Indoor Clay Tires Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Indoor Clay Tires Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 05:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

The main tire that is being pushed at the 1/10 buggy track here (Champ Stadium in Sagamihara) is the Panther Switch 2.0 with PL closed cell foams. They work great on my RB6 as long as the track is still somewhat damp but as soon as the track starts drying up then they get really loose. I have run a set for about 5 or 6 practice days and they still have a lot of tread left on them. A couple guys run them on their SC6s as well but they go through them quicker due to the extra weight. The shop also carries the AKA Evo Deja Vu tires but I haven't tried them out yet. All the racers say that the Panthers are better than the AKAs on the track so I just went with them. I want to try some different setups so this thread will be very useful when picking the next set of shoes.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Tech Champion

yeah I've the same problem on our local track

when it's damp the aka handlebar clay work great but as soon as it dries the buggy is all over the place

really looking forward a grippy tire for slippery hardpacked tracks with little dust on top

I'm running a light setup on my MP9E so maybe it doesn't help
Old 12-08-2014, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_
yeah I've the same problem on our local track

when it's damp the aka handlebar clay work great but as soon as it dries the buggy is all over the place

really looking forward a grippy tire for slippery hardpacked tracks with little dust on top

I'm running a light setup on my MP9E so maybe it doesn't help
Typos?

in my 22-4 I am really digging Typos up front, with Chain links in the rear when the track dries up a bit. Maybe not in 8th scale, just throwing out what works for me in wheeler class.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run panther rattlers in clay compound currently on both my 1/8 scale buggy and 2wd and soon to be 4wd short course trucks. They hook well up until the track gets dried out which at that point they lose some grip but overall do well without saucing tires
Old 02-25-2015, 09:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've been running ions on my 1/10 2wd on the clay track I run on. They slide around when the track is wet, but when it dries out a little bit, they really hook up nicely.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrfatride
I run panther rattlers in clay compound currently on both my 1/8 scale buggy and 2wd and soon to be 4wd short course trucks. They hook well up until the track gets dried out which at that point they lose some grip but overall do well without saucing tires
Are you running at the rc clubhouse in warren?
Old 02-25-2015, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

It probably too difficult to gauge, but....

"IN THEORY" (Given track conditions do change, and watering etc and continual wear by cars also racing on the track)

Do people find changing from one tire to another between rounds maintains the traction consistency? All things being equal, you have different pattern tires with different inserts, or even the same inserts...

Has anyone done a back to back test of lets say a

Gold BC with AKA red
vs
Gold BC with DT
vs
GOLD BC with Open Cell
vs
Gold BC with PL Blue insert

Obviously there are TONS of variable and I don't know that one could find a fair comparison. Realistically, the environment couldn't change and it seems to me the testing would need to be in a sort of Vacuum to get the kind of results you need.

Its no wonder people go poor with various tires and types and compounds.

I did appreciate the feedback by Teufel and his reporting.

In all honesty, for me, our Primary indoor track is carpet and in many respects the "Tire war" is over. There are no Pin style tires allowed and ONLY SC are allowed foam tires. Most everyone runs a variation of a slick tire and we use a controlled sauce. It does make it nice only having a couple of tires in my box depending on the layout and how much traction is laid down. I don't go thru nearly the tire wear, as when we raced on dirt. Folks still run on clay and depending on how abrasive the track gets, as Zak pointed out, I have seen people kill a pair of tires in a Club race in 1 night of racing.

MOmo
Old 02-25-2015, 12:47 PM
Tech Adept

The electrons seems to grab the clay very well on a 4wd, but going to try the bar codes next. Been told they are still doing very well for the pro's on clay
Old 02-26-2015, 06:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_
back for a few feedbacks

I'm running aka handlebar tires in clay compound based on a famous local driver advice but I don't like them at all (lack of precision and bite) for the conditions we have now which are:
- hard packed with a few bumps starting to form but overall the surface is still smooth
- dust on top (track is watered once a week)
- slippery

I tried some city blocks in super soft just for fun and it was a night and day difference... in a good way! they did great in these conditions

IMO the best tires suited for this track would be a tread with multidirectional and low profiled pins in super soft compound.. any suggestion?

do you use particular tire inserts indoors or sauce or anything special?
If the track is only getting watered once a week it likely will not have enough moisture for clay compound tires to work well.

