Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Offroad Worlds on astro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default 2015 Offroad Worlds on astro?

It's no secret that Yatabe Arena, hosts of the 2015 1/10th Offroad Worlds, have been running on astro now for some time. Word has it that they would like to run the worlds on astro. This would however require a rule change since the worlds must be run on a 'natural' surface. Of course, there are those who would claim that the 2013 Worlds wasn't 'natural' since it was a sugar track. Astro is a whole different ball game though!

Anyone clued into what is happening? And what would be required to effect a rule change to allow them to run the event on astro?

Would AE & TLR even bother turning up since they have such little experience on synthetic surfaces, relative to the likes of Yokomo, Kyosho, Schumacher and X-Ray?
Old 11-30-2014, 06:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would venture to say TLR would do quite well on AstroTurf. My son used to run the 22 1.0 and we tried everything to find traction in MM, this was before the Maifield set up of 4th hole and 6 pounds of weight. to me the 22 in MM seemed like it was meant for that style of surface. I think the way that the B5m is set up they may have too much rear traction. The RB6, Centro and the more common European brands have the ability to move the weight more forward. Personally I think it's only fair, they have ran on dirt, clay and mixed surfaces, why not all AstroTurf.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

It would certainly require a rule change. Here is the current rule

-----------------
5 TRACK STANDARDS
5.1 SURFACE
Pack able rock free dirt - preferably sifted top soil/clay compound with minimum amounts of sand. Surface should be able to be easily broken and repaired to ensure a consistent and wide racing line. Such conditions have shown to yield excellent racing due to width and consistency of the racing line. Additionally qualifying is fairer as the ability to maintain a consistent surface gives all competitors an equal track that can be enjoyed by those in heats before as well as after his own.

-------------------

Having raced on the Yatabe clay which is underneath the astro they have down I personally hope the rule is not changed and the event is on the clay/dirt. The surface they have is great.

Astro/carpet tracks serve a great purpose in countries where winter prohibits outdoor racing. Being able to rollout a track in a basketball court is a great way to keep racing in those environments. However for a WC for offroad racing the event should be on dirt.

Hopefully IFMAR will make the right decision here, if petitioned for a rule change they should decline it. It really should have been put forward when Yatabe made their proposal to hold the worlds. If they want to run it on astro then that should have been stated up front.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Lets get it straight... its a worlds. Not some club race,

bring in the Dirt.

poor form if its on Astro.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ben73
It really should have been put forward when Yatabe made their proposal to hold the worlds. If they want to run it on astro then that should have been stated up front.
I think this is critical. I suspect their proposal to host the event (that was approved by IFMAR) said nothing about astro.

Whatever happens, IFMAR need to move on this so people know what to expect and can start planning accordingly. I certainly know that some people won't attend if it's on astro.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

that would be a joke if it were true. there's a reason it's called OFF ROAD. if you want to race on carpet or astro go grab a pan car or touring car. or try this if you want a little taste of off road...

Old 11-30-2014, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpGRDIqHlRI

been on dirt before.... im sure it wont be astro.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:29 AM
Tech Master

It will go back to clay.

the astro is on top of the dirt. My guess is they'll probably switch back several months before worlds.

just to be interesting it would be cool to have something like the 91 worlds. Check out youtube for coverage of that race in the loose stuff.

Momo
Old 12-01-2014, 12:47 AM
Tech Master

I learned today that the rule change amendment is already out and the member blocs are presently voting on it! One of the member blocs has already submitted its voted overwhelmingly in favour of astro.

The final vote should be known mid-December, apparently.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

astro makes more sense. you can run several full race days on ONE set of tires with no need for nasty cancer causing chemicals. nothing is more consistent than astro/carpet, either. "dirt" nowadays is just a farce of anything you'd actually find in nature.

how many tires did they burn through in one day last year? how is that good for the hobby?
Old 12-01-2014, 04:50 AM
Tech Adept

This is silly. Dirt is the soul of off-road racing. If IFMAR lets this go through it will mark the beginning of the end of off-road racing. Calling a carpet track with jumps "off-road" is like calling McDonalds "food".
Old 12-01-2014, 04:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sugar track has the same traction on normal tires that turf does on spike tires.

With a control tire, like a Blockade/Impact or Holeshot/Grid Iron, the traction on turf is "normal", and will be consistent through the entire event.

We had some brown turf on the infield of our 1/8th track, that from 20 feet away, you couldn't even tell it was there, so everyone can feel good about running on something that looks like "dirt"

And if they hired skatepark builders to come in and build the jumps and features, instead of this "cardboard leaning on milk crate" looking nonsense you see at EOS, I think a lot of people would change their mind about the surface.

I mean, the 1/8 worlds was run on a cement/dirt/resin mixture... so don't be surprised if this happens.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:30 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by littlevette

Old 12-01-2014, 06:05 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Has to be CLAY no to Astro
Old 12-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Tech Addict

Does the surface truly matter? I mean we are talking about high end toys that at some point in time became competitive. Plus how fair is it to have the European drivers who may drive mainly on astroturf come over here and have to drive on a surface they are not as comfortable with? If they decide to hold it on astroturf then our drivers will have to adjust. Didn't the 2011 worlds run on a track that had blue astro/ carpet jumps? The rc world didn't end after that did it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.