Schumacher's new K2 4wd buggy ..!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree27Likes

Schumacher's new K2 4wd buggy ..!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-11-2016, 07:12 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Schumacher's new K2 4wd buggy ..!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: AmiSMB
Welcome to the Schumacher K2 Wiki!

Please feel free to add tips and tricks as well as any information that you would feel is beneficial for everyone to know.

Introduction and Pictures Introduction and Pictures

ElectronicsSetupElectronicsSetups

Setup SheetsSetup Sheets

EmulsionShocksEmulsion Shocks

Tony Newland Gear Diff BuildTony Newland Gear Diff Build

Help I Keep Breaking Front Arms

With the K2 Schumacher sarted using an adjustable hub design that required
a relief cut in the arms for the steering knuckle to clear. The easiest solution
until a revised arm is to run the old style arms without the relief cut. Run the
hubs in the High position and set your steering end points down so the steering knuckles don't hit.

SCHU3597
SCHU3407 MED Flex

There is a newer batch of the SCHU3407 wishbones which correct the weakness in the previous front arms.

Suggested upgrades/spares
Strongly suggest to buy 10° alloy front alloy pivot blocks-U3556 the A & B front plastic pivot blocks-U4798 will break soon.

Have some shock seats spares, alloy v1-U3611, plastic-U3937, alloy v2 (off-road)-U4890

Have some spare shock shafts available U3668 & U3669
MIP pucks an Excellent option!

Misc

Other wheels that fit apart from the Schumacher wheels
Losi 22-4 wheels will fit on the front the rears will work as well!
AE b4, b5 & b6 will fit on the rear
Be sure to lock tight the track screws and rear strap this is a must!!!

AE (12mm) and KYO fronts will work with .5mm spacer - available through AVID

Don't buy the purple titanium turnbuckles as an upgrade there thread is too small and they wander too much. Lunsford Super-duty titanium turnbuckles fit very well they are 3.5mm threads. Get the 1 3/4", 2 1/8" & 57mm lengths. I did not replace the Centre Track Rod.

** When running the Super Duty turnbuckles with the stock captured ball ends, be sure to check for binding in the front steering and camber links after each run - tumbles and glances off the pipes cause them to flex and slightly twist and can bind up the front suspension ... The fix? - simply take a turnbuckle wrench and twist the link back and then forward to it's original positon .. consider doing this as a maintenance step after each run ..

Suggested Gearing

5.5 - indoor high bite clay 83/20 (+/- 1 tooth for layout and conditions etc)
13.5 At SRS Arizona I ran 75/28 buggy was quick! RCM lockout worked great!
17.5 - FDR between 5-6 depending on track. E.g. 35/66 down to 30/69 slipper eliminator in use. Different options within the thread. I use B5M exotek eliminator and file it to fit.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The kit pistons are U3770, 1.5mm 2 hole, rounded. I don't believe rounded are the same as tapered however, simply rounded edges. Tapered Pistons are colour coded, red, black etc.

Micholix, this info is available on the Schumacher website or petitrc K2 setups....
Old 11-23-2015, 08:25 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
The kit pistons are U3770, 1.5mm 2 hole, rounded. I don't believe rounded are the same as tapered however, simply rounded edges. Tapered Pistons are colour coded, red, black etc.

Micholix, this info is available on the Schumacher website or petitrc K2 setups....
The problem is, the exploded view shows U3770, these are 3 hole rounded pistons, but there is no hole size marked, and in the manual, at the end, where the setup sheets are, one is listed as kit white 1.5 and the other kit black 1.6, this is a little confusing...
But, i've got the delivery note for my kit today, so i will see soon!
Old 11-23-2015, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by micholix
Could someone please tell me, what pistons (hole size/amount of holes) are included in the kit?

Thx in advance.
The Front white piston is 1.5, the rear black piston is 1.6
Old 11-23-2015, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alon
Optional
Geez, as pricy as this kit is, you'd expect to not have to buy anything for it.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the incubus
Geez, as pricy as this kit is, you'd expect to not have to buy anything for it.
Really? This thing is going for around $450 USD online. You're griping about optional pistons? Show me a manufacturer that includes all sizes of machined pistons in the kit? And none of that molded, cut me off the sprue crap either.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Was talking about the FAB but pistons as well. It cost far more to make moulded plastics than it does to machine them but not every machinist is good with plastics. And some manufacturers include machined pistons with the kit. Just saying.

I know from personal experience when I used to produce bolts for Paintball guns. My regular machinist made them to flawless perfection and they were silky smooth and slick, but once he was tied up with a military contract he couldn't veer away from for a couple months and I had to use someone else and his final product was vastly different. Nowhere near his finish.

As for the price of this kit, it's a 1/10 kit. And if you pay attention to pricing in general you'd realize that manufacturers list their kits a bit on the high side until popularity or being the fresh new toy feeling wains a bit and then the price is adjusted to what it could have and likely should have sold for from he beginning. The 22-4 is a prime example of this as is the 410, and many others. Of course newness and demand will dictate that a bit but to some degree. It shouldn't be this expensive. There are a good amount of quality 8th scale kits for about the same, some even less than this.

You make it seem like this is a bargain! which it isn't. It's just fresh and new.

Granted, I have been a huge Schumacher fan since I fist got into RC almost 30 years ago and am looking forward to getting a K2. Just wish that at that price it included all the upgrades. I don't think that's too much to ask for, especially not for $450+.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the incubus
Was talking about the FAB but pistons as well. It cost far more to make moulded plastics than it does to machine them but not every machinist is good with plastics. And some manufacturers include machined pistons with the kit. Just saying.

