R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Need help choosing an 1/8 buggy..... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/846627-need-help-choosing-1-8-buggy.html)

NickTheGreek 11-10-2014 07:49 PM

Need help choosing an 1/8 buggy.....

I need some opinions mah brothas, in helping me choose a 1/8 buggy....Hoping to get one this week...

It's stictly between 3 cars....
Although performance is ofcourse important, I'm not gonna be racing competitively so I'm not looking for the car that's gonna get me to the winners circle quicker.
I know they're all good cars but I wanna know what seperates them from one another.

Team Durango Dex408v2
Losi 8e 3.0
AE RC8.2e

The one I really wanna get is the dex408v2. Part support is the only reason I'm shying away from it.
The Dex408's appeal to me is basically the styling. It's one of the best looking buggies I've seen,period.
When you really like something aesthetically, it enthuses you.

The Losi 8e....Being I'm an AE kind of guy, it's one of those brand loyalty things where I would rather not (get one) ,although I would.
Basically if you're all about Dodge, it might hurt you to buy a Ford...or visa versa.
That being said, it seems like a general consensus that it's a great buggy.....very durable....n you know the part support is good.
The components look real good, and that shark body has grown on me....At least from the side profile.

Then you got the RC8.2e.....my sentimental favorite.
My friend just got one and built it the other day.
It's pretty much the first race grade 1/8 I've ever driven so I have nothing to compare it to....(that's one of the reasons I need some opinions).
The thing drove awesome......So awesome, that I'm looking to get an 1/8 this week.
I'm just not crazy about the very wide chassis.

I'm leaning towards the 8e ....then the rc8
Part support being the main reason for both of em....
N the Durango, the one I really would like is at the back of my list, cause I'm worried about parts.

My friend that just built his rc8.2e....Earlier tonight the little pin came out of the cva by the front diff n put him out of commission. He can have the part(s)in a couple days....same would be the case for the losi....
First thing that came to my mind was "if that was a Dex408 I could be out of commission for 3 days or 3 months"

Anyway, those are the 3.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

bd581 11-10-2014 07:56 PM

When it comes to those buggies, you won't regret getting a Losi, head and shoulders above the others.

Lowe's48 11-10-2014 09:16 PM

I'm a Losi guy but you're not...If I'm not a Losi guy would get a Tekno Eb 48 !

tate13 11-10-2014 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by NickTheGreek (Post 13650433)
I need some opinions mah brothas, in helping me choose a 1/8 buggy....Hoping to get one this week...

It's stictly between 3 cars....
Although performance is ofcourse important, I'm not gonna be racing competitively so I'm not looking for the car that's gonna get me to the winners circle quicker.
I know they're all good cars but I wanna know what seperates them from one another.

Team Durango Dex408v2
Losi 8e 3.0
AE RC8.2e

The one I really wanna get is the dex408v2. Part support is the only reason I'm shying away from it.
The Dex408's appeal to me is basically the styling. It's one of the best looking buggies I've seen,period.
When you really like something aesthetically, it enthuses you.

The Losi 8e....Being I'm an AE kind of guy, it's one of those brand loyalty things where I would rather not (get one) ,although I would.
Basically if you're all about Dodge, it might hurt you to buy a Ford...or visa versa.
That being said, it seems like a general consensus that it's a great buggy.....very durable....n you know the part support is good.
The components look real good, and that shark body has grown on me....At least from the side profile.

Then you got the RC8.2e.....my sentimental favorite.
My friend just got one and built it the other day.
It's pretty much the first race grade 1/8 I've ever driven so I have nothing to compare it to....(that's one of the reasons I need some opinions).
The thing drove awesome......So awesome, that I'm looking to get an 1/8 this week.
I'm just not crazy about the very wide chassis.

I'm leaning towards the 8e ....then the rc8
Part support being the main reason for both of em....
N the Durango, the one I really would like is at the back of my list, cause I'm worried about parts.

My friend that just built his rc8.2e....Earlier tonight the little pin came out of the cva by the front diff n put him out of commission. He can have the part(s)in a couple days....same would be the case for the losi....
First thing that came to my mind was "if that was a Dex408 I could be out of commission for 3 days or 3 months"

Anyway, those are the 3.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

This shouldn't be to hard to pick out of those
3 cars.. losi by a mile..

