Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree219Likes

Tekno RC SCT410.3 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 09-05-2022, 08:19 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tekno RC SCT410.3 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: rustyus
Welcome to the SCT410.3 Wiki!

7.26.17 - BB
In order to run the recommended team setup, you need the following optional parts:
TKR6106 Orange LF Springs
TKR6114 Green LF Springs
TKR6018 composite shock caps (built to emulsion) OR TKR8702 Aluminum Emulsion Shock caps
TKR8027 Shock Stand Offs
TKR6051 8x1.3 pistons(drilled to 1.4mm)
TKR8104 .4 bellcranks
TKR8100 .4 ackerman
TKR5545B HRC Hubs
You also need the Aluminum C Block (others can stay composite)

What option parts should I consider buying with a new kit?
None are required but we recommend the following:

TKR5161 – V2 Adjustable Hinge Pin Brace “A” block, 7075 CNC, EB/NB/ET/NT/SCT) - Helps to improve durability on hard crashes.

TKR5163 – V2 Adjustable Hinge Pin Brace “C” block, 7075 CNC, EB/NB/ET/NT/SCT) - Helps to improve durability on hard crashes.

TKR5545B – HRC Rear Hubs (L/R, CV or uni, SCT.3/SL) - Improves stability of the rear on mid to corner exit. Allows harder acceleration on corner exit.

TKR6146 - CNC Delrin Shock Cartridge Set

TiNi Shock Shafts
-TKR6004T (front)
-TKR6017T (rear)

What spare parts should I keep on hand?
TKR5020 – Hinge Pins (inner, front/rear)
TKR5516 – Front Suspension Arms and TKR5515 – Rear Suspension Arms
TKR5542 – Spindle Carriers - TKR5541B Spindles
TKR6009 – Shock O-Ring and Bladder Set (for 2 shocks)

Tips and Tricks

List of Vehicle Setup Adjustments and Build Tips can be found here. There are several videos and articles detailing the building of shocks, diffs, camber links, etc.

Use steering stops/limiter washers... more info here.

Setup Sheets:
Setup sheets for all Tekno RC vehicles can be found here. Please be sure to try our recommended setup. It works very well on most tracks.

Hinge Pin Insert Chart:

Warranty Policy:
Tekno RC is the only company in the industry that will give 50% off of parts if returned to them using the General Warranty return policy found on their website. The parts can be lightly used or completely abused, as long as the part is still being produced it's covered!

Piston Drills:
Some of our setups recommend using pistons that are enlarged. For instance 4x1.9 or 3x2.0. To drill the pistons we recommend the following:
GMK Supply Piston Drill Set
16PC Metric Bit Set Metric Sizes 2.00 to 3.00 MM.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 01:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For sake of keeping interesting discussion for learning, Team pro "Jeremy McGuigan" and I where relaying on shock pistons and the effects of different design and setup theory.
Interestingly the Tekno pistons are unlike any others in such regard, being a conical funnel shape that Jeremy and myself believe is advantageous over static flat disc types, through theory and his personal experience and extensive testing.
Within the topic we can agree there is a lot of skepticism and controversy that surround port tapers and whether or not there is any noticeable function to the notion.

Luckily for us, there aren't just two options to play with or lack of theory for consideration!

To reference a company and product I personally believe in and fully support, I would like to add some take away insight from Vision Racing Product's (VRP) founding engineer, "Mr Lawson" who would suggest there is negligible effect to be had in port taper or taper direction, and has said to have been proven the case through extensive shock dyno testing scenarios.
A viscous fluid traveling through a fixed hole is not effected either way it flows, no matter how it is introduced into the void.
Displacing volume is displacing volume and will remain as such in a closed environment.
(This to me makes perfect sense that fluid dynamics will also generally support.)
Hence the reason for the two-stage design that introduces more flowing ports on the rebound stroke.
Admittedly, Mr Lawson says there is nothing new about the design or theory behind it, and makes no bones about that.
However, what makes VRP pistons so unique is simplicity of design.
Generally this is universally accepted as a "key ingredient" to a reliable and consistent function, which needs little thought for tuning swap outs as needed.

