Search
Like Tree13Likes

Team Associated B44.3 Factory Team Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DG Designs
Aren't those the ones that go inside the diff? They go behind the small gear on the shaft 12 total. The silver ones look like they go one the output shaft (big gear)
no they are about 13 mm outer diameter 5mm inner diameter
Old 10-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by underway
Those look like planetary gear shims. On the inside of the diff they go on the cross pins after the 4 planetary gears. If there are 12 then thats what they are...
They were too large for what you are saying. There were some smaller one's for the planet gears in the diff case.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lazygreek
Well, I got the bearings to go down all the way, took the edge of my table and some spinach to nudge them down. Those little eclips were tough also, but instead of a flat screw driver, I used a really fine(small tipped) needle nose plyer to get them on. First one snapped in half (luckily I had extra)

Im still confused about the extra shims though. I will be calling AE monday for more information.
The big silver shims go under the sun gears, smaller black ones go on the outdrive shaft and the smaller silver ones go on the planet gears. The manual is wrong on the shaft ones. And yes the bearings are tight over the shims. You can put them on before or force them over.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by loosenut
Lol you'd think that AE would improve on their instructions - but apparently not...

G
Originally Posted by DG Designs
Aren't those the ones that go inside the diff? They go behind the small gear on the shaft 12 total. The silver ones look like they go one the output shaft (big gear)
Originally Posted by Lazygreek
Well, I got the bearings to go down all the way, took the edge of my table and some spinach to nudge them down. Those little eclips were tough also, but instead of a flat screw driver, I used a really fine(small tipped) needle nose plyer to get them on. First one snapped in half (luckily I had extra)

Im still confused about the extra shims though. I will be calling AE monday for more information.
The larger shims were not supposed to be in the kit, they are incorrect. However, since they were in a bag within a bag it is much more labor to remove them than to just add the smaller shims into the bag and go ahead and leave the other shims (since they are technically usable inside the diff if you wanted), but the smaller shims are the correct ones to use. Sorry for any confusion.

The manual still depicts the correct small shim, and as the manual says not all shims may be need to get desired diff feel. Some diffs build perfect with all four shims per side (two inside and two outside), while some may only take 3 on one side or the other. It was designed with this in mind, because of the tolerance stack up between all of the components, the extra shims give you better range of adjustment.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by patiofurniture
The larger shims were not supposed to be in the kit, they are incorrect. However, since they were in a bag within a bag it is much more labor to remove them than to just add the smaller shims into the bag and go ahead and leave the other shims (since they are technically usable inside the diff if you wanted), but the smaller shims are the correct ones to use. Sorry for any confusion.

The manual still depicts the correct small shim, and as the manual says not all shims may be need to get desired diff feel. Some diffs build perfect with all four shims per side (two inside and two outside), while some may only take 3 on one side or the other. It was designed with this in mind, because of the tolerance stack up between all of the components, the extra shims give you better range of adjustment.
Thank you for the info!!!!!! My brain was getting tired last night trying to figure out where those shims went. I really appreciate the help you provide on the forum.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Well I completed my build today. Even recorded a time lapse of it. I love this rig. I cannot wait to get out and race it.!!!!
Old 10-12-2014, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There were a couple of .3's running at SmacTrac last night with some mixed reviews. The cars were getting close by the end of the night in the shorty pack config, but finding the right ball diff/gear diff combo was still up in the air.
One problem that we found was that it appears that the gear diff outdrives are a bit wider, so during a hard crooked landing, one of the cars had an out drive break when the suspension flexed or compressed too far and allowed the cva bone to hit it.
In another case, the internal gears stripped in a center diff. It is unclear whether or not it was shimmed correctly.
I am pretty sure, however, that it was built following the instructions.
I did also hear complaints about the difficulty of the installation of the E clip on the diff pinion gears.

On the brighter side, the car appears to have a ton of potential with so many optional configurations.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Tech Initiate

yes the eclip for the pinion was brutal mine got mangled but i was able to flatten them and get them to fit tightly.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Definitely just go ahead and install the outdrive bearings while building the diffs rather than having to hammer them down afterward.

This screen grab from the manual shows the part where you should slip the bearings on before the gear and/or case.
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated B44.3 Factory Team Thread-44.3_diff.jpg  
Old 10-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by smac
There were a couple of .3's running at SmacTrac last night with some mixed reviews. The cars were getting close by the end of the night in the shorty pack config, but finding the right ball diff/gear diff combo was still up in the air.
One problem that we found was that it appears that the gear diff outdrives are a bit wider, so during a hard crooked landing, one of the cars had an out drive break when the suspension flexed or compressed too far and allowed the cva bone to hit it.
In another case, the internal gears stripped in a center diff. It is unclear whether or not it was shimmed correctly.
I am pretty sure, however, that it was built following the instructions.
I did also hear complaints about the difficulty of the installation of the E clip on the diff pinion gears.

On the brighter side, the car appears to have a ton of potential with so many optional configurations.
I had no idea so many problems were happening is that why Chris ran an xray in the main? Are you thinking about losing the losi and going ae?
Old 10-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Did anyone else have trouble getting the drive pins to fit into the rear axles?

I mean, I got them in there (with much difficulty) and bolted it up with zero binding. But I can imagine that will be a royal PITA to take out when doing maintenance.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Angry B44.3 build

I just got done building the diffs on my B44.3. yes the shims are hard to understand in the manual but with trial and error I think I figured it out. the E clip was the biggest pain to install on the shaft, come on AE why just not have a threaded hole for a screw at the end with a small washer?
And if it was too hard to remove the wrong shims why not just add a note in the box showing or stating which shims were wrong?
Old 10-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bedwell1
I had no idea so many problems were happening is that why Chris ran an xray in the main? Are you thinking about losing the losi and going ae?
I will most likely be switching away from the 22-4 because the drive train is too difficult to work on during a raceday while I am trying to run the program.
I have not decided which 4wd to get yet, tho.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by smac
I will most likely be switching away from the 22-4 because the drive train is too difficult to work on during a raceday while I am trying to run the program.
I have not decided which 4wd to get yet, tho.
I've been nothing but pleased with my choice. No maintenance, broken parts just setup changes. But getting 1 now could be a problem. I was just reading this thread to see if I had made the right decision. Probably can't go wrong with any of the gear diff cars anyway.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:33 AM
DLF
Tech Adept

Have any of you guys tried installing a savox servo? Even without shims, the bellcrank strikes the face of the servo. Don't think I built anything wrong, but wanted to see if this was a known issue with this servo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.