Search
Like Tree2Likes

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BOLISARIO
What size are the machined 2 hole pistons from Serpent, 1.6? I wish I bought some machined pistons in the beginning. The stock "tree" pistons are kinda crappy. Even if you smooth out the edges to get rid of any burrs, they still feel rough going up and down the shock body and also a bit tight as the piston hits near the bottom.
I believe they are 1.1mm. GMK Supply has a nice pin vise/drill set called the "hole thing" that has every size you'll need to drill pistons. Its around $15 and worth every penny. Either way, you'll need to drill the Serpent pistons to the desired size.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Had my first breakage today. A bit surprised how it happened
But i couldn't ask for a better car to drive. Serpent arms are
Obvioudly stronger than the chassis.
I am glad that my ko rsx 1 10 survive

Old 02-15-2014, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by frozencone
Wow. How'd you do that?
Old 02-15-2014, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 259 (100%+)

I've broken two chassis so far, both in the same area. Serpent knows it's a weak spot and have been trying to beef that area up. Contact Serpent and they may send you another chassis and top plate.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rraden
I've broken two chassis so far, both in the same area. Serpent knows it's a weak spot and have been trying to beef that area up. Contact Serpent and they may send you another chassis and top plate.
For the MM? I know of the RM issue but this is the first I've seen for MM
Old 02-15-2014, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jonny5
I believe they are 1.1mm. GMK Supply has a nice pin vise/drill set called the "hole thing" that has every size you'll need to drill pistons. Its around $15 and worth every penny. Either way, you'll need to drill the Serpent pistons to the desired size.
Thanks. Hope these will smooth out the shock and it's not a faulty shock body. With the stock pistons, it feels tighter near the bottom of the body.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Any way to beef up the front of the chassis till they find a factory solution? Chassis brace or something?

Also waiting on release date of the gear diff if anyone knows. Don't know if I should order new ball diff parts, wait for gear diff, or if there is no front brace solution, sell it before I run/break it and get something different.

Last edited by rallyredevo; 02-15-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

I landed a jump side way to be honest ot wasn't a big or high or hogh speed.
It just happened to be at the right angle and then snapped.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by frozencone

email serpent america and they will send you a top plate and chassis,i had mine in two days free of charge! excellent customer service
Old 02-15-2014, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rallyredevo
Any way to beef up the front of the chassis till they find a factory solution? Chassis brace or something?

Also waiting on release date of the gear diff if anyone knows. Don't know if I should order new ball diff parts, wait for gear diff, or if there is no front brace solution, sell it before I run/break it and get something different.
I'm not convinced there is an issue just yet. Disturbing for sure with the RM history.

Seems a little early to be freaking out over the possibility of it breaking. Enjoy the ride. Obviously it isn't as robust as an aluminum chassis but it's a bit lighter too.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 259 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shagino
I'm not convinced there is an issue just yet. Disturbing for sure with the RM history.

Seems a little early to be freaking out over the possibility of it breaking. Enjoy the ride. Obviously it isn't as robust as an aluminum chassis but it's a bit lighter too.
Unless there is something drastically different between the front end on the RM versus the MM, they most likely will break the same way. This is still a great car, we're just used to arms breaking instead of chassis.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Just finished the build on my mm. Went perfectly. No hand fitting what so ever or binding anywhere. On a side note, I have the rm as well. Mine is a first release kit. I have not broken a single part on it and I have had my share of crashes.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Ive be3n running both rm and mm last few weeks and im selling the rm. Love the mm....maybe ill get anther mm. I like to run both stock and mod
Old 02-15-2014, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rraden
Unless there is something drastically different between the front end on the RM versus the MM, they most likely will break the same way. This is still a great car, we're just used to arms breaking instead of chassis.
Have you broken a new RM chassis? The new RM's are supposed to be beefier. It sounded like the MM was held up because of that enhancement as well.

I have no affiliation with Serpent/Desoto. I'm not being defensive, I just find it surprising.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Here is my set up from todays Jconcepts Super Cup Series race. The track had a little bit of a groove but was pretty dry and dusty. I would have qualified 3rd for the A but a bobble on the last turn cost me so I ended up starting 6th. I had a rough time in traffic in the main so I ended up 6th. I am very impressed with the mm buggy. It's very predictable and consistent lap after lap. I didnt have to drive it on edge to be fast if that makes sense. Im hitting a club race tomorrow so im gonna do some more testing.
http://dialedsetups.com/default/sheets/view/id/1197

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.