Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Sad story:  Cheating rampant at big races... >

Sad story: Cheating rampant at big races...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sad story: Cheating rampant at big races...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just recently left stock for mod classes. Rampant cheating, hacking, and LOTS of butthurt. I qualified in the A at Spektrum even after showing up 2 days late and having no practice. I got peeled 3 times on the 1st lap and still got 7th. I was 3 grams over with a full stick pack, yet almost everyone had shorties.
CRCRC I qualified in the A, and it looked like a demolition derby. I got hacked so hard i ended up on pit lane. Again, underweight cars. Again, over charged batteries. 8.65 volts.
I also have a fast friend who told me to put the mod rotor in the D3.5 because it was faster, and its what he runs. This is the most anal and technically proficient racer at the track. He mics everything and will quote specs. Yet when he was asked to tech he refused and was banned from stock for a while. Just like OJ, we cant prove it but we all knew.
Stock has mutated into a no holds barred, no expense spared, hackfest where the "rules" only matter if you get caught. Its so rampant that most dont even realize they're cheating because its just what everyone else is doing, and some have stated to me "Its stock, everyone is cheating somehow" and "If you ain't cheatin, you ain't winnin". Ive even been told how to remove a wind from your motor "to make it a 16.5". And even "zapping rotors" to make them stronger.
Im one of THEE fast guys in stock, and im done with it.

Last edited by Cptn Cartwheel; 07-23-2014 at 08:04 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-23-2014, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JFuel11
My personal opinion on the stock/spec racing is the class in general is too fast and too costly. We need to do something to help the cost and cheating issues...

Proposed:
Move from 17.5 Turn motor to 21.5 turn motor to slow the class down
Move from exotic motors to stamped metal can with stator epoxied in place
Move from range of rotor sizes to a standard size not to exceed 1400 Rating
Motor have to have specific color of wire, stator, sensor board and rotor for easy identification
Motor have to have locked timing and device and sensor board that does not allow timing advance via esc.
Motor should have MSRP Cost of no more than $49.95 or less.
Large races will be a hand out motor

Back in the day of stock racing it was exciting to show up and see what the hand out motor was going to be for spec/stock class. You had to then figure it out that day of racing or weekend.

This does not fix all the problem but this would be a good place to start.

Just some suggestions
This is good but too hard to implement at tracks without ROAR/Ifmar backing. Manufacturers have to want to do this.

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
Classes should be Rookie/Novice, Sportsman, Expert, and maybe Pro. I know guys with motor sponsors who get "special" motors. It is ridiculous. Another approach is to have everybody qualify for classes. People are going to cheat no matter what you do. So either they're going to motor up or sandbag.
This is WAY better. I would love to see a track do this!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:10 AM
Tech Legend

Sad watching some beginner that can't drive try mod when their not even good enough to win stock.

They quickly learn its no fun just pulling over.

They need to learn to drive better in stock and get some skills.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:16 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Since when did chassis sponsored drivers run stock buggy? Must just be a west coast thing as fast guys in the midwest DO NOT race stock.(not saying stock doesn't have some fast guys cuz they do, just sayin)
Old 07-23-2014, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default I agree

Originally Posted by shagino
This is good but too hard to implement at tracks without ROAR/Ifmar backing. Manufacturers have to want to do this.

This is WAY better. I would love to see a track do this!
You are correct that it would take the Manufacturers in conjunction with the sanction bodies to implement this. It is no different than what stock/spec went through years back in the brushed motor days in order to create a more equal standard. As stated before... It helped a lot but we were still always on the search for every edge rather it was a high voltage battery or lighter weight drive line.

My local club track went the route I like best... No Stock/Spec class. They did this after the whole advance timing issue a few years ago and never looked back.

We have a Rookie Class and a Open Class. You can race both if you want and all classes are open on motor limits. The track is smaller to medium indoor. A solid 17.5 setup can finish well in the A-Main on a club night but most run 10.5s to 8.5s in 2wd classes. This has worked out the best!

