TLR 8IGHT-E 4.0 Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree36Likes

TLR 8IGHT-E 4.0 Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 06-17-2016, 07:39 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 8IGHT-E 4.0 Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kraig
Welcome to the 8IGHT-E 4.0 Wiki

USEFUL LINKS

Overview
Manual
Pictures
Parts

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 11:37 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rhodesengr
Take a look at the attached photo. The aft side (left in the photo) of every tooth on the spur gear is "machined" off. This happened on just my second time out on our clubs informal outdoor dirt track.
I was driving around and started to hear a different, buzzing sort of noise. I stopped to take a look and noticed some damage to the spur gear. I kept running for a while and this is what it looked like at the end of the battery.
I am hoping this was just caused by a small rock getting into the gears which is entirely possible. I am posting about it to see if thee is some other reason for this due to the design. Are others seeing this? I noticed that there is a small pocket under the gear where the motor angle plate goes. Something could easily get stuck and there is not much clearance in general around the gear.

How do you guys set the spur to pinion clearance? I did what I have done on some helicopters; used a sheet of 20 pound paper as a clearance gauge?

From this angle i tlooks like the spur is not daamged all along the pinion. Can the pinion or the rotor itself move along the motor axis? Are the pinion and spur width fully aligned?
Old 10-28-2018, 09:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dtr
From this angle i tlooks like the spur is not daamged all along the pinion. Can the pinion or the rotor itself move along the motor axis? Are the pinion and spur width fully aligned?
right. About 2/3 of each tooth is gone. There is no play along the motor shaft axis and the two gears are as close to fully aligned as I can tell by eye.

I still think it was due to a rock getting caught. When i first heard the off-normal noise, the damage didn't look that uniform. I kept running it till the end of that battery and then it looked like the photo. I ran it like that again yesterday and you really can't tell. Worked fine with the dorked-up gear.

I have new gears on order. I will replace the spur and keep an eye on things and see if the same thing happens again.

I take it from reading through the thread that damaged spur gears is a pretty common thing. Something similar happened on my Losi SCBE but the damage doesn't look so uniform.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 241 (100%+)

If you find yourself replacing plastic spur gears often just switch to steel. Yes they're noisy but it's a once and done replacement.
dtr likes this.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nitro_mt_racer
If you find yourself replacing plastic spur gears often just switch to steel. Yes they're noisy but it's a once and done replacement.
I actually ordered both types. I found some threads where most guys liked the plastic gears better as a "mechanical fuse". My plan is to try the plastic gear again but if it doesn't last long, then i will try the metal one.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:15 PM
Tech Initiate

I recently switched to the new Losi 16mm EVO springs and I noticed that the rear spring ever so slightly rubs up against the shock body threads when being compressed. The front springs do not do this. Anyone else that has switched notice this? I purchased the different spring cups and flipped the spring collar around per Losi's recommendation.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 241 (100%+)

Without a way to center the spring on the shock body this will happen
Old 10-30-2018, 07:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ouhockeyplayer
I recently switched to the new Losi 16mm EVO springs and I noticed that the rear spring ever so slightly rubs up against the shock body threads when being compressed. The front springs do not do this. Anyone else that has switched notice this? I purchased the different spring cups and flipped the spring collar around per Losi's recommendation.
take a Dremel with a grinding stone and grind down the threads on the rear shock bodies.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I actually ordered both types. I found some threads where most guys liked the plastic gears better as a "mechanical fuse". My plan is to try the plastic gear again but if it doesn't last long, then i will try the metal one.
You will want to switch to steel. The plastic center gears get hot, warp and then strip. The extra weight of the steel spur gear made the car more controllable too.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by maddog9
You will want to switch to steel. The plastic center gears get hot, warp and then strip. The extra weight of the steel spur gear made the car more controllable too.
Good input. Thanks. I received both types yesterday. I do think I will try a plastic one at least one more time. I want to see if it was a chance event or something more systematic.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ditto on what maddog said steel is the way to go even if is noisy
Old 11-29-2018, 04:03 PM
Tech Adept

Default Final drive ratio

How do i work out the FDR? Is there a table somewhere or are the differential ratios posted somewhere. I searched online and in the manual. I happen to have 14T pinion and everything else is stock.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

How do i work out the FDR? Is there a table somewhere or are the differential ratios posted somewhere. I searched online and in the manual. I happen to have 14T pinion and everything else is stock.
Not sure what ratio is but on an indoor track I would run 15t with 45(stock center) normal outdoors 16t, track like a PNB with giant straight we ran a 17t.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:05 PM
Tech Adept

The reason I am asking about FDR is that my ESC mentions FDR range and you kind of need to know it if you want to play around with different KV motors and gearing. In any event, it should be in the spec. It was asked in some other threads and there is a Table floating around for the 8ight 2.0 so its hard to know if the 4.0 is the same.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What motor are you running 19 turn ?
Old 12-01-2018, 09:40 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mavdriver
What motor are you running 19 turn ?

I have an Xerun 4268 SD G2 1900kV. IDK how many turns it is as they don't rate the 4268's that way. I am running the 14T pinion which is the suggested pinion for Outdoor on the setup sheets for the 4.0.

But what does the motor have to do with the FDR?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.