Wiki Posts
Search

Need help choosing an 1/8 buggy.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

there are so many different ways to choose a buggy

so rather than tell you what to choose, I'll explain my own process

first things first I like to keep my cars for as long as I can, that means I focus on brands that don't come out with a buggy every morning.. the good thing is these are the kits that will loose the less value in case of re-sale

then I make sure parts are available easily, being in LHS or on the internet

then I make sure the car is durable enough to be able to race it without changing parts too often

in the end I usually have to choose between 2/3 cars

at that point I stop being reasonable and choose the car I like the most, just by feeling

I used to choose my cars by feeling first, not caring about parts support, resale value or even wear but I drove less because of this, now I really need to have a reliable car that can be repaired fast and that will keep its value

as a side note I (almost) never buy new, only used but in excellent condition and with spares.. this way I don't loose money on the kit itself between the time I buy and sell

you don't need 1300$ to have a very good car, half this money with well chosen parts is enough to get an awesome configuration in the for sale section

I will give you some orientations, based on the buggies I owned/tried:

sharpest turning: s350 be1, mbx7 eco, xb8e, eb48.2, nexx8....

best suspensions: mp9e, xb9/xb8

most planted/ forgiving: mp9e, mbx6 eco, 3.0e, dnx408 e-converted

best quality: xray, serpent, mugen, sworkz

fastest wear: AE, ofna, Losi (in the past)

Last edited by Pulse_; 11-11-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am a huge fan of the TLR..

Drives amazing...
Part support is spot on..
Forum support is spot on..
Durable as hell...
Tons of set-ups of all conditions..
Old 11-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

Losi out of your list.

that said...I am a fan the Sworkz be1. Amazing buggy at any price, but for less than 400bucks, it a stupid good deal.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Tech Regular

Pulse, spot on with your reasoning.

I did try to contact someone in the buy/sell section about a dex408v2 last week but he never answered the phone so that was it on that....Next.
Being that I not long ago got back into the hobby, I would prefer to buy new just for the kit building experience. Being I'm still getting familiar with builds and the workings or these things I just wanna build one from scratch, enjoy the build n learn the car.
If it's a deal I couldn't pass up, that's a different story. I might have to look around.....but would prefer building a kit from scratch.
If I could save a few bucks on electronics, that would be a plus. I'm either thinking Tekin or Castle....but would be up for advice on motor/esc combo.
Regardless of what car I get, I would basically be running on 4s and would want the maximum power/ motor I could get for a 4s ...maybe 5.
It's not like I'm gonna be navigating around a course where extra power/speed can be a detriment. Me, I want max power.....After all, I'll be "bashing" for the time being....
If I decide to hit a track next season, I can always switch up to something else.

I've been sitting here the last two hours fighting my impulse to call the hobby shop and order an 8e to have by Friday.

.................................................. ....
Yeah, I want a buggy, not a truggy.
Earlier I said I had never driven a race grade 1/8 scale. I meant a buggy specifically.
I have driven my friends 8t and the thing is a beast....But being at least half my riding will be on road, I much prefer the nimbleness of a buggy. I drove my friends rc8 the other day and couldn't believe how well it handled.....So well that I'm gonna spend a bunch of money I shouldn't be spending.
If I was bashing about in a sand pit or some really rough terrain on the regular, I'd go the truggy route.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Tech Champion

@ ctsvls2: +1 the sworkz must be the best bang for the buck but I wonder if a new version is coming out

in nitro there is an evo version and the be1 is based on the bk1 psp I think
Old 11-11-2014, 12:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by NickTheGreek
Pulse, spot on with your reasoning.

I did try to contact someone in the buy/sell section about a dex408v2 last week but he never answered the phone so that was it on that....Next.
Being that I not long ago got back into the hobby, I would prefer to buy new just for the kit building experience. Being I'm still getting familiar with builds and the workings or these things I just wanna build one from scratch, enjoy the build n learn the car.
If it's a deal I couldn't pass up, that's a different story. I might have to look around.....but would prefer building a kit from scratch.
If I could save a few bucks on electronics, that would be a plus. I'm either thinking Tekin or Castle....but would be up for advice on motor/esc combo.
Regardless of what car I get, I would basically be running on 4s and would want the maximum power/ motor I could get for a 4s ...maybe 5.
It's not like I'm gonna be navigating around a course where extra power/speed can be a detriment. Me, I want max power.....After all, I'll be "bashing" for the time being....
If I decide to hit a track next season, I can always switch up to something else.

I've been sitting here the last two hours fighting my impulse to call the hobby shop and order an 8e to have by Friday.

