Search
Like Tree19Likes

Losi Rock Rey Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 11:27 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kenmtb
I have seen this rig and it looks like a ton of fun to drive. Silly question, is this the truck with a built in battery connector? If so can it be changed to an XT60? The truck I saw looked like it had a blue EC3.
I'm sure it could be changed to anything you wished. Would probably have to change where it mounts. I've got the Baja Rey. Same plug in mount.
kenmtb likes this.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by kenmtb
I have seen this rig and it looks like a ton of fun to drive. Silly question, is this the truck with a built in battery connector? If so can it be changed to an XT60? The truck I saw looked like it had a blue EC3.
EC3 connector can be unscrewed from the chassis and the lead can be desoldered from the ESC. You will need to then solder your XT60 connector (or Deans or whatever floats your boat) and you may be able to hold it in place using the retaining bar used for the stock EC3 connector. I haven't changed mine and have been happy with the holding power of the EC3. Easy enough to remove if you keep the connectors clean.
kenmtb likes this.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

I removed my people insert, body and roof and could then get the servo out ok. You could possibly do it from the side by removing the front right black panel behind the wheel but I found my method workable and not too laborious.

I have left the truck this way as I like the look of it and can more easily check how hot things get.

Originally Posted by matta1408
should I remove the plastic people inserts? just cant keep the srew lined up long enough to get a driver in there to tighten it up.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi all,

Total noob here, this is my first RC car since I was a kid and I think I may have bitten off a bit more than I can chew. On the bright side, the Rock Rey will go right through an azalea bush. On the bad side, I have to explain to my wife what happened to her azalea.

Looks like I already stripped the servo horn. I've seen some folks mention the 23 tooth servo horn and others the 25. Does it matter which one I go with?

Another quick question, my Rey doesn't always want to go backwards. It gets in grooves where reverse happens easily, then other times it takes 4 or 5 tries to get the car to respond to reverse.

Is there a fix for this? Is it a matter of re-binding? Something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

If you're running the stock servo it's the TLR 23T horn. It's very tough and cheap. Not simple to get to but it's only about 30-40 minutes to install (including removing lots of body screws etc) and you can forget about it after that. I went through the roof (pull the roof panel); it worked fine with a long driver though someone else went via the side and said it worked ok.

As for the reverse...hmm...

Mine on occasion does stuff like this. Not often and it normally is in a position where it can't easily reverse as it's stuck but it's odd. I've read about it happening so when it happens I immediately go forwards and try again and it usually is fine. I can go for complete lipos without it happening.

I wondered if it was the AVC RX but I've put in a basic DSMR 3ch Spektrum and it still does it. Most likely it's the ESC though it 'could' be the TX.

I have a Yeti with the similar but slightly updated 120A HW SCT MAX10 ESC and it never does it.

You could try rebinding as it could be something to do with the TX end points but I wonder if speeding up reverse via the HW programming box (which I have) would sort it out (basically adjust the punch and up reverse which might get it working more reliably).
Old 05-05-2017, 10:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the help, Rock Runner. I ordered the 25T. Doe!

Hmm, maybe I should call Losi about reverse. It happens more often than not and I've barely run the thing (blew the horn after about 40 minutes of running)
Old 05-05-2017, 05:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just picked one up! =) Looking to get the aluminum servo horn for the stock servo. How many teeth is it? 23t? Does it need a specific brand or can any brand work?
Old 05-05-2017, 05:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

I found the TLR 23T the cheapest around here at about $14AUD though I did get a cheap cross bolted 25T alum horn for my Bomber for $6 which is holding up great (kept stripping plastic horns).

The thing to note is the Losi horn is very short else it fouls the front right plastic panel that runs from the baseplate upwards to the cage. That $6 horn I got wouldn't have worked without removing the plastic panel which stops a lot of dirt getting in the interior.

Originally Posted by vannon
Just picked one up! =) Looking to get the aluminum servo horn for the stock servo. How many teeth is it? 23t? Does it need a specific brand or can any brand work?
That's a pain! I'd contact them as my AVC RX failed and Horizon warrantied it quickly. I noticed a couple of 'delays' with the RR yesterday going forwards (like full throttle and it hesitated for say 1/4 of a second before taking off - I had a Yeti doing drag runs with it so I could easily see how much it was hesitating) and wonder if there is something amiss with my ESC also. Mine is coming up to 3 months old so I wouldn't hold my breath about a replacement at this point but I'd still give it a go if it gets worse (I'd likely get another of the new Hobbywings though as I'm in general a big fan of HW - though I'd consider the 150 even though the 120 is awesome in the Yeti).

