Community
Wiki Posts
Search

17.5 CW Rotation Timing Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

According to what I have read there are people doing the mm conversion with this truck and having good success. To my knowledge they are all running mod so the timing issue I am having is not an issue. Its really something for me to play with as it is a hobby and I enjoy the tinkering at home.

rcjunky. I am going to look into that some more. I also need to read up on the 22 2.0 mm conversion and see how its done and maybe that will give me an idea about how to get around this issue. I also think I can possibly mod the trans with another gear to correct the rotation. I have access to all the machinery needed as i am a machinist running both manual and cnc equipment.

With all that being said it may be in my best interest to run mod instead of blinky so I can see if the setup works for me before i invest in making / modifying the trans internally. I'm sure i could also create a new motor plate to accept the motor on the other side although that would hang some weight off to one side.

Thanks Guys
Old 12-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

if you're a machinist, I'd spend the time drawing up and making a 4 gear trans for it and what ever else is need for the conversion and sell a kit to cover some of your time
Old 12-18-2014, 12:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

IMO, if you want real flexibility get a Durango 210 transmission. It's designed to be 3 gear or 4 gear and be run mid motor or rear motor. If you could adapt that to the Pro 2 chassis and find the right length CV axles, it could be a neat solution.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm not sure about all aspects of running an RC motor in reverse with regards to timing, but I've used a mid motor 3 gear conversion for about a year now. I've had good luck with the following system:

Tekin RS Gen 1 and 2 in reverse rotation mode
Reedy 17.5 run with timing on the can in the opposite of normal timing adjustment (I think I had to dremel off some timing stops, but can't remember)
Team Powers 17.5 (with can timing), 10.5, 9.5 (no timing).

I didn't have any problems doing this. I also didn't try any timing in the ESC.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Tech Champion

While I've never tried running a brushless motor backwards, I would think with a little experimenting one should be able to figure it out assuming the ESC supported reverse rotation.

I'd start with normal rotation & timing. Figure out some way to hold partial throttle, perhaps with lots of trim, and get familiar with the speed & sound of the motor. Perhaps experiment with timing a little to help get the feel for it. Then repeat in reverse mode, adjust timing and try to replicate.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I'm not sure but I don't think 0 is really 0 on that motor. How much timing were you running before? If it was say 30 degrees, then the motor probably has 20 built in and you were really running 50. So for reverse you would need to go like negative 70 degrees.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks guys. I tried some things with mixed results, some erratic. I will be doing some amp draw tests and see where it's at. I will post back when I figure out this issue.