Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is rear motor dead?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by fredswain
What's interesting is that in dirt oval, on looser tracks, rear motor is still dominant over mid. Remember, those guys do nothing but turn. If rear motor couldn't turn well, they wouldn't be using it. That's a different topic but something to think about.

Great post. I just have to caution that fullscale racing doesn't necessarily evolve but is often limited by rule sets, and more so in spec series. Take for example F1 which is supposed to be the pinnacle of technology, yet they run huge profile tires even though it's common knowledge that low profile tires are better. The reality is that they run large profile tires to keep the brakes smaller, thus keeping the cars slower (albeit a leftover from the past). 13" wheels on the fastest road racing cars? Oh the irony.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Go check out the OCRC Instagram. Cav running RM at OCRC this week.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I don't think that rear motor is dead, but it could be heading that way. I've been running a B5 for the last few months after trying a mid-motor PRS1 for the 6 months before that. There are definitely times where I feel like I'm losing time in corners, but I've actually been doing better with the B5 overall. Although part of that is because I've only been racing for a little more than a year. I'm going to stick with the B5 until after the JConcepts Fall Indoor Nationals, but then I may switch to a B5M.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

I remember a write up about a race on the east coast a couple years ago,it was a outdoor race and everyone at the race was running rm because the track was so loose and dusty..they said joe pillars was the only guy running a mm and he had traction no one else had..they just could not figure how the mm worked better than rm in the very bad track conditions?? I had found that very interesting..seems like the mm can adjust to any track condition in the right hands with a knowledge of setup...it took me a while to convert my rb6 to mm,once I did, I would never go back. I guess mainly because all my local tracks are nice and groomed.I'm not one to follow trends but glad I did,the mm just seems so well balanced to me

Correct me if I'm wrong but, hara was the 1st to run mm in the U.S. As a factory driver level at a major big race. Running a rb6 . At the reedy race 4 years ago here in SoCal at wcrc... After that all the pro guys followed, he said he wanted to see if the mm would work on indoor clay tracks and proved it did
Old 08-15-2015, 04:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairymuffin
I remember a write up about a race on the east coast a couple years ago,it was a outdoor race and everyone at the race was running rm because the track was so loose and dusty..they said joe pillars was the only guy running a mm and he had traction no one else had..they just could not figure how the mm worked better than rm in the very bad track conditions?? I had found that very interesting..seems like the mm can adjust to any track condition in the right hands with a knowledge of setup...it took me a while to convert my rb6 to mm,once I did, I would never go back. I guess mainly because all my local tracks are nice and groomed.I'm not one to follow trends but glad I did,the mm just seems so well balanced to me

Correct me if I'm wrong but, hara was the 1st to run mm in the U.S. As a factory driver level at a major big race. Running a rb6 . At the reedy race 4 years ago here in SoCal at wcrc... After that all the pro guys followed, he said he wanted to see if the mm would work on indoor clay tracks and proved it did
I thought BK was the first when he raced for x-factory. Regardless, someone probably did it "first" in the 80's or 90's anyway.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Pssshh Mid motor and rear motor are so last year Front motor is where its at.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I see Serpent has a MM RTR buggy now and wouldn't be surprised to see other's follow suit like Associated and Losi. But companies like Traxxas, ECX, and Arrma may continue RM for their vehicles.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gooba

HAHA....Actually, FWD is better for traction in loose conditions.. think a real car in the snow/rain.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:58 PM
Tech Rookie

^^That would be cool if there was a rear/e-brake, maybe run it off a 3rd channel for the dorifto?
Old 08-15-2015, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I was so hard core rear motor I picked up a rear b5. And when anticipating a short course version was totally bummed when I heard they would only make a mid version.
Well I made my buggy into a mid car and was immediately as fast with the basic lite setup and have learned to love the car. This is on a real old school loamy Michigan track.
I just picked up and raced the sc5m box stock today and I'm sold. It jumped so much more consistently than my sc10. A couple setup changes with different tuning parts and Ill be all set.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

Whoa. Now that has me thinking.. someone should try making a front motor, rear drive RC car!
Old 08-15-2015, 08:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kalio
Whoa. Now that has me thinking.. someone should try making a front motor, rear drive RC car!
Schumacher KF.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

That thing looks... truly weird.

Don't see many real life FWD race cars, there is usually a reason why.

The best bonus about a mid mount is you can run a fan or heat sink on the motor, very hard to do in a rear mount. Can let you run a few more teeth on the gearing.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:21 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Coopz
Don't see many real life FWD race cars, there is usually a reason why.
Just competed at LeMans (FWD):

Old 08-15-2015, 09:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RCBuddha
Just competed at LeMans (FWD):

Isn't that technically an AWD car since the KERS powers the rear wheels? Also, iirc Nissan admitted to not going the traditional route because they feared losing to Audi/Porsche playing at their own game.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.