tamiya would be an option?, it's like travelling back the 14 odd years I've been racing....
Old 08-25-2002, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

When does racing typically start for you Simon?
Old 08-26-2002, 04:01 AM
Tech Addict

Wink

Well, my years racing is all year round at club level.
Every first and third Sunday I think.

Unfortunately when we get to Winter, this gets put off to whenever it's not cold, windy and raining. At the moment it's been a couple of months since I raced at my home track.

During Winter I drive North to an indoor drivers series, once a month for four months. This is 500 kilometres from home so it's a bit of a mission. Usually there would be two or three peeps in the car but this year, only me. I've been going to this series since 1989. It's a good weekend away normally.

There are a few meetings run over the end of the year in the summer. North island champs, South island champs then a break til the Nationals in Late January.
Early March and its a 350 kilometre drive to a Nitro/Electric mixed race meeting that gets held over the weekend of my Birthday(It's not for me though)

After that, it's winter so we're back up the top of this post....."Groundhog day!"

Last edited by Simon K; 08-26-2002 at 04:05 AM.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm sure the new yoke will be out sometime around the holiday season. Since they probably already have the car they will probably be running it a the Japanese Nats in the end of Sept.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, hopefully we can get a look at it at the Japanese nationals...If there's nothing new then, I'll opt for something else.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

I've heard that it is supposed to be a completely different beast. Saddle packs, mid chassis motor placement, and rear gear/ front belt drive train. But I guess we won't know for sure until September or later.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:58 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

All this talk of a new car when really the old one is more than capable of winning any race it is entered in. 3 cars in the A mian at the Worlds is more than proof. It was designed well the first time and has only needed small improvements over the last year or two to more than keep up with the others.

I think Yoke needs to promote their cars a little better and get more of them out their. At least in our area you barely know they exist. They need better part support and just better overall support. I really think if they pushed harder and had more team drivers like Losi and Associated has they would have even more success.

We are lucky with touring car racing as you have alot of great cars to choose from. Many cars from 2 to 3 years ago are still capable of winning. The thing that stands out is who has better service and parts support.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:00 AM
Tech Addict

The reason why I'm talking about the new car isn't because the old car isn't a capable racer it is because once yoke has a new car out the parts availability for the MR4 series will get bad. I currently have good parts support and customer service support since I live about an hour from yokomo usa in Irvine, and my local track carries yokomo parts. Eventhough I can get parts now it will be harder when yokomo shifts its attention to the new car. A good example of this is the lack of parts for their earlier series' of cars.

I agree that yokomo should put together a bigger team. They sponser only a few American drivers so their popularity suffers. I think they should sponser more drivers at a local level so that their products become more popular at the club level.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

I was thinking about the mr-4 Pro special.... would it be too late to get one if a new ones coming out soon???
Old 08-27-2002, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

The Sp is a good car, but it may already be to late to get one. I think Yokomo has already stopped producing the kits becasue I haven't seen one for a while now. It may be possible to find a kit, but if you do it may be hard for to find parts in the future. If your planning on buying a new car it would probably be best to wait for the new yoke to come out or look at another brand.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:34 AM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wyd
[B]All this talk of a new car when really the old one is more than capable of winning any race it is entered in. 3 cars in the A mian at the Worlds is more than proof. It was designed well the first time and has only needed small improvements over the last year or two to more than keep up with the others.

Right, they had 3 cars in the A main but I just watched the race on video and Masami was sliding all over the place so there was clearly something wrong with the car.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

There seems to be lots of talk of new Yokes, but is there anything to substantiate it.

We all know Masami spent quite a bit of time playing with a prototype just before the Worlds in South Africa, then went for the tried and tested Special MR4.

I agree that the biggest problem is not the car itself. I still reckon that in the right hands the MR4 Special is as competitive as anything. What Yoke need is a bit of publicity - getting more top class drivers to drive Yokes, and yes, as someone else said - encouraging some good club drivers to run Yokes.

You are quite right - Yokes are becoming rare beasts at meetings these days, simply because all the other manufacturers are really pushing whilst Yoke just huddle in Japan.

I think the best example of good PR is X Ray. The way these guys boast about their car you would think it is winning absolutely everything. In reality it hasn't won one big event. In Europe certainly there only seems to be one driver capable of making the X ray run well, and that is Gilles Groskamp. But then we all know it's Gilles that's good.

I have been playing with both my Yoke and my son's TC3 this summer and I have to say that at the end of the day I feel happier driving the Yoke. It seems just that little bit more in control.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.