Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree84Likes

Team Associated SC5M Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated SC5M Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Wildcat1971
Team Associated SC5M Wiki Content.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 01:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boucher
Man that's exactly how I feel about mine. It just doesn't have the "locked down" feeling that my B5m and T5m have. I'm about to have a laydown gearbox not being used, so I'm going to give that a try. I already run the battery full forward. I'm going to lower the ride height too and then play with roll centers to get more steering. Still a fun truck though.
yeah, I tried to lower the ride height with the shock collers, but i didnt like it. The springs flopped around at fell extension. I will probably try for 25/24 ride height and use limiters to get me close. probably 5 limiters front and 3-4 rear.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by speeddaddy
I was able to get the broken screw out. I was just wondering if there is a way to get just the screws or if you know the size of the screws. Thanks
Context: Screw broke inside aluminum wheel hex.

I have the same problem. How did you get the screw out?

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2016, 03:35 AM
Tech Regular

Default Low grip setups

Originally Posted by man1ac
Had the first runs with my kit SC5M on a loose grip (max medium?) clay track. Cant say I love this truck.
Normally all guys run B5Rs (so you know that its really low grip, kit B5ms dont have a chance).

You have so many steering almost zero rear grip (just like a B5M ). Is there any kind of setup I can look at or any recommendation to make this truck feel better? I tried my sadle pack and this makes it quite better, but still: You cant accelerate out of long curves or you will spin that damn thing
Here's my very loose track setup. We run 10.5T limit.
I use saddle packs never tried shorty packs.
Track is silty dry clay very dusty. I was getting despondent as the truck was awful with the kit setup until I made the following changes

Front is kit setup.
Rear shock oil 30wt
Rear springs green. These are really soft so I ended up using 9mm spring perches.
Brass D mount.
3.5 rear toe.
5gm xtra weight added at each rear block.
Alloy rear hubs.
Alloy front hubs and castor blocks. (Front hubs by integy , very nice takes care of the bearing slop issue).
The added weight was the biggest single improvement I have seen.
Remove all spacers from inner rear camber links to raise roll centre. Do this one at a time and try it out. Roll centre changes made a real difference too.
I run AKA gridiron rear tires. Fronts don't seem to make much difference on my track. Fine pin style tires seem the go to design for our track.

With these changes I have gone from dead last to competitive with the top of the field at our club.

This setup is a work in progress, not the last word in low grip setups.

I hope it works for you.

Last edited by loopedeloop; 05-17-2016 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Stupid phone spellchecker changing words
Old 05-17-2016, 05:14 AM
Tech Addict

Hey!

Thanks! Will try it out!
I dont have any brass stuff (i think its way too expensive) and will add the weight as lead plates! So I am going to remove the AE31286? Did I get that right? If I look at the hudy setup guide, it tells me that I shouldn't set the rear roll center even higher. I says i should lower it even more, cause I get more rear traction? Or what do I get wrong?
Old 05-17-2016, 06:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JasonD
Context: Screw broke inside aluminum wheel hex.

I have the same problem. How did you get the screw out?

Thanks!
Happened to me, i guess i got lucky and just ran a new screw in the front and it threaded the broken piece out the back.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:53 AM
Tech Regular

Hey!

Thanks! Will try it out!
I dont have any brass stuff (i think its way too expensive) and will add the weight as lead plates! So I am going to remove the AE31286? Did I get that right? If I look at the hudy setup guide, it tells me that I shouldn't set the rear roll center even higher. I says i should lower it even more, cause I get more rear traction? Or what do I get wrong?
No you didn't get it wrong. It's a counter-intuitive change but it really seemed to work.

I think that before the truck was leaning so far into the suspension that it took forever to transfer the weight to the outside tire to get it to grip. I couldn't even come out of a slow turn without spinning. It seemed to wallow in the back. Now it is controllable at least.

Get some tire shop wheel weights for the rear hubs. I drill and mount them under the outer camber link ball stud (12mm thread ones)for want of somewhere better to put them.
Your throttle finger plays a big part on how it runs too.
Just try it and tweak it as you see fit YMMV.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:27 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks! Will try it out!
Is there any other brass c/d mount surce? The C and D cost around 35$ each here in germany. Thats just wrong.
The EU banned the lead wheel weights, so I'll have to look elsewhere.

The main problem I have is when getting into a corner it feels like the truck wants to deep dive into the corner (like you would have way to much steering). Next moment your rear starts spinning, no traction....I could reverse direction in a second
Old 05-17-2016, 09:43 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks! Will try it out!
Is there any other brass c/d mount surce? The C and D cost around 35$ each here in germany. Thats just wrong.
The EU banned the lead wheel weights, so I'll have to look elsewhere.

The main problem I have is when getting into a corner it feels like the truck wants to deep dive into the corner (like you would have way to much steering). Next moment your rear starts spinning, no traction....I could reverse direction in a second
I buy all my stuff from A main hobbies in the US. Postage is partially covered by them if you spend above a certain amount and only takes 6 days to New Zealand. They are an awesome shop to deal with.

The new wheel weights are steel. I used 5gm mounted to each rear hub. The brass D weight is behind the axle so biases weight rearward.That really helps to get rid of some steering . I didn't want any weight ahead of rear axle or I would have gotten more steering back

My truck is just starting to understeer a little with this setup so I know I'm on the right track.

Like I said before I'm still working on it I think there's more rear grip there yet. Just have to find it
Old 05-18-2016, 03:16 AM
Tech Addict

Have thought of that, but with 50$ incl. shipping I'd have to pay taxes and customs and I end up spending 62$ and I would have to drive to the customs office (20miles one way)...
Old 05-18-2016, 04:25 AM
Tech Regular

I guess I'm lucky. We have to spend $300 NZD before we get stung in customs.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:04 AM
Tech Addict

Here in germany the value is 30$ incl. shipping. So almost nothing.
But it seems there is no alternative source for the brass arm mounts? No schelle or avid or anything....thats bad
Old 05-18-2016, 09:28 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

schelle makes a steel C mount.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Anybody have Kinwald's setup from the cactus classic?
Old 05-20-2016, 08:32 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
Anybody have Kinwald's setup from the cactus classic?
it would not help you. lots of custom stuff.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
it would not help you. lots of custom stuff.
did he run buggy shocks and towers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.