Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree59Likes

Your favorite Tire Sauce recipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 04:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I honestly think close to everything has been tried!!??? How many tire conditioning combinations can there be? At least before it gives you cancer?? Lol. Jk. Who knows what sticky kicks is made of or whatever brand tire sauce. A local guy gave me a bottle of his homemade concoction and it was the best ive ever had. It ate up my tires but I expected that. I think people get mixed up and confused about saucing. Way too much on the tires and they get so soft they fold over in the corners. I need my vehicle to rotate when I want to, not keep biting into the surface until the tire falls in on itself. Obviously different strokes for different folks. Whatever that guy mixed up worked awesome and I need to bug him for some more. Definitely had a lot of wintergreen oil and a hint of a petroleum product.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I asked TDK repair about suggestions with regards to the tire stretching, here was their response:

”We have also experienced this with our tires and our drivers tires, especially the fronts. It is not that the sauce is breaking down only the foam but like you said it is “stretching” the rubber by softening it significantly.

We have found a few ways to help slow down this process.

The preferred saucing method currently is to apply to the full tire on the rear with the dauber cap. For the front apply only a thin stripe in the center with the dauber cap and then spread evenly with a brush. This will apply a thinner layer to the tire so it won’t attack it as aggressively and make them last longer.

Also our drivers and myself are having good success mixing about 50/50 of our Odorless and High Grip Sauces and then applying as I described above.

Finally the other option is to break in the tire with High Grip and put a couple heat cycles in it and then sauce with only odorless. This will net the softest tire possible without stretching the tire prematurely.

Hopefully this helps you and the community out!”
Old 09-11-2019, 11:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zipperfoot

I was going to try TDK until I found shipping was $6.95. Half the price of the sauce. Canceled my order.
i just got a few bottles in the mail today to try out, i like the idea of non toxic.
it doesn't smell bad at all.
i get to test it saturday.
i split an order with a couple other dudes so shipping was nominal
zipperfoot, mushroomed and RazorRC like this.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lowspark
Tabasco.....

Oh wait.... you were discussing tire sauce... my bad
I prefer Casey's taco sauce personally!
Old 09-22-2019, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

Been using the TDK for two weeks now.
while i dont have anything to compare it with, this stuff has been great
if you like the non toxic claims, you should try it out
Old 09-29-2019, 02:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Racing aside, since the TDK stuff soaks into the rubber and permanently softens it, I wonder if it would be good for rehabilitating old monster truck tires that have started to harden?
Old 09-29-2019, 09:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Probably would work fine for that. I used it steadily for weeks and tires swelled 1/2 inch in circumference from new. Not made to be used all the time I'm told. Tires are pretty much junk now. Big air gap between tire/foam.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

And that tells me this TDK tire sauce is perhaps the only tire sauce on the market that actually does what people expect -- soak into the rubber and make it softer. Anything that can actually soften rubber (as opposed to merely removing the surface coating of dust and dead rubber) will stay in the rubber for a long time.

Added to my shopping list for October.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:19 PM
Tech Regular

i can attest that my tires that i have used TDK on are noticeably softer than other tires that I used to us SXT on.
sometimes my tires do look different sizes, ones that have taken more sauce, but sometimes they dont. its odd. or my eyes are just playing tricks on me.
I do like this sauce though, it seems to do what sauce needs to do. But I only have SXT to compare it to.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
And that tells me this TDK tire sauce is perhaps the only tire sauce on the market that actually does what people expect -- soak into the rubber and make it softer. Anything that can actually soften rubber (as opposed to merely removing the surface coating of dust and dead rubber) will stay in the rubber for a long time.

Added to my shopping list for October.
There are multiple sauces which will soften the rubber enough to bag the tires out. They are stretching because so much force is going through the tires.

