Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any word on the new 4wd 1/10 buggy platform? Associated

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I find it ironic how people swear by Tamiya when their main focus is the toy RC market and their "Race Quality" kits have historically been of similar quality to that of their toy kits. They promise all this and that and they produce radically designed models, but they never live up to the hype. And they cost, well… An arm… And a Leg, and you can't even find arms. LOL

I too prefer to run less popular brands but I would never touch a tame kit for competitive off-road racing.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the incubus
I find it ironic how people swear by Tamiya when their main focus is the toy RC market and their "Race Quality" kits have historically been of similar quality to that of their toy kits. They promise all this and that and they produce radically designed models, but they never live up to the hype. And they cost, well… An arm… And a Leg, and you can't even find arms. LOL

I too prefer to run less popular brands but I would never touch a tame kit for competitive off-road racing.
"similar quality to their toy kits" ???

Not even close. And yes, their MSRP is insane, but they can be had for the same or slightly more than any other car and come with goodies in the box that most others don't. There are always these outlandish comments about TRF that are completely inaccurate. I've never had another RC that matches TRF quality and I've been in the hobby about 20 years. Can't find arms??? The same arms from like 6 different vehicles fit any of the TRF 4wd buggies and the rear of the 2wd. The arms are literally everywhere. BTW, there is quite a few Associated parts that can work in a pinch such as arms!!!
Old 01-07-2016, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mx836
"similar quality to their toy kits" ???

Not even close. And yes, their MSRP is insane, but they can be had for the same or slightly more than any other car and come with goodies in the box that most others don't.
Like bearings in the front wheels and pins in the rear
Old 01-07-2016, 03:03 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
Don't forget the sweet phillips head screws.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Socket
Don't forget the sweet phillips head screws.
Not even its some Japanese one that slightly different.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:06 PM
Tech Addict

I completely agree that they are out to lunch on that one. Definitely behind the times. On road is obviously TRF's main focus, but that doesn't change the fact that they make amazing off road vehicles as well. Not many people like them and that is perfect. If TRF was Associated, I'd find something new anyway. The hexes for the rear are $10 and many people swap B5m or Yokomo parts in the front for a hex. I don't run the 2wd TRF anymore. I'm only disagreeing with Incubus' quality comments. That's just foolish. BTW Incubus, they all make "toy" quality cars as well as race cars so that is insignificant.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:09 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I completely agree that they are out to lunch on that one. Definitely behind the times. On road is obviously TRF's main focus, but that doesn't change the fact that they make amazing off road vehicles as well. Not many people like them and that is perfect. If TRF was Associated, I'd find something new anyway. The hexes for the rear are $10 and many people swap B5m or Yokomo parts in the front for a hex. I don't run the 2wd TRF anymore. I'm only disagreeing with Incubus' quality comments. That's just foolish. BTW Incubus, they all make "toy" quality cars as well as race cars so that is insignificant.
The moment you put another brand parts on your TRF car, you've admitted that Tamiyia failed at designing a decent car.

Don't forget about the little part where the rear arms are exact replicas of B4 rear arms...Or the other little part where you have to dremel the rear arm just to fit onto the car; and the manual neglects to tell you.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

If they stick with the standardized name system it should be called the RC10 B54. I really hope they model it after the b5 series of buggies, focus on durability and simplicity. It should be the versatile and solid buggy that the b5 set.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well I've owned a few TRF kits in the last 30 years and they flat out sucked where it counts… Performance. Period, end of story.
Fit and finish were always stellar but it means jack when the car sucks and or is a tank.

I will say that the best overall quality I've found is Durango. Fit and finish on par with the best and they don't develop slop over time. My 410 is now my son's car and the rear arms on it are now 2 seasons old and have battle marks on them but there is absolutely ZERO play and absolutely ZERO Binding. I have yet to see another car achieve this. This is partly why people claim their cars aren't durable. The more precise and rigid you make something, the less give it will have so precision driving is your best friend. Seriously considering

Ever seen a D413 out of the box? It has about as much slop all over it as honey booboo's mom! (sorry I just vurped).

My PRS1 is far better than anything 2WD Tamiya has ever produced.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:15 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Socket
The moment you put another brand parts on your TRF car, you've admitted that Tamiyia failed at designing a decent car.

Don't forget about the little part where the rear arms are exact replicas of B4 rear arms...Or the other little part where you have to dremel the rear arm just to fit onto the car; and the manual neglects to tell you.
I see you watched Jason's review video. Great facts. The manual does tell you. He missed it. You don't NEED to put on different parts. Hexes aren't going to help performance. My car is a 6 year old design running all TRF parts other than The chassis and shock towers. I bought the chassis to run a shorty and the towers because they look like the newer 503. Never broke an original. I could have as easily bought the 503 which is another amazing car. Like I said how many times now, I was just commenting on quality with Incubus. Like whatever you want. Couldn't care less. I'm not trying to get people on the TRF bandwagon.

Last edited by mx836; 01-07-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

So a new Associated 4wheel huh?
Old 01-07-2016, 03:21 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by the incubus
Well I've owned a few TRF kits in the last 30 years and they flat out sucked where it counts… Performance. Period, end of story.
Well this must be 100% accurate since you put a PERIOD and END OF STORY. The sooth sayer has spoken, children.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by boucher
So a new Associated 4wheel huh?
Somebody said early next year on the last page!!
Old 01-07-2016, 03:34 PM
Tech Regular

Somebody said early next year on the last page!!
Yeah I read that, I was just poking fun at how much off topic it had gotten.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

True, but both are easily rectified with minimal expense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.