I don't like the losi cars but I've seen them at my
Track they are durable and fast it setup correct.

The other 2 cars u mentioned are obsolete.

Imo a chassis that's wider is easier to drive.

Tekno seem to be ok at my Track with its narrow chassis. .

Hot bodies d812 is a good choice. .

BLbound 11-10-2014 11:25 PM

I totally understand the "look" thing...I hated the eb48 just because of the stock body alone! Once other manufacturers made bodies for it I sold my rc8.2 & got an eb48.2 & a Finnisher body. Best descision I ever did! Speaking from a racers view I've seen the losi work awesome, after the parts "wear in"...& I've heard they wear out and get sloppy. If that annoys you than get ready to be annoyed. And they are a little more expensive than the others. The RC8.2e is a good car, just an old design with AE ready to roll out a new 1/8 design soon. It's still competitive & parts should be easy & plentiful to find. I don't know very much about that Durango other than it looks nice. Hopefully Hobbico who owns Durango will make parts support easier by having parts more available soon. Just make sure when your going to spend that much money that you get what you want.

RomanCandles 11-11-2014 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by tate13 (Post 13650707)
This shouldn't be to hard to pick out of those
3 cars.. losi by a mile..

I don't like the losi cars but I've seen them at my
Track they are durable and fast it setup correct.

The other 2 cars u mentioned are obsolete.

Imo a chassis that's wider is easier to drive.

Tekno seem to be ok at my Track with its narrow chassis. .

Hot bodies d812 is a good choice. .

The durango obsolete?

mtpocketsracing 11-11-2014 01:33 AM

Yes the 408 is being replaced soon. Nothing more annoying about this hobby than paying $500 and the car is discontinued a few months later.
http://www.rcnews.net/2014/08/12/tea...new-18-lineup/

Brian C. 11-11-2014 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by mtpocketsracing (Post 13650818)
Yes the 408 is being replaced soon. Nothing more annoying about this hobby than paying $500 and the car is discontinued a few months later.
http://www.rcnews.net/2014/08/12/tea...new-18-lineup/

Yep :lol: all though that's one beneficial thing about buying a Kyosho they won't be making a new car anytime soon!

But of those 3 choices I would go with the 3.0, simply because I believe Durango won't be making cars for much longer, and AE is making a new car...

pilot8127 11-11-2014 05:42 AM

Best buggy . . .. now there's a question

2 Attachment(s)
FWIW, I have THREE DEX408v2's and ONE 408 I love them all . . . . . . :nod:

I only race them, no bashing. Nothing has broke. No DNF's (to date) but, I am new to the game and I do drive conservatively.

I too liked the "look" when I saw them this spring. I have not tried any of the others so I can't comment on them.

I do like the strong, beefy, aggressive "look" of the 408's though !! I guess it was love at first sight . . . . . for me anyway.

Choices, choices, choices . . . .

Brian C. 11-11-2014 05:55 AM

In all reality they are all great cars!

Pulse_ 11-11-2014 06:18 AM

maybe but the rc8.2 and dex408 are old platforms that will be very hard to sell in the future.. so the 3.0e is the only one left

there are other very good options: XB8E (best ebuggy for the price IMO), MBX7R Eco, MP9E, EB48.2...

it all depends on your driving style and what your local tracks look like

NickTheGreek 11-11-2014 08:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the responses......

To make a long story short, last year I got back into the hobby after like 20 years and it just happened to coincide with the re release of the rc10 classic n then worlds car. So I ended up with like 7 rc10's (lol ....I think I lost my mind).
Picked up a Slash 4x4 (first car I bought) to just abuse.....
N I recently bought a tlr 22 2.0 ,brand new off a freind...(love it)

Anyway, the 2 wheel drive buggies are awesome but you're limited as to where you can ride em. (I don't race....but plan on taking my worlds car to the track this weekend to get some practice laps in).
The Slash,it's been out of commission for a few......
Lately I've been collecting some parts for it to rebuild it to like new.
......but by the time I'm done with the metal drive shafts....rpm stuff....uptaded slipper....new shocks...body, wheels....mamba combo etc etc....I'm at over 600 bucks....n that's on a real used n abused car.
After driving my friends rc8....I lost all enthusiasm of putting all that money into the slash.
This is kids stuff (slash)....I need a big boy toy.
So that's how I ended up in this thread.
My pocket...fuggedaboudit....8 rc's and all hopped up in the past year....My pockets cryin',kicking n screaming.
I figure I gotta just cop the 1/8 scale n get the damage (money damage)out of the way ASAP and then start the recovery process...(but I've come to realize,in rc that never happens.The spending never ends)...And also it will help psychologically knowing that after spending thousands I have more to show for it than a bunch of 2 wheel drive buggies and a slash.At least I'll be good to go with an all out machine.