As for your dried out monster truck tires, just spray them with regular WD40 and throw them in a Ziploc freezer bag for 12 hrs. The WD40 will make them soft again.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Don’t use Simple Green- Some people use Simple Green, but what they don’t know is that Simple Green actually dries out your tires. It’s like leaving a set of real car tires out in the sun in California for a year and then expecting good traction, even wear, and life out of them when you mount them on your car and go 80mph on a highway. It draws out the chemical compounds in the rubber and makes the tires very inconsistent, on top of drying them out. They may seem sticky after you apply it, and they may feel grippier in the first 30 secs to a minute on the track, but then it’s all gone. (Not the tire tread- the grip.) It can be helpful when cleaning dirty tires/wheels after an outdoor race on clay, but only when diluted in water and rinsed off asap. There are special rc tire cleaners made for this. WD-40 works well if you apply it a few times on your tires days before the race. (Not for outdoor. Everything will stick to the tires if you do this for outdoor off-road clay.) I personally don’t like to use tire sauce. I’ve experimented with all kinds and I don’t really need it on carpet. Indoor blue groove clay? Sure. Carpet is the most high-traction surface you can race on. Being that I primarily race outdoor, I like to set up my car to be able to rotate around corners easier on carpet. Tire sauce fights against rotation around corners. If you’re a budget racer, especially, don’t bother with tire sauce. Try some different ones at some point on practice days to see how you like it and see how your car handles. It’ll help you dial in cars and make better setup changes when you understand how it feels to have more bite. Try applying it on the inside half of your tires, the outside halves, front, rear, and gain knowledge of how it affects your car. Try it on bald tires and try it on new ones. Just know that: Tire sauce + application weight x times applied = tire wear^3. The softer the tire compound, the softer the inserts, the hotter the climate, the more aggressive the sauce, the heavier you apply it, the more times you apply it, the harder the brush is you apply it with, the longer time you let it soak in between applications, the harder you drive... the faster your tires will go, go, go, and then be gone. The more you do this, the more your wallet hates you lol. Hope this helps!

-E
RazorRC likes this.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
Sticky Kicks and FDJ are my go to traction compounds.

Have you used these on regular SS and SSLW compounds or only Clay?

It's too late for me to get my hands on FDJ for a big race this weekend but some of the locals are swearing by FDJ Green being great for SSLW to SLW tires and I was curious if anyone has tried Sticky Kicks (which I do have) with any success?

I plan to order some FDJ to experiment with in the future but don't want to waste my time with Sticky Kicks on SSLW if folks have already tried it and it may have failed.

Normally the track is ran wet, hard pack... and this is my first big 1/8 race in years where I never ran sauce on 1/8 dirt before, so running blue groove conditions is kinda new for me, at least with finding the right sauce for SSLW compounds.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:34 AM
Tech Addict

NAPA auto parts Mac spray, on the same shelf the PB and LW are on. Very low odor for an aerosol, not the quickest softening sauce in the group however it keeps the dirt off the tire longer into the run so for me it is most consistent start to finish. Less tire swelling than TDK so tires can last a few more runs. This is the only sauce I really recommend outside of TDK or LW anymore.

Last edited by trf211; 03-05-2021 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
Have you used these on regular SS and SSLW compounds or only Clay?

It's too late for me to get my hands on FDJ for a big race this weekend but some of the locals are swearing by FDJ Green being great for SSLW to SLW tires and I was curious if anyone has tried Sticky Kicks (which I do have) with any success?

I plan to order some FDJ to experiment with in the future but don't want to waste my time with Sticky Kicks on SSLW if folks have already tried it and it may have failed.

Normally the track is ran wet, hard pack... and this is my first big 1/8 race in years where I never ran sauce on 1/8 dirt before, so running blue groove conditions is kinda new for me, at least with finding the right sauce for SSLW compounds.
We've been using the Green dot (tire prep) on the CRC rubber tires for pan cars. Works great. Use for practice and maybe 1st round of qual. then switch to SXT/etc.