The key thing to do is to held the guys in the Rookie class slow down and get set up. I have watch this work well as many guys start out in Rookie for a few weeks to a half season at some point they start running both classes to cut their teeth in the open class and then move on to the open class full time. Our race director keeps tabs on the guys running the Rookie classes and will strongly encourage someone to move out of the class when the have been winning consistently or we can see that their lap times and runs are competitive for the open class.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gticlay
The current world champion races stock class. I bet he doesn't cheat.

http://www.teamassociated.com/news/r...ith_LRP_Power/
Sorry but the point you are trying to make dose not work with this link as that is a Stock only race put on by OCRC which is his home track and they had a class for the faster guys. Sportsman and Expert.

Not really and apples for apples deal with that.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

I looked at the entry form for this race and other than the guys running 13.5 stators, I am not sure how the others were cheating. Am I missing something? Was something said at the drivers meeting about motors have to be ROAR legal and approved?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carranza76
Sorry but the point you are trying to make dose not work with this link as that is a Stock only race put on by OCRC which is his home track and they had a class for the faster guys. Sportsman and Expert.

Not really and apples for apples deal with that.
Plus he wanted to keep his title from 2013. The point I am making is that lots of sponsored racers race stock. Nothing wrong with that. Unless they get some sort of special motor... which is why I think handout motors and batteries might be a good idea for ROAR at their big races.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gticlay
The current world champion races stock class. I bet he doesn't cheat.

http://www.teamassociated.com/news/r...ith_LRP_Power/
I am pretty sure that most of the fast guys at that track run modified rotors and this race is no exception. Why not, nothing in the rules that says you can't. from the entry from:

"All Classes are 17.5 motor with no timing and no boost"

I see nothing about ROAR rules or approvals.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Sad watching some beginner that can't drive try mod when their not even good enough to win stock.

They quickly learn its no fun just pulling over.

They need to learn to drive better in stock and get some skills.
Most novice classes I have seen allow 13.5. Why? because that rtr crap is about 13.5 and you cant ban rtr from novice, because that is stupid. My kid is getting better, but not quite there. She runs a 13.5, because she cant carry enough speed to make the local jumps with a 17.5, so she rolls the jumps on 95% of the track. With the 13.5, she has enough yank to get over them. Once she gets bumped from novice, I am unsure what to do. She is 9 and can keep her car on 4 wheels and between the pipes, but she is pretty conservative on the trigger. She literally gets run over in practice. If i put a 17.5 back in her car, she will just regress and stop jumping, thus she wont improve. But the mod class seems like a bit much for her. Hopefully, the mod guys would be able to avoid her and not punt her into the walls. We have been doing resorts, so in the end it might end up being ok. I want to be able to give her the power she needs without dropping $300 into her can and charging her packs at 40/40 cycles. So when the boot her from novice.... You might see her in mod....depending on the layout.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I am pretty sure that most of the fast guys at that track run modified rotors and this race is no exception. Why not, nothing in the rules that says you can't. from the entry from:

"All Classes are 17.5 motor with no timing and no boost"

I see nothing about ROAR rules or approvals.
I have to admit that I don't know what that means - there are special ROAR stock rotors that are different from a modified rotor? Anyway, my point was that the guy beat everyone with skill, not a 16.5 turn or something.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:37 AM
Tech Legend

This is how the powers at be are going to change stock..

Go to 21.5..

Then everyone can begin all over finding the cheater motors, expensive battery's & light weight parts.

Have fun with that...LoL
Old 07-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
This is how the powers at be are going to change stock..

Go to 21.5..

Then everyone can begin all over finding the cheater motors, expensive battery's & light weight parts.

Have fun with that...LoL
With 21.5 people could still cheat, but in general it won't be as fun when they can barely clear doubles.

Classes should be super slow...21.5 or 25.5 and Open Class. So if people are cheating still just to win a 21.5/25.5 it will be the slowest most boring race for a seasoned racer LOL
Old 07-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

locally, 17.5 SC is terrible to watch. at the 6 minute mark of the 10 minute main, they are all rolling the jumps. I could only imagine 25 turn SC, lol. Many of the locals are going to mod sc for club racing.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Tech Legend

Nexus

17.5 is as fast as mod, spec motor speeds have grown way to fast for beginners.

The community has to make sure beginners are having more fun then any other racer.

Or ?

Suffer...

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 07-23-2014 at 09:05 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.