I know from personal experience when I used to produce bolts for Paintball guns. My regular machinist made them to flawless perfection and they were silky smooth and slick, but once he was tied up with a military contract he couldn't veer away from for a couple months and I had to use someone else and his final product was vastly different. Nowhere near his finish.

As for the price of this kit, it's a 1/10 kit. And if you pay attention to pricing in general you'd realize that manufacturers list their kits a bit on the high side until popularity or being the fresh new toy feeling wains a bit and then the price is adjusted to what it could have and likely should have sold for from he beginning. The 22-4 is a prime example of this as is the 410, and many others. Of course newness and demand will dictate that a bit but to some degree. It shouldn't be this expensive. There are a good amount of quality 8th scale kits for about the same, some even less than this.

You make it seem like this is a bargain! which it isn't. It's just fresh and new.

Granted, I have been a huge Schumacher fan since I fist got into RC almost 30 years ago and am looking forward to getting a K2. Just wish that at that price it included all the upgrades. I don't think that's too much to ask for, especially not for $450+.

You have your opinions, I have mine. I'm not going to comment on other manufacturer's buggies in a Schumacher thread. For the cost I feel it is a fair deal if upgrading from a K1. Most if not all of my spares will work on the new ride and I for one am happy to see the pizza cutter 98T spur go away.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trevcoll
Really? This thing is going for around $450 USD online. You're griping about optional pistons? Show me a manufacturer that includes all sizes of machined pistons in the kit? And none of that molded, cut me off the sprue crap either.
Originally Posted by trevcoll
I'm not going to comment on other manufacturer's buggies in a Schumacher thread.
Just saying.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:15 PM
Tech Regular

Hi guys,

I'm ordering mine now. Woohoo will run on clay/dirt in Australia 17.5t stock class.
Question which spur gear comes with the kit. What are the part numbers for spur gears. I can't see them in the manual I downloaded.

I have associated wheels will they fit?

Anyone have any tips for the build, required upgrades, must have spares. For racing on dirt/clay are there any tuning parts I'll need?

This is my 2nd buggy ever. I have a b5m for 2wd but am super excited to get a Schumacher. There is something about them that I can't explain the attraction to their cars.
A number of questions I know, but I like to be prepared for the season starting in the new year. Hopefully do some testing in December. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Volition
Hi guys,

I'm ordering mine now. Woohoo will run on clay/dirt in Australia 17.5t stock class.
Question which spur gear comes with the kit. What are the part numbers for spur gears. I can't see them in the manual I downloaded.

Anyone have any tips for the build, required upgrades, must have spares. For racing on dirt/clay are there any tuning parts I'll need?

This is my 2nd buggy ever. I have a b5m for 2wd but am super excited to get a Schumacher. There is something about them that I can't explain the attraction to their cars.
A number of questions I know, but I like to be prepared for the season starting in the new year. Hopefully do some testing in December. Thanks in advance.
Kit I believe has 83 not recommend for 17.5 try 71T waiting for my kit as well good luck!
Old 11-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maizer
The Front white piston is 1.5, the rear black piston is 1.6
Boom, I stand corrected, my apologies.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi guys,

Hi There,

You can fit b4/b5 wheels to the rear and Losi 22-4 wheels on the front. You can also fit Associated b44 front wheels by fitting a b44 9mm hex.

I've been racing a k1 aero in stock 17.5 and one of the most critical things is the weight.
My k1 is right on min weight of 1600 grams and there are a few things you need to do to get the car this light.

First thing is run low profile short packs, then Ti screws, carbon fiber chassis, 14 gauge wires. I'm running Associated ti camber links as they are much lighter than stock, but they wont work with the new captured ball ends.

I'm also running small bore shocks from the original k1 as they are about 10 grams lighter.

Running on min weight is a huge advantage and I recommend it if you want to go fast.

Oh and I forgot to mention what else you need for racing on dirt. Get core rc springs, white and red for the rear and red and green for the front. 7.5 deg caster yokes to get more initial steering and a swaybar kit for the rear. Also, the stock pistons will be too firm for dirt, so I would drill them. (Its not cheap to be dialed!)

Last edited by DJ_KILROY; 11-23-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:46 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for your answer. Great response. What size bit for the Pistons if I kept the big bores. I'll try and lighten without changing the shocks. Probably move to mod for the following season, depending on how it goes.

The other thing is that the Spur/slipper gears are not listed anywhere? Can't find any?

Yes, running stock is not cheap. I'll accumulate the lighter parts as I go. Your list is great. I have a few ti screws around that will fit. So that's handy.
Thanks again.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for your answer. Great response. What size bit for the Pistons if I kept the big bores. I'll try and lighten without changing the shocks. Probably move to mod for the following season, depending on how it goes.

The other thing is that the Spur/slipper gears are not listed anywhere? Can't find any?

Yes, running stock is not cheap. I'll accumulate the lighter parts as I go. Your list is great. I have a few ti screws around that will fit. So that's handy.
Thanks again.
No worries,

I would run the old 2 pad slipper for stock to keep the rotational mass down.. Schumacher make a 71 tooth spur which should work.

Someone said earlier in the thread that the k2 comes with 2 hole pistons. I would drill them out to 1.7/1.8 for dirt. Schumacher shocks are bigger than most others (13mm) so you need bigger holes for them to get the right feel for dirt.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:13 AM
CA
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by micholix
Hello Chris,

Could you please tell me, how your impressions are with saddle packs on this car?
As i do not have shortys yet, i would like to run the k2 with saddels, or is it better to get some shortys?

Thx in advance and
Here's the info on the battery position;

Shorty in line – maximum agility, less stability, good for technical tracks.
Shorty transverse rear – maximum rear grip and stability
Shorty transverse front – maximum steering, good stability
Saddle – safe handling, more weight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.