Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buggy vs short course driving skill

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DsWright
If you are fast with a 2W mod buggy, you will be fast with anything.....

it teaches skills that other classes can't.

Spend some time in 2W, then try SC again and apply what you have learned, you will be ALOT faster.
YEP! Just got a Mod SC 2wd again and I stomp the track with it since I have been running alot of mod buggy for the past year. Racing, SC is way less drama. Buggy becomes very serious very quick and sometimes lessens the fun. SC just seems to be competitive without much drama, here locally at least.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

After racing 2wd SC for the first 3 months of my rc racing life, I am now learning how to drive 2wd buggy.

IMO the buggy is easier to drive, in that the precision and nimbleness can make a small track feel wide open. However I also feel that the buggy is more difficult to drive fast... competitively fast.

2wd SC can be a little unpredictable at times, which can be great equalizer amongst a field of various experience, but can also be a source of frustration if one takes it too serious.

The buggy also seems more responsive to setup changes. A millimeter here or there and it can go from dialed to un-drive-able.

I was starting to get frustrated with my SC, but now the practice and tuning experience with my buggy has carried over to my SC. It is now running better than ever and I can't wait to race it again.

So my advice: buy a 2wd SC. drive it, race it... when start to get comfortable with the SC get a buggy.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I think 2wd buggy is the class that refines driving skill more than any other. It hands down needs a more consistent style to make good time on the track.

Short course is a very mixed bag. It is such a popular first step into hobby grade cars that every kid at Christmas has one at the track and they often have no clue what they are doing yet. But some very seasoned drivers run them as well. During this holiday break open practice at the track is just nuts... You have it all at the same time, people turning fast clean laps and kids doing donuts on the straights or just running backwards.. It is almost a deathwish to put your 17.5 buggy on the track with them sometimes.

But the real point I guess is that 2wd buggy takes patience and skill to get down. While 4x4 SC is a more aggressive point and shoot driving style. Both are fun, but it is a different mindset to me.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Couldn't agree with the post more. You get competitive in 2wd mod buggy. You will be competitive with everything else.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bambambennett
Racing, SC is way less drama. Buggy becomes very serious very quick and sometimes lessens the fun. SC just seems to be competitive without much drama, here locally at least.
It's the same here. Mind you, the atmosphere in the pits at my local carpet track is the best I've seen anywhere. the buggy guys are a little more serious but are still good people to be around.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:54 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

No buggy guys drama at my track, we all laugh and carry on havin a good ole time lmao
Old 12-31-2013, 10:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My son and I started racing SC last Feb and we used to make fun of the buggy class, those look funny, they don't look realistic, then I stumbled upon a B4.1 for dirt cheap that was supposed to be for my daughter. Now I have a B4.2 son has a 22 and we both enjoy racing buggy way more than SC. Completely different feeling and driving style, and the SC will definitely let you know that "hey stupid I'm not a buggy" in every turn as it's on the lid. But my/ our driving skill refined quickly after driving the buggy for a couple of months.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:17 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by CaseyD
My son and I started racing SC last Feb and we used to make fun of the buggy class, those look funny, they don't look realistic, then I stumbled upon a B4.1 for dirt cheap that was supposed to be for my daughter. Now I have a B4.2 son has a 22 and we both enjoy racing buggy way more than SC. Completely different feeling and driving style, and the SC will definitely let you know that "hey stupid I'm not a buggy" in every turn as it's on the lid. But my/ our driving skill refined quickly after driving the buggy for a couple of months.
Lol, buggy will def make you clean up your act lol
Old 12-31-2013, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Go with personal preference. I started out racing buggy as a kid so getting back into it now is easier for me. I'm about to take a break from SC for a bit there's a few things I do like about it.

2WD SC:
Pros:
Like a fat cat, seems to always land on its wheels.
Can driver over the barriers if need be.
All things being equal, slower due to weight and size.
Closed wheels allows rubbin is racin.

Cons:
Higher CG so can traction roll.
Clunky.
Typically a rougher class because of the closed wheels.
Wind can play havoc on jumps.

2WD Buggy:
Pros:
Faster.
Makes you a better driver.
More fun once you're under control.
Jumps are fun.

Cons:
Need to shy from contact.
Can be twitchy as reactions are instant.
Hitting the jump wrong is way worse than SC.
Easier to break stuff.

Look at the turnout for both classes and decide.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Stupid double post

Last edited by shagino; 12-31-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:20 PM
Tech Regular

If you get good at 2wd buggy you'll get better at everything else. I never practice with my short course... if my buggy improves my short course does right with it.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

2wd buggies feel light when you drive them. Plus they are easy to maintain. I find them difficult to drive though, but very pleasing when you get the hang of it. A challenge-reward factor. I disagree on the 4wd buggy as it is my favorite to drive. I now have the DEX410V3.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

A 2wd buggy and a 2wd sct should have about the same maintenance, A sct is just a buggy, just with a stretched chassis, and wider arms, and a few smaller changes like nerf bars and different body mounts. Tires are much more expensive though.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

Start with 2wd buggy and get good at that you drive anything. 1/10th 2wd also teaches you throttle control, set ups, and one of the most things it teaches is driving etiquette which a lot of drivers that start in shortcourse or 1/8th scale do not learn.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Guess I should have prefaced this by saying,,,

I've had the following already

Rc8be
Sc10 ft 2wd
Sc10 ft 4x4

The buggy was just too much power and I was too new
I liked the 2 WC and was competitive
Didn't care for the 4we

That being said, I'm building another 2wd sc10.2, only reason I quit before is my local track closed up.

The buggies look fun and I wanted to know what to expect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.