Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tekno RC EB48.4 Thread >

Tekno RC EB48.4 Thread

Like Tree311Likes

Tekno RC EB48.4 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-11-2018, 05:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tekno RC EB48.4 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: billdelong
Welcome to the EB4.4 Wiki page.
If you edit the page, please add your name and date prior to your addition. While an admin can view the history, this makes it easier for everyone to just check updates. We'll put the newest additions at the top.

Bob B 8/10/17 - Should I start with the kit setup?
The kit setup is a great place to start. One other option that many of us start with is Joe's rough track setup. You can find that setup here
In order to run it you need 3x2.1 pistons and 3x2.0 pistons. (They are marked on the sheet as 3.1 and 3.0).

Matt W 7/7/17 - What is overdrive and when should I use it?
The NB48.4 comes stock with a 12t pinion (TKR8152) and the 39t ring (TKR8151) in both the front and rear and the EB48.4 has a 12t pinion (TKR8152B) and the 40t ring (TKR8151B) in both the front and rear.

The two sets of gears are used to overdrive the front of the EBs or underdrive the rear of the NBs. If you have both vehicles and want to try underdrive it's as easy as swapping the front diff and pinion of the EB and the rear diff and pinion of the NB. Underdrive helps on very loose tracks, when you need more on power steering or if the rear of the car feels loose.

Tips and Tricks
Setup Sheets:
Setup sheets for all Tekno RC vehicles can be found here. Please be sure to try our recommended setup. It works very well on most tracks.

Warranty Policy:

Tekno RC is the only company in the industry that will give 50% off of parts if returned to them using the General Warranty return policy found on their website. The parts can be lightly used or completely abused, as long as the part is still being produced it's covered!

Piston Drills:

Some of our setups recommend using pistons that are enlarged. For instance 4x1.9 or 3x2.0. To drill the pistons we recommend the following:
GMK Supply Piston Drill Set
16PC Metric Bit Set Metric Sizes 2.00 to 3.00 MM.

Print Wikipost

Old 12-18-2016, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Tekno RC EB48.4 Thread

The EB48 has been carving out its place as the top 1/8th scale electric buggy for many years now. Through its history, we have continually improved on every aspect of performance and durability. The progression from the EB48 to the EB48.3 evolved through many significant changes, industry firsts, and also hundreds of fine adjustments. With the introduction of the EB48.4, we have once again raised the bar and improved on nearly every aspect of the buggy. This time it took the form of many fine adjustments, but the leap in performance is our most significant yet.

EB48.4 New Features
New CNC 7075 Chassis with Improved Wear Characteristics
Revised Steering Geometry and Ackerman Plate
Bearing Supported Spindle/Carrier Design
Revised Wide Rear Pivot Suspension Geometry
Revised Ultra Efficient Drivetrain with New Universal Driveshafts
Revised Internal Gear Ratio for Improved Efficiency
CNC 4×1.9 Flat/Flat Delrin Pistons and CNC Delrin Guides
New CNC 7075 Aluminum Bleeder Shock Caps (emulsion, vented, non-vented)
New LF (low frequency) Shock Springs
New Fighter Jet Inspired Body Design
These changes feed into one desire to manufacture the best handling, most consistent, most durable, and highest value kit on the market. We’re confident that our wonderful customers will agree that we have delivered on these goals.

Front End
We have never offered a more predictable yet aggressive steering system to the 1/8th market. Steering response and durability has been improved with new bearing supported spindles (TKR8041) and spindle carriers (TKR8194A). By reducing the wheel offset, we further improved the geometry, allowing the buggy to get in and out of corners more consistently in all conditions.

New front arms (TKR8286) now employ the same double-nutted outer hinge pin (TKR8034) design as the rear arms, ensuring nothing comes loose during a race, as well as fewer parts in the toolbox. In the front, shock absorber placement remains the same as the EB48.3. So expect the same great jump landing and bump handling characteristics.

The new Ackermann plate (TKR8100) and steering bell cranks (TKR8104) smooth steering response, providing better stability out of corners without sacrificing on-power steering.

Finishing off the front end are new A and B blocks (TKR8161, TKR8162) that have a more user-friendly 2.5mm hex cap head screw (TKR1533) to access the diffs.

