TLR 8IGHT-E 4.0 Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree36Likes

TLR 8IGHT-E 4.0 Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 06-17-2016, 07:39 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 8IGHT-E 4.0 Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kraig
Welcome to the 8IGHT-E 4.0 Wiki

USEFUL LINKS

Overview
Manual
Pictures
Parts

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DrVest
Hello,

1st post and I'm in need of help. Building my 4.0 and yesterday I completed the plastic servo saver that comes in the kit. Today I picked up the aluminum servo saver upper. Obviously I have to disassemble what I already completed to install the aluminum upper. This is the tricky part due to the blue anodized "thumb nut", nut that compresses spring on saver tube, is thread locked.

No way I could remove by hand so I used pliers and ended up destroying the thumb nut. Spent an hour running to my LHS and bought LOSA4406 only to find out that it's pre-assembled with red thread lock.

How are you supposed to adjust this nut without destroying it? Is there a special tool? Or once installed is it never to be adjusted?

If no tool / method, does anyone know if LOSA4407 will fit? According to Horizon's site it's for 8ight-T's but looks similar.

I tried hyperlinking the part numbers but being that it's my first post, I'm not allowed.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
My anodized blue nut came really loose on my servo saver giving me almost no steering.
Should I keep turning it and compress the spring completely up this time and maybe just back it off a turn.
Any advice or tips?
Old 05-21-2016, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slashn77
I would just regear because not only is it cheaper a 1900kv is much better for 99% of tracks than a 2250kv but obviously if you just want top speed bragging rights for some reason I never understood get the higher kv motor and regear
Hmm, I would disagree with the 1900kv motor on 99% tracks statement. We are having a lot of success with 14/45 with a 2200kv on medium sized tracks outdoors. Controllable, but awesome top end. I could see going 15/45 on bigger tracks we'll run on this summer with same motor.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

SO, missing parts, am I alone? Started my build this AM for the big debut Sunday afternoon, looks like I won't be in attendance. Disappointed to say the least. Oh well. I can't bash the buggy or Losi without getting it on the track first, but the thought of a few parts missing on a $600 kit? So far a little disappointed.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MeasuresMicrons
SO, missing parts, am I alone? Started my build this AM for the big debut Sunday afternoon, looks like I won't be in attendance. Disappointed to say the least. Oh well. I can't bash the buggy or Losi without getting it on the track first, but the thought of a few parts missing on a $600 kit? So far a little disappointed.
Which parts are you missing? I wasn't missing any parts, but some parts were not in the bag the manual said they were.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

Spindle carrier spacer, one. I opened the bag and thought it was odd, so I went through the others, nothing. Not that I'd use it but didn't see the short Ackerman bar either in any of the bags. I like the way it's going together for the most part, but I found the way they labeled the bags and the manual to be sketchy at best. This isn't my first build, I've built OFNA's, both Jammin X1 & X2 buggies, along with their truggys, TA's, Mugens, Kyo. This has to be the worst one yet, maybe I'm just out of practice, been a couple years. Oh well, I hope the track results outweigh the build experience.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:26 PM
Tech Regular

Had some missing hardware today trying to finish up the kit but not happening. Anybody know if I just call Horizon will they ship me missing parts or will I have to pay? I hope this gets better soon.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Tech Initiate

I had parts in mismatched bags as well. It's been a terrible build experience. I called Horizon when I first noticed it and they did confirm that some kits went out with mislabeled bags / wrong parts in bags.

I would triple check all of the bags for the hardware. I thought I was missing stuff throughout the entire build. Luckily though I did find everything.

I'm pretty certain that they'll send you anything you need.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LAGuy
Hmm, I would disagree with the 1900kv motor on 99% tracks statement. We are having a lot of success with 14/45 with a 2200kv on medium sized tracks outdoors. Controllable, but awesome top end. I could see going 15/45 on bigger tracks we'll run on this summer with same motor.
Ive ran the 1900, 2050, 2150, 2200. I must say i do like the tekin 1900 the best. Might just be because its a delta but its smooth. I run stock super with a 16 pinion with all the speed i need. Was 2200 are you running?
Tho if i could run any motor, hands down a tenshock 1900. That thing is a grunt rocket ship. Most BA motor I've ever had.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

I went through everything, noticed I don't even have hardware to mount the servo & receiver box. I'll give them a call and see what they say. Did you get the short ackermen? I didnt get that either. Can't get over a $600 kit with this many issues. I hope this thing is on rails when I'm done lol

I had parts in mismatched bags as well. It's been a terrible build experience. I called Horizon when I first noticed it and they did confirm that some kits went out with mislabeled bags / wrong parts in bags.

I would triple check all of the bags for the hardware. I thought I was missing stuff throughout the entire build. Luckily though I did find everything.

I'm pretty certain that they'll send you anything you need.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MeasuresMicrons
I went through everything, noticed I don't even have hardware to mount the servo & receiver box. I'll give them a call and see what they say. Did you get the short ackermen? I didnt get that either. Can't get over a $600 kit with this many issues. I hope this thing is on rails when I'm done lol
Dude, you don't get a short ackermen. Once you break it in, it is pretty awesome kit
Old 05-23-2016, 05:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

mine can with the short ackermen
Old 05-23-2016, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hope this part missing in bag issue is limited in numbers. I've been looking into getting back into racing after a 10 year hiatus and have my sights on this car.......
Old 05-23-2016, 05:17 AM
Tech Initiate

My kit came with only one akerman. I actually called on this too and was told that the ackerman in the kit is "universal". If you mount it to the outter hole positions on the bellcrank, it's long. Mount it to the inner holes and it's short. Been out of the hobby for a while so I don't know if this is true or not.

Last edited by DrVest; 05-23-2016 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

My kit came with only one akerman. I actually called on this too and was told that the ackerman in the kit is "universal". If you mount it to the outter hole positions on the bellcrank, it's long. Mount it to the inner holes and it's short. Been out of the hobby for a while so I don't know if this is true or not.
No this is not the case. There are two ackerman. A long ackerman which is standard/stock with the kit that mounts in the outer "long" position holes. Then there is a separate short ackerman which mounts in the inner holes.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

does any one make an after market body that fit the new chassis yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.