Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 08:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

I need a set-up for asphalt track, the track is small with lots of corners, very technical.
I will use MR4TC Special with rubber tires.
Do you have a set-up to share ?

Thanks
Old 04-24-2002, 09:17 PM
Tech Adept

that would be kind of cool with a front shaft and rear belt. a cool design would be double shaft, one in front and one in the rear
Old 04-25-2002, 03:02 AM
Tech Addict

Wink

Like a nitro 8th scale off road car perhaps?
Mount the motor near the front of the car, spur gear assembly in the middle and have a seperate shaft going to each of the front and rear gearboxes?

Batteries mounted on the other side, in line or at the rear as saddles?

It works with Nitro cars car but will it be OK in something smaller where drivetrain efficiency is paramount?

Last edited by Simon K; 04-25-2002 at 03:05 AM.
Old 04-25-2002, 03:48 AM
Tech Elite

ive been speaking to some associates in HK and they are certain that no one out side of yokomo has seen the new car (there is one though!) - but it is apparently slated for 'release' in august?
Old 04-25-2002, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Add two months to the release

Why two shafts? No point, really. It would simply add weight. In fact, I can't very well see why a shaft and a belt would be good from a performance perspective...Guess they must be different...
Old 04-25-2002, 07:19 PM
Tech Addict

Wink

I think the current transmission is definately one of the best(Efficiency wise), if they were to adopt a chassis layout similar to the YMP MX4 conversion, most of the parts would be already available.
With some minor reworking to get the belts sorted and chassis/top deck right, there you go-new car.
Old 04-25-2002, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Simon, nice avatar

I guess that would work, but I would rather see them do a completely new car, I've had enough of the whole conversion thing.

Speedo
Old 04-25-2002, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

certainly in asia there is a bit of a swing towards mid motored cars, perhaps giving the mx conversion idea some merit.

release 2 months later in the rest of the world perhaps, they'll be in HK in august!!!!!
Old 04-25-2002, 09:52 PM
Tech Regular

SimonK : Nice Tanaka Mitsu Evo 7 there dude : )
do you actually own one of them microcars?

As for the new Yok, I am of the opinion that a "traditional" two belt should be the best compromise btw weight, simplicity, effiency etc . A mid motor sounds good but it should be noted the heaviest component of a ELECTRIC rc car is not its motor, its the batteries. There are of coz advantages to mounting the motor dead centre but I am inclined to think that is most apparent when you are jumping the car (a no-no in touring : P )
Will be interesting to see where they are going with the new car, I'm quite happy with my Special as it is : )
Hehehehe, if they release the new acr in August, it will only be early next year b4 my local distributor will have it in stock : P
Old 04-26-2002, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

In my opinion, the car is excellent the way it is. Obviously, a few changes would be nice like droop screws, an optional carpet chassis and top deck, but the current car is fully capable of winning in any arena. A few improvements would just make it better. Unfortunately, the need to "unveil" a new car and "win" some more customers is the name of the game. As it stands, those of us with all of these SP's and parts will take quite a loss when a "newer, better" Yokomo car comes out. I think most of us on this forum have been around long enough to realize that winning big races has more to do with the driver and to be perfectly honest, luck plays a larger part than anything else when you are at the level of competition Tossolini, Lemieux, Kinwald etc. are at.

I would like to see Masami take his current SP, opitimize the set up for a certain track, make a few runs, then take the new car and try to beat those times. I'm going to say he would be hard pressed to do so if it were a totally unbiased test.

Let's refer back to the TC3- relesed in 1999, it is still a very competitive and fast car. Yes, the original needs to be upgraded to the newer TC3 specs, but the basic car is very fast and hard to beat. I believe we have reached a plateau where we are merely buying "newer" cars, not neccessarily "better" cars. Look at the Pro3- you would be hard pressed to take an out-of-the-box Pro # and beat a good Pro 2. The Mission is sort of an exception- it's better than the Axis 2, but not a truckload better, just marginally better.

One last note- I do believe the suspension geometry needs to be addressed. The Tosolini camber mods made a believer out of me on that, and I have to think there must be some room for improvement.

So in closing, I argee that conversions are getting old, but if you could take what we have and make it better without costing us a ton of money to convert to a totally new chassis, then why not? I really like my special, so just fix what's wrong with it and let's keep what we have- like the TC3 guys. Look at the TC3- they are still selling like hotcakes every time somebody wins a big event. So take all that money spent on research for a new car and spend it on drivers. Maybe a few "established" winners, and maybe some new up-and-coming blood. If Mike Reedy can do it, than why not Papa Hirosaki (sp?- plz excuse).

Someone please give me hand stepping off my soap box....
Old 04-26-2002, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Big Dog, you put a new chassis together with new suspension geometry, and you pretty much have a new car. The transmission just doesn't agree with me either. Don't get me wrong, it is arite, but I think it could definately be improved.

Another area that could use some inspection would be maintanance. The yoke is one of the harder cars out there to work on, even the XXX-S is easier and it has a sealed train.

Yeah, the current car is good, but if Sr. and Jr. Hirosaka get it right, a new car will be better. I think we are lucky that yokomo have stayed with the MR-4 for so long, it is not custom for them, and it was nice to just be able to buy a conversion and not a whole new car, however, I just think it would be nice to have a new car.

Speedo
Old 04-26-2002, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'll give you that Speedo- in fact, I now carry my old Makita 7.2volt drill and the neccessary allens with the legs cut off to speed up the assembly/disassembly of the car. I should note that with my cheater drill (I hand tighten everything) I can work on the car faster than anyone else using hand tools- not much of a comparison- but I overcame the problem is my point- anyway, the bottom line is that if they are INDEED going to revamp the Yokomo TC, it better be improved top to bottom, with all the current bugs fixed, and a LOT faster- otherwise, I'll just keep what I got! lol

I think there was a little venting mixed in with my prior post because I feel that the industry is overwhelming us as customers by making us think we must buy the newest, latest, greatest car to be #1 and I think this will be one of the things that puts this hobby back into a slump again. It happens every few years- would you agree?
Old 04-26-2002, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

I agree with you there, this hobby is like that and you have to decide what you need/really want and what you can pass up. Example - P2K2...If you need another stock motor, go for it, otherwise it will not make you a spec faster than with an MVP, P2K or maybe even GM3.

On the other hand, you have things like 3000 mahr batteries. If you plan on running mod competitevly, you need these batteries.

It all comes down to what you think you need. I think the MR-4 series it a great car, but I want a new car, even if it isn't a whole lot faster. For one, it would be nice if it were easier to work on, and having run the MR-4 for the past 2 seasons, it would be nice for a change.

This is just my opinion
Speedo
Old 04-27-2002, 02:20 AM
Tech Addict

Wink

Maybe Yokomo can give all the team drivers TC3's to run like HPI....Hahahahahahahahaha.
Oh my aching ribs..

As far as my new Avatar, I saw the site with them on, the other day.
Being one of the committee members of the New Zealand Mitsubishi motors car club, how could I resist stealing the image and using it?

www.nzmmc.co.nz
Old 05-03-2002, 07:05 AM
Tech Regular

this thread seems to be in a coma......
have all the mr4 drivers switched cars all of a sudden?
or is everyone just waiting for the world champs to happen?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.