Rear End
New rear arms (TKR8184) and hubs (TKR8040A) have been designed to accommodate wide rear pivot (TKR8163, TKR8164) hinge pin blocks, producing increased corner speed and improved forward drive out of corners while reducing weight transfer. As we did with the front end, more user-friendly 2.5mm hex cap head screws have been included for easy diff access. By utilizing a new hub design, the arm length remains the same, keeping the same great jump landing and bump handling.

Driveline
The EB48.4 now utilizes front and rear universal driveshafts (TKR8087). Through rigorous testing, we have found universals provide the most consistent performance due to their improved bump handling which allows the suspension components to move more freely and efficiently.

Internal gear ratio (ring and pinion) has been modified to 3.33:1 (TKR8151, TKR8152), extending battery life while providing improved power transmission from the center diff to the front and rear diffs. The new gears are also quieter and more efficient than ever before.

Shocks
The EB48.4 features an all CNC shock package, from the shock bodies to the internal guides (TKR6146B). 4×1.9 flat/flat pistons (TKR6165) further refine the damping package and are suited for just about any track condition. The highly regarded LF (low frequency) springs (TKR8763, TKR8773) are now included as stock equipment as well.
Topping off the updated shock system are new CNC 7075 aluminum bleeder caps (TKR8702) that allow you to build your shocks any way you prefer. The standard shock build is now an emulsion setup, but the new caps can be used to build vented and traditional non-vented shocks just as well (optional bladders required). The new caps mount to revised shock standoffs (TKR8027) that provide better clearance between the cap and shock tower.

Body
The original EB48 body was a departure from the wide nitro hand-me-down bodies. With this release, we have further improved on our design to offer a body providing more internal clearance, higher durability, and improved aesthetics.
Aggressive fighter jet inspired styling produces ample steering with sleek lines followed by three fins to help with high-speed stability and small spoilers on the rear to increase downforce. Also featured are several indicated ‘cut’ areas to improve airflow to the chassis and lower the temperature of your electronics.

Chassis
Proven design
Designed to be electric from the ground up – no nitro conversions here!
New 4mm CNC 7075 aluminum hard anodized lightened chassis with improved wear characteristics.
Super narrow chassis layout – widest point is only 125mm (less than 5”) mudguard-to-mudguard.
Class leading front and rear clearance (short chassis overhang) provides better bump handling and jump landing.
Integrated battery tray/mud guard, the battery is sunken into chassis for a super low COG.
Adjustable, LCG lightweight wing mount.
Integrated electronics tray/mud guard for easy removal of electronics.
Spacious, enclosed, easy access radio box with integrated transponder mount.
Single pack configuration is better balanced, lighter weight, and makes battery changes easier.
Battery tray accommodates 2x2s packs.
Adjustable chassis brace system for fine tuning flex with front, center, and rear braces.
Motor Mount
2-piece CNC aluminum motor mount with precision dual clamping gear mesh adjustment.
Split center diff mount for easy maintenance.
Lightweight direct-to-diff mount design.
Uses standard MOD 1 pinion gears (TKR4171-TKR4190).
Differentials and Drivetrain
Three fluid-filled adjustable super lightweight diffs.
Less rotating mass = better acceleration.
Lightened outdrives, and diff couplers used throughout.
Aluminum tapered aluminum center driveshaft.
New 12/40 ring and pinion gears for improved efficiency.
Angled rear gearbox with large bearings.
Straight center driveline for maximum efficiency and minimal wear.
New universal driveshafts with narrow stub axle and revised bearing placement.
Optional under/overdrive available.
Shocks
Super smooth 16mm big bore shocks.
6mm front, 5mm rear CNC 7075 aluminum gun metal anodized shock towers are standard.
New flat/flat piston design and configuration (4 x 1.9mm).
Fully adjustable long travel suspension geometry maximizes stability and traction while providing superior cornering and on-power steering.
CNC threaded shock bodies, caps, cartridge caps, and adjustment nuts.
New CNC 7075 emulsion/vented/standard shock caps.
4mm hardened and polished steel shafts.
New tall clamping spring perches with captured shock boots.
New CNC delrin internal triple guide design for true and consistent shaft action.
Optional springs and sway bars are available.
Suspension and Steering
Adjustable front arm sweep and angle to make the car more aggressive (swept forward), or easier to drive (swept back).
New captured outer front and rear hinge pins.
‘Narrow pivot’ steering posts provide ‘0 bump’ geometry with almost ‘0 steering slop’.
Adjustable CNC 7075 hinge pin braces.
New bearing supported spindle/carrier with updated geometry and enhanced durability.
Long rear sway bar for improved consistency.
New ‘Wide Pivot’ C and D hinge pin braces.
4mm inner, 3.5mm outer hinge pins, polished for smooth action.
New narrow high roll center rear hubs.
Adjustable Ackermann and bump-steer (bump in, zero bump, bump out).
New aluminum Ackermann plate rides on four precision bearings.
New steering bell cranks with optional solid right bell crank (no servo saver) for increased steering response.
Adjustable steering stops for precise steering travel settings.
Other Features
New high downforce wing with hole guides included.
Easily adjust anti-squat, rear toe, front arm angle, front arm sweep, roll center, toe, camber, wheelbase, Ackerman, bump steer, suspension geometry out of the box.
Full set of option parts available.
Extremely easy to work on with minimal screw count.
All metric hex hardware.
Specifications
Length: 435mm (without wing)
Wheelbase: 323-335mm
Width: 306-310*mm (*optional hubs required)
Weight: 3200g (7.0lb) (RTR weight equipped w/ Tekin RX8, 500g battery, rx, etc)
Diff Ratio: F/R – 12/40t, Center – 44t
Battery tray dimensions: 50x148mm (2x2s or 1x4s config)
Kit/RTR: Kit

