Search

Team Durango re-focus on local club racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Team Durango re-focus on local club racing

http://www.redrc.net/2014/11/team-du...ng/#more-88392

Hmmm.... not sure I'm in agreement with this. As a hobbyist, I like to take pride in stating that the car I own is driven by so and so and is winning this and that race. After all, we are racing and we want the bragging rights. i'm very curious as to how Durango believes that they can actually reach more customers by improving their local scene. Sounds good on paper, but I'd like to know how they actually implement it. Otherwise, it just sounds like all talk to me. The proof will be in the pudding...
Old 11-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

It's Hobbico's decision which owns Durango. Hobbico has always believed in the local hobbyist and club level racer. If it's a good decision or bad decision, only time will tell.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think it's a great idea. The one thing they need to improve, which they did mention, is parts availability. It hasn't been all that great. I don't care about "pros" or large race results. They just don't matter. Most cars today are each other's equivalent in performance and the guys that consistently win could do so with any car. Paying people to drive for you is also a big expense. Why do people support one particular vehicle based on a result when that driver is paid to represent it? Especially in a time where drivers leave teams for competitors. How are people not seeing through this? I'd rather see a company spend more time making more individual racers happy rather than one or two paid pro drivers just for the sake of getting a result in a magazine. The product doesn't change either way.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have 2 durango short course trucks, the desc210 and the desc410r2. i love the 210, but i am on the fence with the 410. however, i havent seen any updates on either in a while. i also see tower has basically discontinued most of the durango stuff. i was concerned they were closing, but i am glad to read they are releasing new trucks this year. i just hope they dont lose their quality
Old 11-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Doesn't brother me to be honest who has a race team or who it is. They can win racing any brand doesn't relate to me though lol. Odds are it had to do with money which 90% of the time is of why they drop there race team.

I just buy for support and quality and a good some people who run them at the track for setup.

I think its a good idea to focus on us club racing local guys as long as the quality is the same or better and more people running the brand and more support at different stores i think its fine.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

What does "focusing on the club racer" even mean? Is any club racer going to discounts on parts, kits? Just having essential parts for your vehicles, isn't focusing on anything....

This smells like a cost-cutting measure, pure and simple.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I think it's a bad thing. In theory it sounds great but the devil is in the details. Grass roots is great and all but how are they going to convince local fast guys to use it?

Maybe give out something like 80% sponsorship to select individuals? If they can't get local fast guys to use it, how can a track/shop justify stocking parts? While I do believe that too much emphasis is placed on big event race results, how will we know which improvements are worthwhile? How will performance improvements be made?

I really hope it works. I was TD all the way. 2 DEX210's/2 DESC210's/DEX410/2 DEST210's. I'm just down to the ST's now and the only reason I have them is they won't sell at all. I feel like TD gave up on the trucks. The DESC210v2 was rumored over a year ago. The setup sheet even showed an aluminum option. I just couldn't stick around with movement that slow. Even with the DEX210v2 announcement, it took forever. Maybe it'll be faster since they've got more $.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:04 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by shagino
I think it's a bad thing. In theory it sounds great but the devil is in the details. Grass roots is great and all but how are they going to convince local fast guys to use it?

Maybe give out something like 80% sponsorship to select individuals? If they can't get local fast guys to use it, how can a track/shop justify stocking parts? While I do believe that too much emphasis is placed on big event race results, how will we know which improvements are worthwhile? How will performance improvements be made?

I really hope it works. I was TD all the way. 2 DEX210's/2 DESC210's/DEX410/2 DEST210's. I'm just down to the ST's now and the only reason I have them is they won't sell at all. I feel like TD gave up on the trucks. The DESC210v2 was rumored over a year ago. The setup sheet even showed an aluminum option. I just couldn't stick around with movement that slow. Even with the DEX210v2 announcement, it took forever. Maybe it'll be faster since they've got more $.

Odds are they will do the same thing Tekno does and do a driver program for discounts and reporting there racing results every mouth or two . which have some fast guys and drivers who are not that good at a local racer level.

