Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree100Likes

Serpent SRX8-E

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For those who have experience with the RTR version of the SRX8E, do you think it's just the electronics that hold back it's performance?

I picked up the RTR last Fall to casually race in my local club races. The buggy has done fine so far, nothing has broken and I've finished middle of the pack. I would say the RTR electronics are certainly lacking but overall I feel the car itself is not really holding it back. I feel that it mostly comes down to tire choice, chassis setup, and driver skill.

While I'd love to step up to a race kit sometime, I'm finding it hard to justify when the RTR car seems like it would continue to do just fine with some better electronics installed.
Old 05-11-2023, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have experience with older 811 be, which is very similar to the srx8 rtr. It's not only the electronics really, but with some setup tweaks, like shock pistons and oil, tires, diff fluids I'm sure it can be solid car until you decide to step up your game. That being said, as of recently I see incease of srx8e rtrs on my local track, and Serpent America has them sold out!

Edit: first thing I upgraded was servo, as it should be with any rtr, it was a much nicer car to drive.
I see rear still hops over bumps, just like 811 cause they use same shocks.
Old 05-12-2023, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have replaced the servo, not because it broke, but because I felt it was the weakest part of the electronics package and was likely the first thing that would fail. I threw in my own receiver too so I can use the same transmitter as my other vehicles. I use race rubber, replaced diff oils with default 7-7-3 setup, changed pistons to the ones with the largest holes that came with the car as spares, updated shock oil, and threw on some blue springs. With those simple and relatively cheap changes the RTR does drive a good bit better. The stock suspension setup was way too stiff out of the box.
bratan likes this.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Anyone driven a SRX8e pro anda recent XB8e? Or even 819, mbx8re Looking for comparisons
Old 11-08-2023, 09:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RockinTheCasbah
Anyone driven a SRX8e pro anda recent XB8e? Or even 819, mbx8re Looking for comparisons
Tried xb8e 22 and it felt more nimble, quite lighter than srx8e pro. Had an 819rs for a short period of time, car is ok, drives really nice, squares up on gas better, but it wears out fast, a lot of slop and is pain to work on. Both xray and hb require d block removal to access rear diff.
I think they changed that on 24 version of xb8.

Old 11-08-2023, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks that was pretty much what I was looking for. From that it sounds like the serpent had more rotation then the hb, but a little less edgy then the x-ray ?

​​​​

Originally Posted by bratan
Tried xb8e 22 and it felt more nimble, quite lighter than srx8e pro. Had an 819rs for a short period of time, car is ok, drives really nice, squares up on gas better, but it wears out fast, a lot of slop and is pain to work on. Both xray and hb require d block removal to access rear diff.
I think they changed that on 24 version of xb8.
Old 11-08-2023, 10:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RockinTheCasbah
Thanks that was pretty much what I was looking for. From that it sounds like the serpent had more rotation then the hb, but a little less edgy then the x-ray ?

​​​​
our track gets pretty blown, xray being pilow ball car floats better over bumps. But when track gets griped up and with right tires my car is on rails. Parts support is awesome in FL, one of the reasons I never moved to another brand.
Maybe someone gives you some more info on mugen, or even tekno, seems to be very popular brand lately.
Old 11-08-2023, 10:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bratan
our track gets pretty blown, xray being pilow ball car floats better over bumps. But when track gets griped up and with right tires my car is on rails. Parts support is awesome in FL, one of the reasons I never moved to another brand.
Maybe someone gives you some more info on mugen, or even tekno, seems to be very popular brand lately.
I've driven them all , we have no one local with serpent so it's pretty much they only thing I haven't actually driven .

mugen rotates and carries a ton of corner speed
tekno pushes and you have to push it through corners
X-ray is feels like a more planted mugen , while still nimble
Old 11-20-2023, 04:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My local club only races electric. I’m hoping to pick up a kit to make a few races next season. I already have a few SRX8 nitro buggies that I run for fun at the track, so I’m leaning towards the serpent e buggy, is it still competitive in the club scene??? It seems like at the pro level the other buggies keep updating and getting better?

Last edited by wely324; 11-20-2023 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm building a new srx8e, currently at bag 10, which is the servo saver section. The manual says build the servo saver with 4.5mm preload, but then the picture showing how to measure the preload it shows 3.5 as the measurement. Any help on which value is correct???