Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTR Truggy for bashing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 02:11 PM
Tech Rookie

if I could swing one right now I'd get one or a Kraton

just as an aside Armma is under-going a change over on their 1/8 models they had quite a few issues with the ESC on their cars. they would fail if not turned off when the batteries were plugged in. Arrma was great about sending out replacements, under warranty. I think late 2015 they updated the esc, 'cause we stopped getting customers in with complaints...

just recently there has been no inventory available, as they are changing to new body colors and changing over to XT-90 plugs. something I hope other manufacturers of RTR's follow along with.

check out AussieRCPlayground on youtube. he likes Arrma cars and has good info about them.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:26 PM
Tech Adept

The savage doesn't compare to the Arrma offering or any truggy in any way that I can see.

The Arrma stuff is legit, the Talion will hold up at the track if you ever go, or in any back yard.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I never said it did. That Arrma is a monster truck in truggy form, the over sized tires on that scream snapped front arms all day long, I'll pass. I'd put a Savage up against that in a bash war any day. Just looks cheap to me. JMO.

Originally Posted by lolagt
The savage doesn't compare to the Arrma offering or any truggy in any way that I can see.

The Arrma stuff is legit, the Talion will hold up at the track if you ever go, or in any back yard.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:56 PM
Tech Adept

Naa, same arms hubs etc as the Team Durango race truggy. (Arrma Durango LTD, is the company.)

It would not even be close in any measure of performance in any match up. That's about as nice of a thing as I can say about HPI, so I'll drop that.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Now see there you go again putting words in my mouth for me, never mentioned performance, we're talking about bashing. This guys looking for something to go out and beat the shit out of. Only thing I can remember being as tough in truggy form was the Jammin X2 Truggy that came out in 07. But he should buy what he wants and likes, not what we tell him to buy. Its obvious you have all the answers for him.

Originally Posted by lolagt
Naa, same arms hubs etc as the Team Durango race truggy. (Arrma Durango LTD, is the company.)

It would not even be close in any measure of performance in any match up. That's about as nice of a thing as I can say about HPI, so I'll drop that.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

What about the *Basher* (get it?) Sabertooth - - Just add a radio and rock.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2stroketim
What about the *Basher* (get it?) Sabertooth - - Just add a radio and rock.
This question was asked to the Aussie RC playground guy (Vas) over on the Arrma FB page today - was that you?

His answer - Arrma by a mile. Sabertooth is good 'for the money', but the Talion is better all around.

I have the Talion and the Kraton. The Kraton is my son's, and he is a bit more careful than I am (most of the time). Both of our trucks are holding up great. I am setting my Talion up for more of a track setup, his Kraton is a park basher. Other than the tires (Truggy on the Talion, MT on the Kraton) and wider axle stubs, they are identical.

As others have said, the Talion is on clearance at Tower right now. The 2016 model should be along soon, with better ESC, Motor, and some improved plastic bits.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Have to chime in here
I have had the Talion for 2 years now and its been a beast.
There is nothing about the truggy that is bad.
Just watch the screws and the original motor does not last long if you get it HOT over and over again.
I ran the stock ESC and motor all last summer and it took it till the late fall and the motor seized up.
the speedo never gave me any trouble.
the stock servo is weak and works for a while but can't take too much abuse.
Savox 1256 is a good all around truggy servo.
Keep the diffs serviced and fresh oil.
Watch the stock bearings they get a but sloppy.
And after the entire summer and part of winter the center diff wore out.
Shim that and keep fresh oil in it.
This truggy has over all been a beast.
I have the MM2 and 2200 in mine with 6s power and it easily does 55 with a 13 tooth pinion.
Buy it if you are considering it
Old 06-01-2016, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

What about the new Arrma Nero?! It's their new flagship 1/8 scale RTR that's classified as a MT but like the Kraton it is pretty much a truggy and has a new motor/esc and has some pretty cool features you should check it out online or youtube
Old 06-06-2016, 08:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The NERO looks good but a truggy is a truggy
Always look at ebay for a deal on the truggy I have 1 from there and for 500 its ready for the bash scene.
Just have to watch what you buy and be ready for little problems till you get it all sorted.
Thats alot of money but buy all new and see how much you spend on a truggy.
The talion is the best I have seen right outa the box RTR
Old 08-09-2016, 08:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Same boat... Want RTR (I would do a kit but no idea on which motor/esc radio/receiver would be good for 6s and no overheat so I stick to a kit, otherwise RC8T3e or XB8E)...

Not much choices... I know they are different but narrowed now to Talion, XXL2e, Kraton, Nero
Old 08-09-2016, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For 100% bashing, I would get the 2016 Kraton.

New Motor is a beast, and the hobbywing ESC is solid. 6S ready out of the box, with an extra pinion in the box if you feel the need for 60mph speeds.

If you want to bash some, but race some, get the Talion, and an extra set of Badlands tires for bashing. Talion is a bit more nimble vs the Kraton. Both are tanks.

Nero - A beast, but early reports are showing breakages. If you can work thru them, and don't ever plan on track running, it would be the ultimate Monster Truggy.

If you just want to bash, though, and not stress, get the Kraton.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

100% vote to the ARRMA Kraton V2.... I have one and so does a few of my buddies..There is nothing on the market at anywhere near that price that can compete with it...Its also selling like hot cakes !! it is based off the Durango Race truggy and many of the Durango parts will fit on it... I have mine upgraded with a better servo and my own radio and Tekno shock springs, the rest is all stock... I run mine on 6S and its fantastic....it doesn't handle quite like a race truggy, but it handles a whole bunch better then any of the MT's do..its quite durable and super easy to work on, even has quick change differentials and takes me about 1 minute to get either the front or rear diff out..
Old 08-10-2016, 06:18 PM
Tech Initiate

So, I am leaning for the Talion and buy a set of Big Joe 2.0 3.8'' tires. Anybody know if they will fit the Talion? That would raise the height a bit and better traction in the sand

Still unsure about the Katron vs Talion for my use, may end up with both
Old 08-10-2016, 07:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My talion is so much fun. I've been beating on it for 8 months straight and the only thing i've had fail is a shock piston crack. $0.43 later it was fixed and the v2's have a freaking amazing esc/motor out of the box. Bash 40 minutes on 4S in grass and the motor will be skin temp. 6S is crazy fast/powerful and still keeps temps under control.

For the money honestly there isn't anything even remotely close.

Just chuck some 3.8" badlands on it and call it a day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.