It honestly could be the transmitter for all I know but I wouldn't really know until I replaced the ESC or bound another TX which I don't have.

My plastic horn was stripped out of the box...I didn't bother contacting anyone as I had zero interest in a replacement plastic horn.

Originally Posted by OceanLad
Thanks for the help, Rock Runner. I ordered the 25T. Doe!

Hmm, maybe I should call Losi about reverse. It happens more often than not and I've barely run the thing (blew the horn after about 40 minutes of running)
Old 05-05-2017, 05:53 PM
Tech Regular

TLR 23t - is that part # TLR1555 ?
So it's better to get the Losi compared to another brand because it fits better?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

I believe that's the part. You definitely don't need the Losi but it was affordable and has been strong (my truck has cartwheeled and crashed a lot and jumped a lot) though I'll be honest it was difficult to fit. I had to slowly screw the horn onto the servo as it basically cut the threads as I screwed it on. You'd want to make sure you centred your trim and got everything decently lined up as I wouldn't want to try to pull mine off and go again.

The $6 horn I got with the cross bolt was great and with loctite should be great. If you can find a short horn like that it would make reinstallation easy.

Originally Posted by vannon
TLR 23t - is that part # TLR1555 ?
So it's better to get the Losi compared to another brand because it fits better?
Old 05-06-2017, 06:30 PM
Tech Rookie

anyone know of a servo horn that would work? cant find a 23t anywhere for mine and have stripped two plastic ones.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:35 PM
Tech Rookie

also will most of the baja rey parts fit on the rock rey? I'm new to the RC world and I am just getting into a new hobby so sorry for the many questions.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:38 PM
Tech Regular

also will most of the baja rey parts fit on the rock rey? I'm new to the RC world and I am just getting into a new hobby so sorry for the many questions.
I think most will, but it's good to double check the part number if you are looking at a specific Baja Rey part.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

No. The front end is different (universals for a start) and the diff housing is different. Diff gears, pinion etc also different...lots of small parts also. Likely the cage too. Changing one from the other is a big job.

For example, you can't just get the BR alum third member upgrade as you need the RR version due to the strengthening gussets.

Many many parts will fit but you'd need to do your research and check the manual and part numbers. Often the hobby websites show which parts are BR and RR compatible; there will be loads.

The servo horn from Losi is TLR1555 and fits perfectly; it seems readily available. Don't waste your time on the plastic horn.

Otherwise get any short 23T alum servo horn and it should be fine.

anyone know of a servo horn that would work? cant find a 23t anywhere for mine and have stripped two plastic ones.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Rock Rey - real versatile car but comes with really poor servo

Hey Rock Rey community!

Got my Rock Rey 3 weeks ago and have done some heavy offroad bashing, mud splashing and also crawling since then.
I have to say - I am really amazed how versatile the RockRey is.
That was exactly what I was searching:
A vehicle with fast speed but also good ability in heavy terrain.

I am running the Rock Rey with 3S LiPo 11.1V and 5.000 mA
and it really has amazing power.

BUT:
I was really dissapointed by the standard servo and servo arm
it comes with when delivered out of the box.
The sevo horn is made out of pretty week plastic,
after 4 hours the first plastic servo horn was having no tight fit to the servo gear wheel any more. Plus the servo gear wheel itself has no sharp teeth but rather round teeth what even makes it worth.
Unfortunately, the metal servo horn from Losi is yet not available,
the second Losi original 23T plastic servo horn lasted only 2 hours.

So I upgraded directly to a Power HD waterprrof 4.8-6.6V Super Torque Digital Servo WP-23KG and a 25T Alu servo horn.
Now the servo has the power and reaction time that is perfect for this vehicle.
Now you also see and feel the AVC effect!

Also annyoing is, that you have to unfasten 12 screws on the body panel, 4 screws on the roof (which you than can flip backward which is really nice)
and 2 screws on the cover of the receiver to work on the inner compents...
But on the other side, I really like the design of the body and its proportions.

I can really recommend the RockRey,
but would have expected for that price a servo and servo arm with a better quality. So buy it and directly upgrade it - then you will have plenty of fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.