That being said, Tekno's Jeremy McGuigan had some valuable insight in regards to what he can personal attest for from using the non-typical Tekno designed pistons in upright and inverted position.
While the effects of such reversal may be negligible for a flat style design, "taper ported or not", the felt difference of the Tekno design is noticeably pronounced.

Personally I found this to be thought provoking with my own theoretical reasoning behind why this would be the case and has lead me to my own conclusions to the matter.
With all things considered from much research and deep discussion, I believe Tekno's design utilizes the "lesser considered but equally profound ingredient" of the micro air bubbles that are inevitable within any passive sealed fluid shock, regardless of progressive or "dead" setup choice.
If my theory is correct, the conical shape must help funnel and condense these micro air bubbles by channeling a central compaction in a way that significantly changes the rate of pack and rebound, exponentially so as tolerances close up from extension and or compression.
Any comments on the subject or personal experiences or preferences would be much appreciated to add to what I've said.

Last edited by Josh L; 01-30-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Josh L
For sake of keeping interesting discussion for learning, Team pro "Jeremy McGuigan" and I where relaying on shock pistons and the effects of different design and setup theory.
Interestingly the Tekno pistons are unlike any others in such regard, being a conical funnel shape that Jeremy and myself believe is advantageous over static flat disc types, through theory and his personal experience and extensive testing.
Within the topic we can agree there is a lot of skepticism and controversy that surround port tapers and whether or not there is any noticeable function to the notion.

Luckily for us, there aren't just two options to play with or lack of theory for consideration!

To reference a company and product I personally believe in and fully support, I would like to add some take away insight from Vision Racing Product's (VRP) founding engineer, "Mr Lawson" who would suggest there is negligible effect to be had in port taper or taper direction, and has said to have been proven the case through extensive shock dyno testing scenarios.
A viscous fluid traveling through a fixed hole is not effected either way it flows, no matter how it is introduced into the void.
Displacing volume is displacing volume and will remain as such in a closed environment.
(This to me makes perfect sense that fluid dynamics will also generally support.)
Hence the reason for the two-stage design that introduces more flowing ports on the rebound stroke.
Admittedly, Mr Lawson says there is nothing new about the design or theory behind it, and makes no bones about that.
However, what makes VRP pistons so unique is simplicity of design.
Generally this is universally accepted as a "key ingredient" to a reliable and consistent function, which needs little thought for tuning swap outs as needed.

That being said, Tekno's Jeremy McGuigan had some valuable insight in regards to what he can personal attest for from using the non-typical Tekno designed pistons in upright and inverted position.
While the effects of such reversal may be negligible for a flat style design, "taper ported or not", the felt difference of the Tekno design is noticeably pronounced.

Personally I found this to be thought provoking with my own theoretical reasoning behind why this would be the case and has lead me to my own conclusions to the matter.
With all things considered from much research and deep discussion, I believe Tekno's design utilizes the "lesser considered but equally profound ingredient" of the micro air bubbles that are inevitable within any passive sealed fluid shock, regardless of progressive or "dead" setup choice.
If my theory is correct, the conical shape must help funnel and condense these micro air bubbles by channeling a central compaction in a way that significantly changes the rate of pack and rebound, exponentially so as tolerances close up from extension and or compression.
Any comments on the subject or personal experiences or preferences would be much appreciated to add to what I've said.

Josh L, very good post - I have been reading a lot of your posts and learn a lot from them.

This one seems simple enough, the Tekno tapered piston has less of the same quick rebound effect than the port opening VRP. I know the entire set of equations from Bernoulli don't show this because they don't talk of compressible fluids.

Its simple deduction that the pointed tapered side will compress the fluid less that the cupped side making the rebound stroke faster than the compression stroke.