Depending on the amount of dust I would be looking at a tire with a little more pin in supersoft compound. Gridirons, possibly Impacts. Handlebars will likely work as well but I'd be running SS not clay compound. When the new Chainlink tire gets released that will probably be your best bet in AKA rubber.

Track looks awesome!
Old 02-26-2015, 07:11 AM
Tech Prophet

Might seem odd but the Panther switch tires well broken in with wear work good on a hard packed mixed clay surface . If it stays moist and somewhat dry they still work good .

On hard packed pure clay that is not real wet smoother low treaded tires work better.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MOmo
It probably too difficult to gauge, but....

"IN THEORY" (Given track conditions do change, and watering etc and continual wear by cars also racing on the track)

Do people find changing from one tire to another between rounds maintains the traction consistency? All things being equal, you have different pattern tires with different inserts, or even the same inserts...

Has anyone done a back to back test of lets say a

Gold BC with AKA red
vs
Gold BC with DT
vs
GOLD BC with Open Cell
vs
Gold BC with PL Blue insert

Obviously there are TONS of variable and I don't know that one could find a fair comparison. Realistically, the environment couldn't change and it seems to me the testing would need to be in a sort of Vacuum to get the kind of results you need.

Its no wonder people go poor with various tires and types and compounds.

I did appreciate the feedback by Teufel and his reporting.

In all honesty, for me, our Primary indoor track is carpet and in many respects the "Tire war" is over. There are no Pin style tires allowed and ONLY SC are allowed foam tires. Most everyone runs a variation of a slick tire and we use a controlled sauce. It does make it nice only having a couple of tires in my box depending on the layout and how much traction is laid down. I don't go thru nearly the tire wear, as when we raced on dirt. Folks still run on clay and depending on how abrasive the track gets, as Zak pointed out, I have seen people kill a pair of tires in a Club race in 1 night of racing.

MOmo
I sort of did this, only it was with Dirt webs and I only tried Aka and the JC Dirt tech inserts. I HATED the dirt tech. It was way too firm. Maybe it would be good after a lot of break in time, but I put like 6-7 packs on it and it never got better so I cut them out and put aka reds in. The reds brand new were still better than the slightly broken in dirt techs.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
Based on the above list:

I have used:
Barcodes (V1 rears)
Suburbs
Scrubs (fronts)
Suburb (fronts)
Typos
Deja Vu
Pinstripe
Electrons
Transistors
Dirt Webs (barrowed a set to run this past Friday)
In all the corresponding clay
how did the dirtwebs fair? Have you tried chainlinks as well?
Old 05-24-2015, 12:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kings Kid
how did the dirtwebs fair? Have you tried chainlinks as well?
Dirt webs seem to be a favorite chioce at the local track.
I've ran them a bit and they do work well, rears seem to me to work Better than the fronts for me. They do,need to be broke in, but doesn't seem to take as long as the Bar Codes did or needed.

Chainlinks?
I've ran them too. For my local track, they aren't real good until about half the tread height is gone, then they're pretty good. Can't say for sure if they are better than other options, but they are a solid choice. I think it's a preference thing. I'll probably end up getting a fresh set and try them again and see if I can find a setup that likes them more.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:17 PM
Tech Rookie

At my local track, OCRC, the preferred tire would be the JC Dirt Webs, or the JC Bar Codes. I race a tlr 22 mid motor with a 7.5 turn sensored motor, and the best tire for me right now is the dirt web. I have them worn down a lot, and they seem to be really good when the track comes in. The dirt webs are really good at most tracks i have gone to, and for me they wear fairly good. I had been running bar codes before using dirt webs, and when they had worn down, they lost all traction, and my car would just spin. When the track is a stickier clay, you can use a slick on both the front and rear of the car. Also, I have ran JC new smoothies at big races like Surf City Classic. They are really good when there are a lot of people racing, especially when top pros are also racing because everybody takes the same line, which gets a blue groove in the track. My favorite tire at the moment is probably the smoothies, but the most consistant tires i run are the dirt webs because i can run my most consistant laps with rhem, and they hqve good side bite and drive out of corners.

Hope this helps anybody that needed help with tire suggestions for an indoor clay track.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Has anyone had any experience running JC Pressure Points in 4WD Buggy on an indoor clay, semi-damp, slick / dusty track? If so, what front tires did you use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.