Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree84Likes

Team Associated SC5M Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wrutherf
So what is main difference you noticed? Is it just easier to driver hard or does it handle the track better? I have been contemplating switching to SC5M from SCT2.0 (My buggy and ST are Associated - like them both)

Just trying to determine if it a large step up in performance...
Exactly what bds said, it's just overall easier. look on the 22sct 2.0 page, they are starting to put 1.0 stuff back on the front and some are thinking about the old Casper 1.0 setup. Sc5m just felt good everywhere. I posted my 22 and got it sold already so me and the boy and be on the same platform

Last edited by mxturd; 08-29-2015 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-29-2015, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bds81175
I hear you guys. Anyone want to buy any tires mounted on zero offset rims, mwahahaha. I did keep some of my +3 tires from when I ran my SC10.2 back in the day. That helped me a bit at least.
Man im sure you can get the zero offset wheels to work with just a simple hex or axle combination. Much easier and cheaper then trying to sell and/or re-buy tires. On my sc10 i had a front spindle/rear hex setup that allowed me to run my losi zero offsets and still be at max width. Actually like the rear 1-2 mm narrower than the front as it seemed to offer a little more rear grip.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default SC5M is Great

For me the SC5M transition from another SC truck was exactly the same when I changed from the 22 buggy and the 22 T to the B5M and the T5M. The B5 platform takes racing to a new level. So easy to drive, tune and having ability to mix parts is nice. At my local track, Outback Chico, I'm running the SC5M at Buggy lap times. Impressive truck.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:15 PM
Tech Adept

Has anyone switched back to a gear diff? Is it possible?
Old 08-30-2015, 03:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by bds81175
I hear you guys. Anyone want to buy any tires mounted on zero offset rims, mwahahaha. I did keep some of my +3 tires from when I ran my SC10.2 back in the day. That helped me a bit at least.
If you run the TLR +.75 rear hex on the back of your SC5M you can run the 0 off sets rims and this will bring the wheel track out and and add an 3mm hex spacer to the front and you can run 0,s all round.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hauptmann6
Has anyone switched back to a gear diff? Is it possible?
Strange you mention it...

When I built my SC5m, I knew I wanted a 3-gear immediately. Not wanting to wait to order a few extra parts for conversion (case, cover and motor-plate), I just lifted it out of one of my B5m buggy’s. Ran it in the SC5m for many races and practice sessions. I knew it was feeling tired and needed a rebuild. Before the start of the Saturday race day, I had the time to pop in the gear diff I had built up for carpet racing, and figured I'd just rebuild the ball diff in between rounds if it was too terrible.

I have one race day on it, and it was awesome, no issues at all other than a bit of on power push (5,000wt). However, as the track dried up a bit during the rest of the day, it was very enjoyable to drive. Let me say that it rained heavily all day here Saturday, so maybe the track never dried to the extent that it usually would have.

You can debate oil weights, but keep in mind, I just dropped in what I had, it felt fine and I ran with it - TQ and win with drivers at the same skill level as myself. I didn't feel the gear diff hurt me in the least. So, give it a try on a practice session. I don't think there is a lot of testing that's been done on a mid motor shortcourse and a gear diff. Who knows, maybe they compliment one another.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

I run a gear diff in my T5M. Its ok. I'm not positive that I like it better than a ball diff but I've run in 2 big events in the last month and I was in the AMain in one and B-Q in the other so it cant be that bad.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
I run a gear diff in my T5M. Its ok. I'm not positive that I like it better than a ball diff but I've run in 2 big events in the last month and I was in the AMain in one and B-Q in the other so it cant be that bad.
Can you comment on the track surface?

I'm on an indoor medium, to medium high grip dirt surface. Certainly nothing anywhere near SRS in Az...
Old 08-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Sugared outdoor bluegroove. Monster traction. Like SRS but different. This time of year its like hot concrete. X2, MX, or medium compound tires. I run 5K in the gear diff and when I ran Kyosho, up to 7k. When traction and and temps drop I'll go back to a ball diff. THe gear diff is only for high traction IMHO.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by celt
Strange you mention it...

When I built my SC5m, I knew I wanted a 3-gear immediately. Not wanting to wait to order a few extra parts for conversion (case, cover and motor-plate), I just lifted it out of one of my B5m buggy’s. Ran it in the SC5m for many races and practice sessions. I knew it was feeling tired and needed a rebuild. Before the start of the Saturday race day, I had the time to pop in the gear diff I had built up for carpet racing, and figured I'd just rebuild the ball diff in between rounds if it was too terrible.
What gear diff did you use? One out of an SC10?

I had a ball diff in my old RC10L. Never did figure it out. And relearning EVERYTHING from back in the day.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

What gear diff did you use? One out of an SC10?

I had a ball diff in my old RC10L. Never did figure it out. And relearning EVERYTHING from back in the day.
#ASC91461

Similar to the SC10, maybe bearing dimensions have changed.

http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/team-as...c91461/p275228
Old 08-30-2015, 12:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by celt
#ASC91461

Similar to the SC10, maybe bearing dimensions have changed.

http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/team-as...c91461/p275228
Thanks. I'm waiting till winter OT to buy stuff, but I'll squirrel that away.

Did the 3 gear transmission make much of a difference?
Old 08-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks. I'm waiting till winter OT to buy stuff, but I'll squirrel that away.

Did the 3 gear transmission make much of a difference?
Well, it did for me and others that bought the truck where I race - Trackside in Milwaukee Wisconsin. The 3-gear seems to better control weight transfer that shortcourse trucks are infamous for. Chassis runs much flatter if that makes sense.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi, everyone!
I want to buy SC5M kit and I want to ask you a standart n00b question: What parts should I buy first of all (with kit) and what recommended parts?
In first post I can find list of parts for B5M. I think in this topic users of this kit already discuss what parts must have for SC5M!

Thaaanks!
Old 08-31-2015, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Awesome truck. The only thing I did was run 30wt in the rear instead of 32, and added x rings. Its so stable in corners and jumps pretty nice. I also added the brass C block to aid with some grip and to add more ballast in the rear. I still find that the truck still jumps a little nose down. Even with the Brass C and battery to the rear, and raised the front 2mm higher than the rear, it still jumps a tad bit nose heavy. Its not really that much of an issue as you can correct it with throttle. But still, sometimes I don't want to blip the throttle in the air when trying to go thru a rhythm section. Any ideas?
Btw I am running the 4 gear. Do you think the 3 gear will help?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.