Like you already said, air bubbles just make that effect stronger - not to mention the tension, shear, and wave behavior that are nearly impossible to understand unless you throw it into an Ansys model or something.

I'll try both Pistons since the VRP's seem to be in stock at my local Hobby Shop Track (Dirt Burners, Livonia, MI). Already purchased the tapered 6x1.5 pistons from Tekno. We shall see!
Old 01-31-2016, 07:08 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Do we really know what kinds of piston speeds we are talking about in these shocks? I hate to over think these machines but as an engineer and having missed ALL racing this weekend due to other obligations....I need to get my fix somehow.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bds81175
Do we really know what kinds of piston speeds we are talking about in these shocks? I hate to over think these machines but as an engineer and having missed ALL racing this weekend due to other obligations....I need to get my fix somehow.
No, but finding the answers through effects of testing them will be awesome!
And just to inform everyone, VRP just now released a new version (V2) of their game changer pistons!
Check them out here>
http://www.visionracingproducts.com/

Note the site has been up and down all day, due to updating. But check back ever so often, and you will see what I told you about
Old 01-31-2016, 06:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just built my second SCT410.3 and I just have one question... I mean... it's really a great kit... really really good... BUT... SERIOUSLY... why don't they just ream the a-arms before they ship the kit... I'm sure there is some rando who has some perfect way to accomplish this or some smart response... but seriously... just give us A-arms that fit the damn hinge pins already!!! Argh!!!
Old 01-31-2016, 06:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HoldDaMayo
Just built my second SCT410.3 and I just have one question... I mean... it's really a great kit... really really good... BUT... SERIOUSLY... why don't they just ream the a-arms before they ship the kit... I'm sure there is some rando who has some perfect way to accomplish this or some smart response... but seriously... just give us A-arms that fit the damn hinge pins already!!! Argh!!!
I was looking at one of these. I'd be nice if it was longer though.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CW8URZ6
Old 01-31-2016, 08:01 PM
Tech Addict

Just get one of these
4mm Turnigy Arm Reamer
Old 01-31-2016, 08:14 PM
Tech Addict

Another good method for getting the arms to loosen up is one I use.
Take and chuck up one of the longest pins in a drill. Preferably a used one once you have more than just the original set, but a new one works...
Hold the arm still while running the drill and that will start to build up heat and slick the inner hole. Pull it back out and then take a pencil and run the drill while holding the graphite against the pin. Paint the entire thing with the graphite and run the pin back into the holes with the drill again. This coats the inside with graphite and slicks it up like a glass bearing.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

I have a 4300 Pro4 HD motor on the way to work with this beast of a Tekno 410.3. I've heard lots of stories about guys heating this motor up pretty good on our local clay indoor track.

Do you guys run a motor fan? if so what fan setup do you recommend that works well with this truck? Thanks!
Old 02-01-2016, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by twistedneck
I have a 4300 Pro4 HD motor on the way to work with this beast of a Tekno 410.3. I've heard lots of stories about guys heating this motor up pretty good on our local clay indoor track.

Do you guys run a motor fan? if so what fan setup do you recommend that works well with this truck? Thanks!
Im running this fan
http://www.sumo-racing.com/Tekno_SCT410_Fan_Kit.html
Old 02-01-2016, 12:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by twistedneck

Just get a HW motor forget about the heat problems
Old 02-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Tech Adept

The pic above with the Sumo Fan has a HW motor!
Old 02-01-2016, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Or run the Hobbywing esc and forget about the heat problem.
From my experience , Rx8 seem to want to cook any motor you hook it up to!!
Old 02-01-2016, 05:36 PM
Tech Rookie

couldnt you just gear it properly, probably down a tooth or two to drop temps. Works for me.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm running 4300hd with 17t pinion and never had any heat issues. Current limiter at 75, but going to take it back even more.

I agree with the arm reaming thing. Just make it right out of the box. That being said, I use a #19 drill bit. That 4mm reamer wears my arm out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.