Back to the cars....

As mentioned by others, I know AE n Durango are supposed to be coming out with new cars......Any idea on the time frame??
With Team Durango, who knows where theyre going. I guess that's one of those wait and see things.
From what I recal seeing, their prototype seemed to go away from the sleek look of the dex408 ...
AE, I'm sure they'll put something good out...but that can be a year away for all I know...
Decisions,desicions...
At the hobby shop where I'm cool with the owner, he said he'll get me the rc8.2e factory team for 400 n the 8e 3.0 for $500. They both seem like real good prices from what I've seen. The Team Durango....I'm in my own with that one.All I know is, with a new model around the corner and parts issues I'm not spending the $550 online asking price on it.
For 400 (like I can get the AE for), I'd buy one today.

I'm leaning towards the losi 8e.
N it's funny/ridiculous why.....
The 22 2.0 I bought off my friend, I have an aftermarket body for it that I really like, and it has a lil shark fin...Well, the 8e has a "shark fin" too.
I give em the same paint scheme, it'll be like big n little brother.
(Pic of my 22 below....the 8 would look nice next to it in the same colors)

The lil stupid stuff that can sway you one way or another....

It is a hard decision....cause whatever way I go, it's gonna end up being being somewhere around $1300 initially, which you guys all know.
Thanks again for the replies, n keep em coming.

NickTheGreek 11-11-2014 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by BLbound (Post 13650738)
I totally understand the "look" thing...I hated the eb48 just because of the stock body alone! Once other manufacturers made bodies for it I sold my rc8.2 & got an eb48.2 & a Finnisher body. Best descision I ever did! Speaking from a racers view I've seen the losi work awesome, after the parts "wear in"...& I've heard they wear out and get sloppy. If that annoys you than get ready to be annoyed. And they are a little more expensive than the others. The RC8.2e is a good car, just an old design with AE ready to roll out a new 1/8 design soon. It's still competitive & parts should be easy & plentiful to find. I don't know very much about that Durango other than it looks nice. Hopefully Hobbico who owns Durango will make parts support easier by having parts more available soon. Just make sure when your going to spend that much money that you get what you want.

Yeah bro....the look thing is a big deal.
For example, the 22 I posted a picture of. The main reason I bought it was because of the price...200....and it a came with a brand new Tekin gen2/17.5 motor that I could use on one of my rc10's if I ever decided to hit the track in the future. (And it came it the tekin hot wire new in package, 4 track power 5800mah saddle packs, 2 full sets of tires...new savox 6040 servo etc..etc...It was a steal). Anyway, with the body it had on it I just didn't like it. Only reason I bought it was for one, it was a steal, and two, for the tekin combo.
I didn't even like the thing. Then I came across the FTW Blade body and I went from not likening the car, to spending another 400 on hop ups.Now I love the thing!!....Without a body I liked that would've never happend.
Before I would've probably just bashed it to death. Now, I baby it...lol
In retrospect though, it would've probably been more fun not liking it and abusing the crap out of it rather than falling in love with the thing n cringing every time it flips.
But yeah, when spending that kind of money, it does make the decision hard.

RomanCandles 11-11-2014 09:56 AM

Does the losi still use mix of metric and standard?
I hope my sworkz be1 evo won't be
discontinued, I would also hate that if I bought a car that was to be discontinued later.
I also think wider cars easier to drive.
Maybe do to weight distribution? I'll let the experts chime in.
I hope the new rc8 comes out soon.

Vegetable 11-11-2014 10:56 AM

The rc8.2e may be getting old but it's still a really solid car and parts are so cheap on eBay. Not that you really break much stuff. Anyway if your looking primarily for a bashing car have you considered a truggy over a buggy?? Truggies are so much fun both on and off the track, much more fun to bash about with than a buggy.