Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly
Start with Richard Saxton's set-up.
Thanks. Will do.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:29 AM
Tech Regular

Default Rc8b3.1e build

Just started my build and noticed that right off the bat that during the diff build they don't tell you to put any o ring on the diff outdrive just to put black grease. Every other ae 4wd buggy I've built tells you to put a o ring as well as black grease. What gives? What is the correct build process?
Old 01-23-2018, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by jamsandolina
Just started my build and noticed that right off the bat that during the diff build they don't tell you to put any o ring on the diff outdrive just to put black grease. Every other ae 4wd buggy I've built tells you to put a o ring as well as black grease. What gives? What is the correct build process?
The manual online shows where the o-rings go for the diff outdrives. Maybe you have an old manual with an error?
Old 01-23-2018, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Krio
The manual online shows where the o-rings go for the diff outdrives. Maybe you have an old manual with an error?
I looked on the ad website and the manual is the same. I'm talking about that small groove in each outdrive, usually they tell you to put a o ring and black grease. It only shows to put a shim.here is a pic of my manual.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:20 AM
Tech Champion

Ah, I see what you mean. I know some of their other kits/versions have had o-rings go there. I'm not sure what drove the decision to leave the groove in the outdrive, but no o-rings are meant to go there. Personally, I pack it with black grease and have had no leaking issues.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

Ah, I see what you mean. I know some of their other kits/versions have had o-rings go there. I'm not sure what drove the decision to leave the groove in the outdrive, but no o-rings are meant to go there. Personally, I pack it with black grease and have had no leaking issues.
I finally got ahold of don from AE and he said they changed it all up. So No o ring on outdrive and No shims under the cross pin inside the diff housing. I guess trying something new.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Default Rc8b3.1e build

Got a quick question. I'm putting the front gear box together and ended up with 1 shim on the gear side and 3 on the opposite side. Do you mesh these gears just like a spur gear to a pinion gear with a little rocking back and forth play? I have virtually no play between the gears but I have no binding. I have no side to side play and seem to have good gear mesh but what worries me is having to put 3 shims on one side. Is that unheard of or normal?

Last edited by jamsandolina; 01-23-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:26 PM
Tech Champion

Yes, you want to set it up just like spur gear: as little of play as possible without binding. Keep in mind that when you install the cover portion of the gearbox that the mesh can change again, so check it once you have everything bolted up.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:58 PM
Tech Regular

Yes, you want to set it up just like spur gear: as little of play as possible without binding. Keep in mind that when you install the cover portion of the gearbox that the mesh can change again, so check it once you have everything bolted up.
Thanks. I'm on the steering block section and they are having me install a very small set screw which seems to have no purpose. What's the deal with that set screw?
Old 01-23-2018, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks. I'm on the steering block section and they are having me install a very small set screw which seems to have no purpose. What's the deal with that set screw?
Old 01-23-2018, 05:26 PM
Tech Champion

I believe the set screw you are talking about is just a plug. The hole is there to clean/lubricate the bearings without requiring complete disassembly.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:30 PM
Tech Regular

I believe the set screw you are talking about is just a plug. The hole is there to clean/lubricate the bearings without requiring complete disassembly.
Are the plastics on a 1/8 buggy easier to strip out a screw in than in a 1/10 buggy. The 1/8 buggy plastics seem softer or is it just in my mind. I had to remove a screw from the gear housing to remove a front arm and upon putting it back together it seems that 1 of the screws is starting to strip out. I put all my screws in by hand. I don't get that finish as I do when screwing into 1/10 plastics. Weird
Old 01-26-2018, 07:42 AM
Tech Champion

Are the plastics on a 1/8 buggy easier to strip out a screw in than in a 1/10 buggy. The 1/8 buggy plastics seem softer or is it just in my mind. I had to remove a screw from the gear housing to remove a front arm and upon putting it back together it seems that 1 of the screws is starting to strip out. I put all my screws in by hand. I don't get that finish as I do when screwing into 1/10 plastics. Weird
Most 8th scale plastics have a lot less fiber material in them compared to 10th scale cars. This makes them more flexible and durable in a crash, but can make self tapped threads less durable, as you have noticed. Any screws that go into plastic don't have to be crazy tight. Just snug. I only really lock down screws that thread into aluminum or steel, like the motor mount or steering posts.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

Most 8th scale plastics have a lot less fiber material in them compared to 10th scale cars. This makes them more flexible and durable in a crash, but can make self tapped threads less durable, as you have noticed. Any screws that go into plastic don't have to be crazy tight. Just snug. I only really lock down screws that thread into aluminum or steel, like the motor mount or steering posts.
I keep trying to tell myself that they only need to be snug but I always find myself rechecking them 2-3 times. I think its my OCD and afraid its just not tight enough. I guess ill learn the hard when I have to replace a crapload of plastics. Quick question. Would anyone be concerned if they received their kit and the 2 clear seals were already broken? The silver seal was still intact. That is how I received mine from Amain. Everything inside was sealed and there as far as I know so far. I'm hoping I didn't get one that was sitting on there shelf awhile and had been opened. I would think their online stock turn over rate would be fast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.