Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Offroad Worlds on astro?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

And isn't the Yatabe Arena owned by Yokomo? And they now have a new 2wd buggy made just for carpet ready to go. It was planned all along. As others have said, it should have been part of the original bid.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Devin
Run your tires on a loose, loamy track, your tires will last just as long if not longer.

If you want a clean car run touring car.

Inconsistency of terrain and traction is a feature of offroad racing, not a downside.

If you enjoy the heck out of it, great. But it is not traditional offroad racing and they went against their own rules to make this happen. I enjoy watching races that match surfaces I race on.
you make some good points. it is nice having the more real/traditional offroad with a dirt track.

thing tho, is you can have inconsistency on an astro layout, but you have to put more than just astro for a surface. masonite is a good example. an all astro track would have similar traction through out the track.

it'll be exciting to see the worlds on turf.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Off road belongs on dirt!! Why is it carpet racing? And shame on the last world's for putting sugar down. Run it on the surface with just adding water or none at all. This arena has dirt, then race on it. Never seen any off road race with real vehicles run on artificial surface.

Whether it's here in the us or anywhere else in the world.
On road is on asphalt or concrete. Correct? So why is off road altering their surface?
Old 12-15-2014, 06:59 PM
Tech Rookie

apparently no one can read in this thread and sees that the ruling says astro turf not carpet, making mountains out of molehills. You all make it sound like they're gonna be racing on crc carpet when its furthest from the truth.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by terry.sc
It now means we have more than just a handful of tracks in Europe that could run the Worlds, the restriction to dirt only has prevented any UK track from hosting a Worlds as it would mean a club would have to replace the track surface for the event, then if it rains you would end up racing in mud. Been there, done that and it's not nice.
1/10 Off-road World's have been held many times in Europe, all on dirt. The 87' event was in Romsey, UK, 89' was in Wales, 93' was in Basildon, UK. It has been held twice in Finland as well. There is plenty of dirt in Europe.

Here's a curve ball, why have it on a permanent track at all? Supercross can drop a track in a stadium and have the floor clean for baseball a week later. Have World's in cities where travel is easy, it can gain exposure and with plenty of lodging. South Africa? Twice!?! REALLY???
Old 12-15-2014, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Davidka
1/10 Off-road World's have been held many times in Europe, all on dirt. The 87' event was in Romsey, UK, 89' was in Wales, 93' was in Basildon, UK. It has been held twice in Finland as well. There is plenty of dirt in Europe.

Here's a curve ball, why have it on a permanent track at all? Supercross can drop a track in a stadium and have the floor clean for baseball a week later. Have World's in cities where travel is easy, it can gain exposure and with plenty of lodging. South Africa? Twice!?! REALLY???
Supercross is owned by nascar and is a spectator sport that makes millions of dollers a race. They can afford to haul in dirt set it up and haul it away. The d10 dozer they use for supercross burns thousends in fuel to move that dirt. Its exspensive and until rc becomes a spectator sport i dont see what your asking happening. Even though i think it would be cool to see a travaling circuit for rc that took place in hockey arenas.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I get that but we're not talking about a stadium, more like a section of a mall parking lot and some rental equipment. It has been done before for events much smaller than world's. It's a way to have it happen in high traffic areas without the long-term commitment to owning/renting high dollar real estate.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I can't think of the last time a big race was "off road" by what it sounds like quite a few define it as. Sugared tracks are not off road, shoot most of the clay tracks around here if you took the jumps out of a gt car could get around. In fact they would have more problem with AstroTurf. We are also running what would have been tc power in our cars now. Can you imagine a 6.5 powered car in Detroit in 91? Everyone seems to want a consistent fair surface. Seems to my like this fits as well as anything. I'd actually like to try it.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

There's an awful lot of tears for no reason other than people wanting something to complain about, good grief.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Yokomo sure is sneaky if it's true that Yatabe applied for a dirty event and converted astro after landing the contract, then having the home team advantage develop a car specifically for that event surface.

So the question is, when do we get an astro track in SoCal? Surely can't be too long until someone builds one considering so much talent and industry in the area.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lagcisco
Yokomo sure is sneaky if it's true that Yatabe applied for a dirty event and converted astro after landing the contract, then having the home team advantage develop a car specifically for that event surface.

So the question is, when do we get an astro track in SoCal? Surely can't be too long until someone builds one considering so much talent and industry in the area.
I'm surprised no one has tried either astro turf or carpet offroad.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

A thing to look at is this. How many of you have raced on tracks where you were rooster-tailing around corners?

The high traction off-road tracks are killing the sport. Opening doors to new options just allows for more opportunity for racers to have a fair advantage. Astro and Carpet are 2 different surfaces. I never raced on astro but from what I have read, no 2 astro surfaces are the same. As far as astro on Yatabe, if you look at the EOS series that the yokomo drivers all race, this is a common track surface they were using to help out the drivers when they are not racing the EOS series.

As for the new car, I agree that release of timing does look bad for them. BUT with most American tracks being high bite the release of this car will help grow sales in our market. Just weeks prior to the release of that car they also came out with a v3 factory and bmax4 factory. These cars are very well suited for nearly all conditions. So to say look at yokomo and releasing a car designed for high bite, is being kind of ridiculous. As if you look at Durango, Yokomo, Team C and a few other competitors there are multiple astro setups as not all the astro surfaces are the same. Feel free to verify with Petit to confirm the differences in astro.

I FEEL that allowing the use of astro will help grow the industry and allow for more tracks to come around and build a stronger community for all of us.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

BLEH
Old 12-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Tech Adept

Ok, so there is no point in continuing to argue about turf vs dirt as its now a changed rule, its done and over with.
The thing now is the usa manufactures going to have to develop new tires an quick. thats one thing that will hurt the usa racers. if pro line, jconcepts, aka ect dont have tires that work then are racers will be at a unfair advantage.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drifter_73
The thing now is the usa manufactures going to have to develop new tires an quick. thats one thing that will hurt the usa racers. if pro line, jconcepts, aka ect dont have tires that work then are racers will be at a unfair advantage.
Ahem... control tires

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.