Wiki Posts
Search

Maifield confirmed to leave AE

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 05:43 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billjacobs
Does it really matter who signs with who? Does the weekend warrior really think that driving the car that won the big race will make them faster or better?

What always wins big races is driving skill (going fast, but not reckless,) and staying out of wrecks (not losing time.) You can do both of those things with any of the top cars. There might be a slight difference in the going fast component, but tires make up most of the difference, since they account for 90% (IMO) of the grip anyway. If you look at the lap times between the top cars at your local track driven by similar level drivers, they should be very similar, no matter which car is raced.

Just like any other sponsored activity (sports, hobbies, etc,) the top drivers will go where the money and benefits are. In a hobby where racers have a shelf life, they should get the most they can in the shortest time.

In my opinion, the reason why racer salaries and bonuses are not public is because of how low they are. R/C in general is a very small hobby. Races are not televised to the general public, and all of the sponsors are in the r/c industry (parts, batteries, etc.) I also don't know how many racing kits are sold each year, but I would think the total is probably in the mid 5 figure range (across all of the chassis.) That doesn't leave a lot of money for sponsorships, etc.

Racers might race for the glory of winning (to a very small audience,) but they don't do it because of the large rewards.
Did the guy the runs reedy just come on here and say they can make 100k?
Old 07-01-2014, 07:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JRapid
What makes you say that?
OK i will explain. No wildcat he did not sleep with my woman. I have been racing RC since 1985 i am 52 some of you on this forum might not understand what it was about in the old days and how sponsored racers treated us regular racers.I have made the A main with the fast guys, Drake,Roberts,Saxton,Pavidis, and others and i have had a lot of fun in this hobby and have made many friends over the years, i still race. I have a 10 year old grandson who has taken interest in RC Racing and i must say he is very good and a good sportsman. I told him that the pro's were in town for the midwest champs he asked if he could go to meet them i said sure, so he talked to Tebo and JP and Pavidis but when he went to talk to the Ryans they just looked at him and turned there head like he was not even standing there. Every since then i wont touch a AE car so just because he goes to another brand doesn't matter it's the person. This hobby needs young people to keep it going so lets make it fun for them too. Yes he is a great driver and i'm sure he will do well where ever he goes.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:11 AM
Tech Prophet

Well, that is a shame. I have run AE since 86' and will continue to run their platforms, but I do not condone that crap from sponsored drivers. But, even with my own kids, I can get tied up during a race day. They walk up and try to ask me something, but I am doing 5 things at once trying to get ready for a race and blow them off. I have no idea what the Ryan's were doing at the time, but it sucks that they blew off the little guy. When that crap happens, I just contact their team manager. If enough people complain, I would hope the company would at least have a talk with them. My kids complain to my team manager (wife) when I blow them off, lol. I will say, that even though I prefer AE, I have found that the TLR guys I have come across have been very helpful. This might be a regional thing, but my impressions of TLR has been pretty good.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default money in rc

The **possibility** of making 100k a year for a handful of guys, for a limited time (5-8 years since you don't start at 100k, but much less,) without any benefits (since you are an independent contractor,) is a far cry from the "big time." Don't forget to also add in the pressure in knowing that your income depends on you continuing to win or do well (things that are frequently out of your control because of wrecks, traffic, etc.)

In the IT field, with a decent degree, almost any job can earn 60-80k + all of the benefits (which comes out to more than 100K a year.)

Like all weekend racers, I admire the skill it takes to race at the highest level, but unlike any of the major sports, and some minor ones, there is not big money in RC, and I see it for what it is to me, a fun hobby.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

There used to be a youtube video that had the Drake, Maifield, and Cavalieri and how much they've made racing RC cars. They all are millionares! Wish I could find it!
Old 07-01-2014, 07:30 AM
Tech Prophet

The **possibility** of making 100k a year for a handful of guys, for a limited time (5-8 years since you don't start at 100k, but much less,) without any benefits (since you are an independent contractor,) is a far cry from the "big time." Don't forget to also add in the pressure in knowing that your income depends on you continuing to win or do well (things that are frequently out of your control because of wrecks, traffic, etc.)

In the IT field, with a decent degree, almost any job can earn 60-80k + all of the benefits (which comes out to more than 100K a year.)

