Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree84Likes

Team Associated SC5M Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 08:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

If I take my SC10 puck system and just swap out the 89 mm shafts for the 81 mm SC5M shafts, will everything else fit? Or are the diff outdrives different too?
Old 09-08-2016, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sizzlechest
If I take my SC10 puck system and just swap out the 89 mm shafts for the 81 mm SC5M shafts, will everything else fit? Or are the diff outdrives different too?
I think the outdrives ar different too. SC5m is Metric bearings, and the sc10 are imperial if I'm not mistaken
Old 09-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scott R
I think the outdrives ar different too. SC5m is Metric bearings, and the sc10 are imperial if I'm not mistaken
I was thinking that but I just mic'ed the outdrives where the bearing sits and its the same. I then installed the SC10 diff in my SC5M gearbox...and it fits good. I might have to shim a little but there was no bearing slop. I checked MIP and they have different part #s for the outdrives so now I'm really confused. Is there anyone here from MIP who can clear this up?
Old 09-08-2016, 01:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yanks213x
Ok.

Another question .. I was looking at the ball stud spacing through out and wanted to know what increasing and decreasing the spacing in each area would do ..

For example,

In the rear, the camber link is at -2 with 3mm of ball stud spacing

the front is at 1mm on the shock tower and 2mm within the steering rack.

The track I run on is a high traction, dirt/clay mix ... we all run slicks if that helps.

I saw one set up where the rear camber link was at +2 with 0mm. Couldn't I technically just take away a 1mm spacer and get the same effect? I don't mind flipping it over.

also the set up had 1mm in steering rack and 1.5mm on shock tower.

Thanks again..

P.S - When I was running it, it was running nice but I feel like my corners could definitely be tighter if that makes sense.
Just to update on this...

Rear Camber link is at +2

Hard arms both front and rear

Rear oil is 30.

I have gray springs ready for the front. Gonna try those.

I also upgraded the motor to a Tekin Gen 2 Redline - 17.5

Gearing is 26/75 and timing is around 20 if memory serves correct. Car is nice but I feel like I'm losing power so I think I need to make a change. What sort of suggestions do you all have with the gearing / timing?

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yanks213x
Just to update on this...

Rear Camber link is at +2

Hard arms both front and rear

Rear oil is 30.

I have gray springs ready for the front. Gonna try those.

I also upgraded the motor to a Tekin Gen 2 Redline - 17.5

Gearing is 26/75 and timing is around 20 if memory serves correct. Car is nice but I feel like I'm losing power so I think I need to make a change. What sort of suggestions do you all have with the gearing / timing?

Thanks.
Sounds like you are on the right track.
I run the same gearing but I'm using a Killshot Maxilla with almost 55 degrees of timing. Not familiar with the tekin motors.

Best bet would keep bumping up the timing by 5 and monitoring your temps.
Once it gets too warm for your liking back it down.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scott R
This is true.

Originally Posted by Sizzlechest
I was thinking that but I just mic'ed the outdrives where the bearing sits and its the same. I then installed the SC10 diff in my SC5M gearbox...and it fits good. I might have to shim a little but there was no bearing slop. I checked MIP and they have different part #s for the outdrives so now I'm really confused. Is there anyone here from MIP who can clear this up?
It might work ok due to tolerance levels. Just be sure when it is all together everything works as it should. I should caution you that you may experience premature wear and tear on these components.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:39 AM
Tech Regular

Default Ride Height - going low

Currently running my sc5m at 27/25mm Ride Height and want to go lower. Noticed that Cavalieri is at 25/23mm and uses Front Truck springs and X-Gear rears both with 5mm offset cups is what his setup sheet at petitrc notes.

With the AE 54mm and 72mm springs, the springs are "loose" at full droop with 0 offset cups and collars are all the way up at around 27/25.

Anyway, not sure how Cav gets such a low ride height. I think the truck would be great that low.

thanks.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hsp-sandiego
Currently running my sc5m at 27/25mm Ride Height and want to go lower. Noticed that Cavalieri is at 25/23mm and uses Front Truck springs and X-Gear rears both with 5mm offset cups is what his setup sheet at petitrc notes.

With the AE 54mm and 72mm springs, the springs are "loose" at full droop with 0 offset cups and collars are all the way up at around 27/25.

Anyway, not sure how Cav gets such a low ride height. I think the truck would be great that low.

thanks.
Install limiters inside the shocks, then you can pre-tension the springs
Old 09-19-2016, 09:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

thanks.
Which setup sheet are you going off? I don't see one with those ride heights. Thanks
Old 09-19-2016, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cecce12
Which setup sheet are you going off? I don't see one with those ride heights. Thanks
He's probably referring to the ROAR Nats setup from SRS. That track is basically modeling clay and when prepped right has tons of traction. The low ride heights are essential on that track. I'm at 28F / 26R ride height outdoor....but I may try a little bit lower next time out.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:23 AM
Tech Regular

I should have posted a link to that setup - here it is.

Noticed Ryan is using 3 limiters in the fronts and 1 in the rears. I forget how many i have in there currently, but that makes sense to stack them up.

thanks.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
He's probably referring to the ROAR Nats setup from SRS.
Matt, that is exactly right! Guessing you race at Hotrod. Super fun little outdoor track. SCVRC is great too. My mother lives in Valencia - need to stay longer next visit to get a race night in.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:31 AM
Tech Champion

Matt, that is exactly right! Guessing you race at Hotrod. Super fun little outdoor track. SCVRC is great too. My mother lives in Valencia - need to stay longer next visit to get a race night in.
I haven't been to Hot Rod since shootout in '13. I haven't been to scvrc in months as I don't really care for it. I have been making the trip to Camarillo for racing and the occasional trip even further to either OCRC or NorCal in San Jose.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
I haven't been to Hot Rod since shootout in '13. I haven't been to scvrc in months as I don't really care for it. I have been making the trip to Camarillo for racing and the occasional trip even further to either OCRC or NorCal in San Jose.
was a assumption as your signature is "Northern SoCal".
Old 09-19-2016, 10:52 AM
Tech Champion

was a assumption as your signature is "Northern SoCal".
No worries....I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere. The trip to Camarillo is 1:45 each way but well worth it. They run off-road the 1st and 3rd sunday of the month. Blue groove style outdoor racing...had 13 heats yesterday. The trip to OCRC/Norcal is about 3.5 hours each way. If you ever want to race outdoors look into Camarillo for a good time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.