Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree84Likes

Team Associated SC5M Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlashBash10
Don't forget the topshaft spacers
No spacers are needed
Old 05-14-2017, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

correct, but I did end up putting some shims on either side out drives to eliminate some play. Did this on both the B5M and SC5M.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:07 AM
Tech Adept

guys, thanks for the info!

Much appreciated
Old 05-22-2017, 07:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default SC5M Transmission Issue

So I have slowly found time to get the electronics put into my newly built SC5M. I am followed a diff break in and slipper setting guide on rctech, a little different than what I was used to back with my old T3 and B3. I figured I would try a newer technique, even though the mechanics are pretty much the same as they were 10-15 years ago.

Unfortunately I am getting this nasty sound when I apply the brake fast, as well as when I apply full throttle from a quick stop. I know the sound is not good, something is definately wrong. I tried adjusting the diff after I heard the sound to the manual setings, by tightening it and then backing off 1/8 of a turn. Also followed the recommended slipper setting, still the same sound.

If you follow the link, then it will take you to a video I uploaded to youtube.

https://youtu.be/RZ4fzucvrlk

Please help. I really hope I didn't mess anything up. I have heard about diff barking, but have never encountered it back when I used to be in RC. I hope that it is not that, from what I read it can really mess up the diff.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bortp
So I have slowly found time to get the electronics put into my newly built SC5M. I am followed a diff break in and slipper setting guide on rctech, a little different than what I was used to back with my old T3 and B3. I figured I would try a newer technique, even though the mechanics are pretty much the same as they were 10-15 years ago.

Unfortunately I am getting this nasty sound when I apply the brake fast, as well as when I apply full throttle from a quick stop. I know the sound is not good, something is definately wrong. I tried adjusting the diff after I heard the sound to the manual setings, by tightening it and then backing off 1/8 of a turn. Also followed the recommended slipper setting, still the same sound.

If you follow the link, then it will take you to a video I uploaded to youtube.

https://youtu.be/RZ4fzucvrlk

Please help. I really hope I didn't mess anything up. I have heard about diff barking, but have never encountered it back when I used to be in RC. I hope that it is not that, from what I read it can really mess up the diff.
I watched your video, almost sounds like diff bark to me. Where is your slipper set? When I first started back into the hobby I had this issue with my T4. I set the slipper too tight and I scored my diff rings and had the horrible barking sound on throttle. I now set my slipper loose, then punch the throttle and make small adjustments until I get the launch and traction I want. When set correctly the slipper should slip before the diff does - it should keep your diff from "barking" or slipping.

If your slipper is too loose it could be noisy as well. Start when the nut flush with the screw, or just slightly screwed on a few threads past the nut, place on the ground and punch the throttle. If it doesn't move keep making small adjustments (tighten) until the truck launches correctly. I'm sure others will chime in here too, there are different ways to adjust the slipper but this works for me.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Default X Factory Infinity Chassis

I am sure it's been discussed many times but I ask again . Anyone have one and what's your thoughts on them. Thanks
Old 05-24-2017, 05:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a ton of slop in the front hubs. Camber can go from +1 (leaning out) to -3 (leaning in). Will B6 caster blocks and steering blocks help reduce slop?
Old 05-24-2017, 06:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Has anyone tried to mount an SC10B body on this truck? I'm thinking of getting an SC10B, but would prefer running a more modern, metric platform.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tsair
Has anyone tried to mount an SC10B body on this truck? I'm thinking of getting an SC10B, but would prefer running a more modern, metric platform.
You will probably need some parts from the SC5M to make it work-
They are the same basic chassis, and same transmission I believe..
Main differences are going to be in the longer suspension arms and body
mounting bracketry.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ugh, such craving for this car again! Did when it was first announced, but then haven't been driving until now again. I do like my SC10 RS and SC10 4x4 FT, but somehow still yearning for a more advanced 2WD. I have a B5M also and it was fun to build it, didn't have that experiece with the SC10s (got the FT used).

The silly part being not having driven all that much with any of the existing cars, should really focus on gaining more experience and at least a reasonable amount of speed (I'm slooooow if I want to stay upright for any reasonable amount of time) rather than getting new stuff :P
Old 05-29-2017, 08:53 AM
Tech Regular

looking for some suggestions to help with body roll on sharp turns. I have installed both front and rear sway bars. Anyone have a setup for high traction (smaller indoor carpet track) they would recommend?
Old 05-29-2017, 11:49 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I wouldn't necessarily call "body roll" a handling issue. What exactly do you want your truck to do differently? Typically when grip goes up you would increase oil weight and spring rate. If you are traction rolling you could reduce droop, increase negative camber or a number of other things. How can we help?
Old 05-29-2017, 12:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bds81175
I wouldn't necessarily call "body roll" a handling issue. What exactly do you want your truck to do differently? Typically when grip goes up you would increase oil weight and spring rate. If you are traction rolling you could reduce droop, increase negative camber or a number of other things. How can we help?

Thanks for the feedback. To better answer your question when making a hard tight turn the one of the wheels in the rear lifts up off the ground causing the car to flip over most of the time. For example when coming down the back straight away into a hard right turn (almost a 180) the rear right tire will left up several inches off the ground, causing all the weight to transfer to the left side of the truck and then flipping over. Breaking hard in the corner will only make the problem worse.

Looking for any suggestions on what to change or a good base to start on for a small to medium size indoor high traction carpet setup. Thanks
Old 05-29-2017, 12:56 PM
Tech Regular

Also if it helps running gray springs on rear and white springs on front.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:28 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Basically what's happening there is you are falling over onto the front outside tire because there is too much grip for the suspension to resist the movement. You need to definitely increase spring rate in front along with oil weight. Check the wheel rates at that point by pushing the chassis to the ground (fully ready to run) and releasing it to make sure the front and rear are rising at about the same rate. You may need to increase the spring and oil in the rear as well to keep the truck balanced. Lower your ride height and if you still have issues reduce droop by adding additional limiters in the shocks under the piston. You can also trim the front tires to help with this issue along with applying tire glue to the outside side wall of the front tire. Anyone else feel free to chime in. I haven't run on carpet in quite a while but this should help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.