Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AE ? TLR?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 03:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? AE ? TLR?

Not looking to start a chevy vs. ford argument here, just curious about people that have owned both and their experiences with each. I currently run associated RC8Be & RC8T but have considered making the swap to TLR. Again just looking for the experiences that people have had with both. I know there are individual threads on each vehicle but i would like to hear from people who have owned both.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I have not owned any AE kits but have had Losi, Tekno and now Mugen. From my experience, drive style and working on the kits I can say that for me Tekno and Mugen are hands down leaps and bounds better then losi. Don't get me wrong losi kits are good for some people. I found my self always working on them and tweaking setups. The only losi kit that I would buy again would be the 22. I really liked that kit when I had it.

I have had the Tekno EB48. 2 and sct410. I love the sct410 and have no plans to get rid of it. I found a good setup for it and it drives sooo good. The only thing I do to it now is change oil and replace parts as needed. The EB48. 2 I sold after driving a Mugen mbx6 eco. The EB48. 2 was a very good kit over my 8ight 2.0 E. I was putting down fast times and placing high then I ever did with my losi. There were thing I didn't like about the EB48. 2 like how aggressive it drives.

I have had the mugen for about a week and only 1 race day on it. After taking apart, cleaning it and changing oils I found it enjoyable to work on. After about 5 laps I knew that the mugen was the kit for me. The box setup was a pretty good starting point for me and my track. It was a blast to drive and I was driving lines that I would never do with the Tekno. I was super consistent with the 1st heat at 12 laps@ 5:11 and 2nd heat @ 12laps @ 5:11. For 1/8 scale mugen will be my choice.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:28 AM
Tech Adept

it all depends on what type of kit you are looking at:

1/8th buggy: TLR over AE. AE is behind the curve on 1/8th scale and due for a new kit. The TLR 3.0 is a solid contender at any track.

1/10th buggy: Draw: The old B4.2 is a really fast buggy, but can be a little bit touch and a little bit fragile. The 22 2.0 is an impressive kit. Super easy to assemble, very durable, and can be swapped from rm to mm. We'll all have to wait and see what the B5 does when it comes out.

1/10th SC: 2wd or 4wd TLR gets my vote here. Much like the 1/8th scale I think AE is due for an update
Old 01-16-2014, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My Ae never worked as good as my Losi , but its durablity has been better then my Losi. My Losi wouldnt keep a set up on it , the plastic rod ends constantly change shape and get loose. The steering tray flexed so much it would move BEFORE my steering hit its end point . I have bent several Losi Drive shafts , and the diffs are not great . With all this being said , the Losi is fast for me when its right ! You can push it hard and it responds well .

My AE has never felt as good as my Losi performance wise . But parts wise , I changed a shock tower I bent , and I think I broke 1 arm . Not bad in my opinion.

If you are sure your going to get AE or Losi , my vote is Losi for 1/8 scale . It takes some effort to keep it fast, but it seems more rewarding when its right. For the price of the Losi , you owe it to your hard earned money to look at a mugen , Xray , and Tekno though .

What has you thinking about switching ?
Old 01-16-2014, 06:57 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I made the switch from ae to losi after i was trying for the longest to get faster, i have my b4 as upgraded and "dialed" as i could get it, and it still was not fast enough(stock buggy) so i got a 22 buggy kit and put it all together and factory setup was alot faster...so now that i got it tuned up i am soo much more consistant, and even got a mid motor 22 for mod buggy!!! I am 1000% happy i switched to losi!!!! Turned the b4 into a backyard basher hahha and hangin out with freinds and let them trash it kinda car lolll
Old 01-16-2014, 07:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Both are great cars....get whatever your little heart desires and practice....personally, I'd go Kyosho......ha!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:40 AM
Tech Champion

it really comes down to your driving style and parts support.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:45 AM
Tech Champion

Neither. Both of those 8th scales have too many oddities, and require too many spare parts and frequent wear replacement compared to other cars in that class.

Parts support? Hahahhahaha. I tossed my 8th scales in the garbage if they needed more than a sandwich size ziplock bag of parts on hand for emergency repairs. My current rides need about 50x less parts replacement than my AE, Losi, and HB rides did. For every single plastic or metal part I replace on my Xray,.....my AE and HB needed about 50.

I'll recommend Kyo, Xray, and Tekno instead.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Neither. Both of those 8th scales have too many oddities, and require too many spare parts and frequent wear replacement compared to other cars in that class.

Parts support? Hahahhahaha. I tossed my 8th scales in the garbage if they needed more than a sandwich size ziplock bag of parts on hand for emergency repairs. My current rides need about 50x less parts replacement than my AE, Losi, and HB rides did. For every single plastic or metal part I replace on my Xray,.....my AE and HB needed about 50.

crash a lot?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

For me, I picked AE because it had the best part support locally. There wasn't any other option really for 2wd buggie. But I've bought AE for the most part because its cheaper haha.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect

Just last week I was telling some rc buddies that I had money to spend on rc but my teknos didn't need anything. So I ordered some $4 diff orings and thats it.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Schumacher
Old 01-16-2014, 09:25 AM
Tech Adept

I've raced a 22 buggy and a SC10.2. I like Associated kits better. They seem to just keep things simple where TLR would make it complicated. The front spindles are a good example of this. AE uses a straight cut steel dowel, whereas TLR used goofy custom screws, then threaded kingpins in the 2.0 because the screw version kept snapping.

That said, I'm now a big Durango fan, because they also use a lot of clever features in their products. Parts can be harder to come by though.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Im gonna throw something out there about this whole "parts support thing ". Its a joke ! I have owned 3 huge pos cars becasue my LHS carried the brands , but you know what ? Even though I had what they carried the most of , rarely if ever did they have the part I actually needed. Sure they have a ton of the parts , but the common parts that break they will be out of stock. If your just running and having fun playing around , no real biggie . BUT , If your going to race , you need to have your own spares. You cant rely on the LHS to have anything , because they usually wont. I switched brands a while back , to an obscure european brand , that has virtually no parts support around me locally . I bought $100.00 worth of spares off e bay , and I have used 2 dang parts out of the lot. Dont buy a inferior product to race , because you think the LHS is gonna have what you need when you break. Just doesnt work out that way .

Last edited by wittyname; 01-16-2014 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spellin
Old 01-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by symmetricon
crash a lot?
Joust a lot. I'll put my car on pit lane and joust with anything that's not an Xray or a 10 year old 10 pound Ofna.

But some cars can't joust well. The AE RC8 and Horizon Hobby 8ight are 2 I wouldn't joust with.

And when I was in the south: That sandy clay loved to eat certain cars and put tons of play into them in just a few weeks. While others lasted way longer.

The weak plastic chassis braces on my RC8 had to be regularly replaced (RTR or FT pushrod style). Or the chassis would flex too much and crack my engine block. Expensive lesson learned there. You shouldn't ever have to do that with the blockier curved braces on the Tekno or Xray.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.