Yea without worrying about a race team maybe the models with the updates and parts will come out much sooner.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Bad for business, WHAT WINS ON SUNDAY, SELLS ON MONDAY. It sounds like a stupid cliche but its the truth like it or not. We can all sit here and say BIG race results dont matter and blah blah... but we all wanna race a car that has proven its not a total pile of junk and that has good parts support. The only way you get good parts support is if lots of people run the cars, no shop is gonna stock a full line for 1 guy...unless he breaks alot of stuff lol. I think you need some upper echelon drivers so that the local guys have a pro they can walk up to and ask questions at their local big events. I hope it works for them but I dont see it being a successful marketing strategy!
Old 11-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Tech Prophet

Well I don't anybody who says that the Durango cars have not been proven to preform at local tracks. Tell you the truth i wouldn't ask pro drivers what they are doing exactly to make one thing handle better than the other . Why because what they like there truck or buggy to handle and drive like might be to aggressive and undrivable .

I know more than a few drivers at a local club level that the Pro driver setup is to aggressive for them so they tune on there own of how like it to drive and jump.

The only people that will buy into getting this brand over a other because a Pro driver wins is new comers and guilble people lol.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

It sounds like they are trying to reduce their overhead by eliminating the pro team. It also sounds like they are trying to bypass the dealers by going direct to the consumer. I would imagine it is because of lack of support from the stores. They need at least 100 dealers on board and buying stuff in order to make it and I bet that number is significantly less. Going direct and offering "support" or "sponsorship" will increase their bottom line and help hide the lack of parts availability across the US. Just order from the factory/distributor and it simplifies a lot of things, but at the end of the day, it will be a fail because most people who want to be on a team do not do what it takes to do it effectively. nothing worse than breaking a small part without a backup and without a hobby store with it in stock whether it is club night or a major event.

Should be a fun year to see who survives. The market is hugely over saturated and the audience in most areas is getting smaller unfortunately.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I didnt mean questions like, "hey peanut, whats your setup I wanna go fast like you". I mean like on this shicane when im exiting my car wants to step-out when on power trying to setup for the double, what can I do to make this better? These are two very different questions and cars can have certain tweaks that may make them better. TD like it or not does NOT have a huge TLR or AE like following no matter where you go. One of my best friends drives for them, they make a good car. I'm just saying that in this Niche market it's probably not the best idea.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Isnt that the samething Tekno does that Durango might do maybe ? They have most guys that i know of who are local drivers for them around the states . Is there part support good at the tracks that have stores hum kind of the samething some have the parts some don't in stock .

Thing i noticed in the past years is that if its a brand that a lot of people run the quality is not the same as one that some have at a local track ?

Although Teknos are a tank as far as toughness.

I know i put my Durango Dex210V2 though a test to see if its strong boy it is on the track !

I used to do the il just run what everybody else runs but to me it got old and wanted to try a better quality brand with some decent parts support online and some stores that have offroad tracks.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Odds are they will do the same thing Tekno does and do a driver program for discounts and reporting there racing results every mouth or two . which have some fast guys and drivers who are not that good at a local racer level.

Yea without worrying about a race team maybe the models with the updates and parts will come out much sooner.
I doubt the updates and such will come any faster or be nearly as creative due to not having a "pro" testing these ideas and telling the engineers just what their looking for. Bottom line, they're already behind the ball on parts support and availability. Bad move IMO.

I'd think trying to step up parts support, reliability and keeping their team together would be more beneficial for them.

I totally agree with you on the view of more "small local" type partial sponsorships, that would definitely increase their exposure locally around the world.

My $0.02
Old 11-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Errokk
I doubt the updates and such will come any faster or be nearly as creative due to not having a "pro" testing these ideas and telling the engineers just what their looking for. Bottom line, they're already behind the ball on parts support and availability. Bad move IMO.

I'd think trying to step up parts support, reliability and keeping their team together would be more beneficial for them.

I totally agree with you on the view of more "small local" type partial sponsorships, that would definitely increase their exposure locally around the world.

My $0.02

Yea inless they have a former driver for them that works for them in house newer updated models could come quicker.

For sure on stepping up on the parts support would help . Although im fine with Amain , Tower carrying the parts but more would be better ! But i know i have not broke a thing on the Dex210 V2 pretty strong buggy for a 1/10 scale.

Not sure what could be updated on that buggy anyways accept a lower Rear tower even easier access to the transmission .

There is one track that i go to for there outdoor track and carpet indoor they carry Durango parts for the 1/10 scale buggy and 1/8 buggy . And two guys who are on a driver program .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.