ADDITIONAL INFO

Last edited by Matthew_Armeni; 12-27-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ears wide opened !
Old 12-19-2016, 03:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Alright, this is killing me! Not to mention, Im like 2 versions behind NOW!!
Old 12-19-2016, 04:07 AM
Tech Adept

Hope we hope we don't have to wait too long. I wonder if it will be cost effective to convert vs buying a new kit.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:13 AM
mkl
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Info just dropped-
http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr8000-...ed-description

not sure when it will be released though.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:32 AM
Tech Adept

Just got an email and I think it said this Friday.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Interesting. Got a chance to see a bunch of the older Teknos run this weekend, looked good.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Looks awesome.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Yessah.....I'll have one. Lot's of improvements. Only one area of concern, and it may be unfounded. The blocks. Hopefully when I have it in hand I won't be as concerned.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ezlight
Yessah.....I'll have one. Lot's of improvements. Only one area of concern, and it may be unfounded. The blocks. Hopefully when I have it in hand I won't be as concerned.
What concerns you about the blocks? The wide rear hinge pin width?
Old 12-19-2016, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MX304
What concerns you about the blocks? The wide rear hinge pin width?
In the rear how much wider the blocks are from the mounting point. And switching to cap heads I really like, but I question how much material had to be removed to make that happen. Like I said, once in hand the concerns may be unfounded. Hard to criticize tekno for anything they do, as it's always great. I'm sure they've put them through their paces already.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ezlight
In the rear how much wider the blocks are from the mounting point. And switching to cap heads I really like, but I question how much material had to be removed to make that happen. Like I said, once in hand the concerns may be unfounded. Hard to criticize tekno for anything they do, as it's always great. I'm sure they've put them through their paces already.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about durability. They don't call it Tankno for no reason. I find the use of bearing in the front uprights a bit odd. Seems like one more point of failure with no real benefit. Although I guess they do find some benefit to it, or they wouldn't have done it.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:56 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

very purdy

as for cap heads I know guys here who after stripping several of the flat head screws just added caps instead, myself included at one point. Didn't look as trick but was much easier to work with.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Now to see how big of an improvement all the .4 stuff added to this from the .3 in a real world test.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MX304
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about durability. They don't call it Tankno for no reason. I find the use of bearing in the front uprights a bit odd. Seems like one more point of failure with no real benefit. Although I guess they do find some benefit to it, or they wouldn't have done it.
Originally Posted by Cain
very purdy

as for cap heads I know guys here who after stripping several of the flat head screws just added caps instead, myself included at one point. Didn't look as trick but was much easier to work with.
Very Purdy. And It's just a concern...I'll still have one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.