Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 Ebuggy ESC MOUNT QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 05:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I have 3 layers of 3M double sided tape in the etruggy, and using 3m velcro in the ebuggy. Both are cushy and have yet to lose an ESC. I also run the Hobbywing 150A which are fairly durable.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:22 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital
I have 3 layers of 3M double sided tape in the etruggy, and using 3m velcro in the ebuggy. Both are cushy and have yet to lose an ESC. I also run the Hobbywing 150A which are fairly durable.
My ESC's always lasted longer in my Truggy's. It prolonged the inevitable. The extra big tires absorb a lot of the shock.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sometimes its not the tape at all. You have to be sure even before tape it down that the esc wires doesn't push or pull the esc in anyway. If the wires are pushing or pulling it will eventually come off regardless.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

well i took my esc and some grey 3m tape and stuck it to a piece of plastic. i then took and added another layer of tape to the plastic and then stuck that to the chassis.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nv529
I've been using Adhesive back Velcro for about 4 years now on my 1/8 E-buggies.
Originally Posted by orcadigital
My 8ight E 2.0 buggy and truggy both have a mounting plate and I used just 3M servo tape and they've been fine. On my 8ight E 3.0, I have the battery trap and ESC switched and no option for a mounting plate. I too ended using some adhesive Velcro and it has worked perfectly. I've checked the ESC every time I've taken the body off after a run and it hadn't moved or come loose.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

To the guys using adhesive backed Velcro, do you use just the male and female part of the Velcro or do you create a base with double sided tape and place the adhesive backed Velcro on that?

Also, which Velcro do you use? I've got some 3M "heavy duty fasteners" rated for 2 pounds per inch.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

I've always used one layer of the walmart 3m double sided tape. No problems yet. If you use alcohol to clean the mounting area and the esc before applying the tape, it will stick "forever". I've cracked a receiver case trying to remove it.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iamahuman
To the guys using adhesive backed Velcro, do you use just the male and female part of the Velcro or do you create a base with double sided tape and place the adhesive backed Velcro on that?

Also, which Velcro do you use? I've got some 3M "heavy duty fasteners" rated for 2 pounds per inch.
I put the fuzzy stuff on the ESC and the other side on the chassis. I don't build a base with anything. I have used the 3M stuff and it works pretty good. For most of my buggies I put a loose'ish tie wrap around the ESC and the ESC tray. It is just tight enough to keep the velcro from disengaging in a heavy hit (lawn dart, head ton collision). This lets the ESC float around a bit and really extends the life. I have never had an ESC failure since I started racing 1/8th buggy back in 2009. I have run Castle, Tekin, and HobbyWing ESC's in a variety of cars.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:58 AM
Tech Regular

I won't be using a tray on my E Car. I guess I'll just use the velcro tape and check on the car after a few laps. If it doesn't look very good, I might end up using 2-3 layers of double sided tape.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iamahuman
I won't be using a tray on my E Car. I guess I'll just use the velcro tape and check on the car after a few laps. If it doesn't look very good, I might end up using 2-3 layers of double sided tape.
I have also used velcro direct to the chassis when I was running a Hyper9e. Worked just fine without the tie wrap. The RX8 has a large enough foot print that it takes a severe hit to full disengage the velcro. Here is a pic of that setup.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...per9_lcg_3.jpg

Last edited by kufman; 08-12-2014 at 06:53 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 08-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info.

I've never seen a Hyper 9e. It looks pretty good.