Like all weekend racers, I admire the skill it takes to race at the highest level, but unlike any of the major sports, and some minor ones, there is not big money in RC, and I see it for what it is to me, a fun hobby.
Oh, I agree. But "big" money, means different things to different people. I work in IT and know what we make, lol. I personally would rather be a weekend warrior than a full ride driver for RC. Longer term and higher earning potential. I work for a little company called General Motors. Maybe I should get GM stickers and put them on my cars since they sponsor my cars, house, cloths and etc, lol.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:40 AM
Tech Legend

[QUOTE=rracer;13372352]so he talked to Tebo and JP and Pavidis but when he went to talk to the Ryans they just looked at him and turned there head like he was not even standing there. Every since then i wont touch a AE car /QUOTE]

Never had a impression like your describing, Either Ryan has always been open and polite with me...

I have watch both of them go way out there way to help anyone new or young.

They are true professional's and can be most help ful in the pits.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Rick , get real...

Seen this done over & over.

Young driver offered sponsorship, success comes, manufactor makes millions off of and then they get traded for another young up comer.
Man, what world do you live in? That's the way things are done everywhere. Just look at professional sports. That's the way it goes in any "sport" where you have a shorter shelf life.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:15 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
Oh, I agree. But "big" money, means different things to different people. I work in IT and know what we make, lol. I personally would rather be a weekend warrior than a full ride driver for RC. Longer term and higher earning potential. I work for a little company called General Motors. Maybe I should get GM stickers and put them on my cars since they sponsor my cars, house, cloths and etc, lol.
That would explain a few things when looking at your toy cars ( sorry, couldn't resist )
Old 07-01-2014, 08:19 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
That would explain a few things when looking at your toy cars ( sorry, couldn't resist )
lol. I would make a little joke, but I am expected to represent the brand is a positive light. Plus, the company is a baller to work for. Maybe I will see about getting a Barbie Pink Camero to match my B5
Old 07-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by rracer
OK i will explain. No wildcat he did not sleep with my woman. I have been racing RC since 1985 i am 52 some of you on this forum might not understand what it was about in the old days and how sponsored racers treated us regular racers.I have made the A main with the fast guys, Drake,Roberts,Saxton,Pavidis, and others and i have had a lot of fun in this hobby and have made many friends over the years, i still race. I have a 10 year old grandson who has taken interest in RC Racing and i must say he is very good and a good sportsman. I told him that the pro's were in town for the midwest champs he asked if he could go to meet them i said sure, so he talked to Tebo and JP and Pavidis but when he went to talk to the Ryans they just looked at him and turned there head like he was not even standing there. Every since then i wont touch a AE car so just because he goes to another brand doesn't matter it's the person. This hobby needs young people to keep it going so lets make it fun for them too. Yes he is a great driver and i'm sure he will do well where ever he goes.
One thing you may be forgetting is pro toy cars racers are people too and just like you, they have bad days. It very well could be you caught them at a bad time right after some bad runs ( maybe Tebo was smoking them at the time ). I can tell you this, one day when racing a club race at a Phoenix track RM handed me his car ( the one he was running that day) and let me take some parts off of it I needed to race when the hobby shop and none of my fellow racers ( including RM ) had a spare of a part I broke in practice before racing started. I felt bad for handing him back his car with a hand full of the car's parts in a baggy but I was able to race that night thanks to RM. How many "Pros" do you know that would do that?

Last edited by PFKAOG; 07-01-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default anything is possible

Anything is possible, but I SERIOUSLY doubt any rc car racer has made a million dollars. Do you believe everything you read on the internet?
Old 07-01-2014, 08:28 AM
Suspended

Anything is possible, but I SERIOUSLY doubt any rc car racer has made a million dollars. Do you believe everything you read on the internet?
Don't you know, they can't put anything on the Internet that's not true
Old 07-01-2014, 08:31 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Are you seriously that nieve?
They were all interviewed.
I'm sure they wouldn't allowed it up if it was lies...
Old 07-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Tech Legend

[] Man, what world do you live in? That's the way things are done everywhere. Just look at professional sports. That's the way it goes in any "sport" where you have a shorter shelf life.[/QUOTE]

Live on the planet Earth, maybe you live where they have no ethics ?

Guess your ok with companys taking young drivers for a ride, make millions off their promotions and then dumping um for another young driver...
Maybe your ok with that, not on my planet however...

We care for each other on Earth..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.