Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buggy vs short course driving skill

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Buggy vs short course driving skill

I know these drive totally different, but how hard is the learning curve. Obviously you don't want to rub at all since you'll either flip or brak something and I take it these are a lot more responsive than the sc.

Last time I drove a buggy was in the 80s and I don't remember a thing.

1/10

Thanks
Old 12-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You dont break just from bumping, unless your car is already on the verge of breaking.

Not that much of a learning curve really, different characteristics that require different driving, but it's not too drastic.

It's open wheel so bumping will result in more marshalling and flipping potentially though.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I would say that buggy is more of a "drivers car" You have to be more careful driving a buggy, as you will screw up if you over drive it. Whereas a 4x4 sct is more like a "muscle car". More go go go, less finesse.

this is 4wd buggy, right?

that was all for 4wd….

for 2wd buggy is generally still Harder to drive in that it is more "twitchy" than a sct.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I just started racing buggy. I found it to be easier than driving short course. The buggy was more compliant to my input. It could have been because my short course (HPI Blitz) sucked, but jumping into buggy was no big deal, and I am not that great or consistent of a driver. I am just starting out.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ThePanda
I would say that buggy is more of a "drivers car" You have to be more careful driving a buggy, as you will screw up if you over drive it. Whereas a 4x4 sct is more like a "muscle car". More go go go, less finesse.

this is 4wd buggy, right?

that was all for 4wd….

for 2wd buggy is generally still Harder to drive in that it is more "twitchy" than a sct.
This would be 2wd I've tried 4wd and didn't care for it.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

The most different thing is how much more corner speed you can carry, your braking points change, and you always have a smile on your face when jumping unlike an sct which flips rolls and stumbles around if your not babying it. In air corrections, in all I find buggy more to my liking than sct.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aloksatoor
...you always have a smile on your face when jumping unlike an sct which flips rolls and stumbles around if your not babying it. In air corrections, in all I find buggy more to my liking than sct.
I learned all of that in about 3 laps with my buggy! I couldn't believe how much better it was.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

SC is great for beginners, just getting into the hobby.

Go buggy and don't look back.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (98%+)

I came back to the hobby with an SCT, and it was fun. It takes a lot of skill and some pretty good luck to get around a track quickly and cleanly on an SCT. and then i tried buggy and sold my SCT. it goes where i want it to with so much less drama, its easier to drive fast. Plus, its considerably cheaper for tires/bodies/parts.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you are fast with a 2W mod buggy, you will be fast with anything.....

it teaches skills that other classes can't.

Spend some time in 2W, then try SC again and apply what you have learned, you will be ALOT faster.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

being that they are both 2wd vehicles they will both drive more or less the same. break too hard, spin out. throttle too hard, spin out, etc. however, i always felt like you really had to fight the sct to get it to do what you want, while a buggy does it effortlessly.

Even my wife, who races SCT, when she first drove my buggy proclaimed "wow, I wish my car drove this good!"
Old 12-30-2013, 01:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reaper7534
I know these drive totally different, but how hard is the learning curve. Obviously you don't want to rub at all since you'll either flip or brak something and I take it these are a lot more responsive than the sc.

Last time I drove a buggy was in the 80s and I don't remember a thing.

1/10

Thanks
I have raced 2wd/4wd SCT, 2wd buggy and stadium truck. For me, the hardest car to drive was the 2wd buggy. Much steeper learning curve, especially at higher speeds. The easiest to drive was/is the 4wd SCT.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DsWright
If you are fast with a 2W mod buggy, you will be fast with anything.....

it teaches skills that other classes can't.

Spend some time in 2W, then try SC again and apply what you have learned, you will be ALOT faster.
Agreed!

I switched from SC to buggy and learned a lot. added SC to my line up about a year later and I'm a much better driver now with it than I was the last time. due to the lack of 2wd SC's at my local carpet tracks club races, I run with the 4wd SC class. Won the A-main 3 weeks straight but consistently make the A-Main. I do it for the practice and the challenge is fun.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Buggy is harder to drive, sc is just sloppy lol they clank and clack lol and seem so stiff
Old 12-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I was much like you. I raced in the late 90's and just got back into the sport about 2 months ago. I jump head first into 1/8 e buggy and i'm still getting use to the power of brushless motors and lipo's. I have been told sct's are the best for people getting into the sport. I just not a fan of them yet as I raced buggy back in the day. Big jumps plus wind can affect 4wd sct but havent watch enough 2wd sct to see if it throws them off. IMO I think buggy will make you a better driver. Just my 2 cents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.