.................................................. ....
Yeah, I want a buggy, not a truggy.
Earlier I said I had never driven a race grade 1/8 scale. I meant a buggy specifically.
I have driven my friends 8t and the thing is a beast....But being at least half my riding will be on road, I much prefer the nimbleness of a buggy. I drove my friends rc8 the other day and couldn't believe how well it handled.....So well that I'm gonna spend a bunch of money I shouldn't be spending.
If I was bashing about in a sand pit or some really rough terrain on the regular, I'd go the truggy route.
If you want max power I would suggest a high voltage setup. Here is why.

The problem with electronics is the amperage because it creates heat (=loss of energy).

With a higher voltage setup you can reduce the number of amps for the same need of power because:

wattage (power) = voltage x amperage

I even run high voltage setup in racing, but it's not allowed in the USA in some events.

If you want a lot of power and run a high kv motor in 4s you will be harder on the elctronics and they could fail in long term. In 5s or 6s you can choose a lower kv motor and be just as fast with more runtime, less heat and safer electronics.

The Losi 3.0E is a very good choice because it's not out since a long time, Losi parts are available everywhere, the kit is really purpose built for electric and the overall quality has been increased since the 2.0. It's an excellent car.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:18 PM
Tech Prophet

I would say ethier the Mugen MBX7R eco or the Tekno buggy. One the Mugen there is parts everywhere at some tracks and online everywhere. The quality is good there is a decent amount of people who have them at the track . Handles good in likes to be driven on throttle at least the Eco 6 does .

Downside is the parts are not the cheapest exactly . The lower Front arms do need to be boiled to get some flex , i don't know if it is a issue with the newer eco but on the eco 6 it likes to chew though wheel bearings with the plastic hubs.

Mugens are better on large tracks that are smooth with fast flowing turns with traction they are fast !

Tekno buggy never really driven one just the 4wd SC but watching them they jump pretty good and have good steering/throw .

Parts are cheaper the chassis platform seems to work better on smaller or larger tracks with tight turns .
Old 11-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Why are you just picking from these 3 buggys? I own all of them and if i could only keep two buggys it would definitely be my Xray xb8e and my Mugen mbx7e
Old 11-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Pulse_
@ ctsvls2: +1 the sworkz must be the best bang for the buck but I wonder if a new version is coming out

in nitro there is an evo version and the be1 is based on the bk1 psp I think
I also wonder if a new buggy is coming out from sworkz, was the only reason I was afraid to buy it. I am impressed with the kit.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RomanCandles
I also wonder if a new buggy is coming out from sworkz, was the only reason I was afraid to buy it. I am impressed with the kit.
I asked this in the nitro thread because amain is selling them under $400. and those guys said its because a new one is coming. So if you want an sworkz wait.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mtpocketsracing
I asked this in the nitro thread because amain is selling them under $400. and those guys said its because a new one is coming. So if you want an sworkz wait.
Already have it.
I hope its just a upgrade and not a whole new design.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by exheliguy
Why are you just picking from these 3 buggys? I own all of them and if i could only keep two buggys it would definitely be my Xray xb8e and my Mugen mbx7e
Why the three.....

The AE, because I like to support Associated.....So they're always gonna be in the mix.

The losi because I hear good things about it, and part support is readily available at the LHS being that they're a horizon distributor....And I got a 22 which I love....The 8e would be like its big brother....
....n it don't look too shaby.

The durango....Because of the way it looks,period.
(Inside and out)
....but they're known for making decent stuff so I would think you're also getting a good car along with the looks. Parts support is another story.

Being that you've had them all, what are you're takes on the three....Pro's n cons??
Old 11-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

If I raced competitively I'd be looking for what I thought would get me around the track quicker.
As it is, I just want something more than my 1/10 2wd buggies and a slash 4x4. That something else being a 1/8 buggy.
Being that they're all good cars, I'm not worried about one lacking in performance because it's not something that I would really notice. They all are good.
So it boils down to a combination of looks, durability and part support....(and brand loyalty with the AE.)
AE n Losi....part support is without peer...
.....and both seem to have great reputations when it comes to durability.
Durango, what it lacks in part support it makes up in looks....Unfortunately, I just don't think it makes up for it enough.
It's just good to hear about those particular cars.
Thanks again for the responses.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Tech Champion

general consensus between the 3 seems to go for the TLR 3.0E

it looks great, quality is much better than the 2.0, it's purpose built, it's (almost) new, plenty of setups and support available.. you can't go wrong

we had the Durango before and liked it for its look/design also but it's not the most versatile car and not the most supported either, the 3.0E is super sleek looking IMO

Old 11-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Tech Champion

You need to also look at the Kyosho, Xray, and Hotbodies cars.

The AE and Durango are obsolete. Ok cars, but if you're starting fresh, try something cutting edge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.