Like Tree2Likes

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Sorry. Thanks. Answers below.

Originally Posted by Flyinggekko
Ok I will try to explain my problems again (english is not my native language )

1. problem: There are two holes on the front wishbones for mounting the balljoints of the dampers. But the balljoints are to large to use the outer holes.

Take a file to the arm so you can use the outer lower shock position.

2. problem: There are two holes for mounting the balljoints on the front c-hubs. But when I'm using the outer hole, the pivotball is touching the outer wheel during hard cornering. Even when I'm using the inner hole, I've to use another pivotball without the hexagonal head.

I'm using the outer hole too. I can see how it could rub a little but it's not much for me. Make sure you don't have any shims and that the C-Hubs aren't reversed.

And I've a third question:What's the weight of the brass-ballast which is mounted under the motor. This peace of weight costs about 50€ in Austria and I'm to greedy to buy it.

33.8g. That was a good suggestion in the previous post.

And last but not least: Has anybody here already used the sc-chubs for simulating straight wishbones and can explain the effects? Is Serpent planing to offer real straight wishbones?

A lot of folks swear by it. I personally have not tried it.

I've already thought about using the slide-drive, but it is pretty expensive and I will wait until next year, when I'm building a new srx2 mm. The problem is, that my local track is build out of mixture of clay and concrete. The load was already to high for the plastic gears, but since I'm using the metal ones, the outdrives and driveshafts get sharpened very hard.

Thanks for your answers.

Greetings

Stephan
Old 08-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for your answers.

I already take a file to the wishbones, I just found it a little bit strange that I've to do this.

I also figured out the problem with the c-hubs. I'm using 2mm shims to get a distance to the dampers (I'm using asso springs).

Greetings

Stephan
Old 08-26-2015, 02:58 PM
Tech Rookie

A little bird told me that Serpent will be offering a new version of the SRX2 mm in October so I thought maybe one of you guys knows which changes we might have to expect.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

A little bird told me that Serpent will be offering a new version of the SRX2 mm in October so I thought maybe one of you guys knows which changes we might have to expect.
It may come with aluminuin chassis, LCG trans box or other updates. Specially design for carpet.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

If wheeler is any indication, I wouldn't be too excited about the October date Maybe December.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I notice some people use SCT front hub on their RM/MM buggy, what is the benefit?
Old 08-28-2015, 04:21 AM
Tech Rookie

I ordered them yesterday and will test them next week at a race.

I give you some feedback when I know more

Greetings

Stephan
Old 08-28-2015, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.DENG
I notice some people use SCT front hub on their RM/MM buggy, what is the benefit?
The purpose is to simulate a flat front a-arm. On the B5, you put the flat arms (and shock tower, they require a different tower), on for smoother steering. The gullwings just had too much. I personally haven't tried it.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Somewhere in this thread somebody was speaking about stiff dampers. I just serviced my mm for a race and figured out a similar problem.

I can't find this text anymore, but I remember that the guy drilled out some hole (maybe the end of the aluminium body above the o-rings?)

Would be glad if somebody could help me with this problem.

Greetings

Stephan
Old 08-28-2015, 05:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Somewhere in this thread somebody was speaking about stiff dampers. I just serviced my mm for a race and figured out a similar problem.

I can't find this text anymore, but I remember that the guy drilled out some hole (maybe the end of the aluminium body above the o-rings?)

Would be glad if somebody could help me with this problem.

Greetings

Stephan
Enlarge the hole in the lower plastic cap on the shock a little bit till you get smooth shock action. Stock hole size causes a little binding.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tijuana_Taxi
Enlarge the hole in the lower plastic cap on the shock a little bit till you get smooth shock action. Stock hole size causes a little binding.
Yup. 9/64" bit will do it. DO NOT DRILL THE ALUMINUM CAP.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gticlay
The purpose is to simulate a flat front a-arm. On the B5, you put the flat arms (and shock tower, they require a different tower), on for smoother steering. The gullwings just had too much. I personally haven't tried it.
I havn't tried it either, but I don't believe it was for 'smoother' steering.

I got the impression the SCT parts were for 'more' steering, but then again I could be wrong!
Old 08-28-2015, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hacker
I havn't tried it either, but I don't believe it was for 'smoother' steering.

I got the impression the SCT parts were for 'more' steering, but then again I could be wrong!
I haven't tried them myself either. Mostly laziness on my part as I only get to run once or twice a month.

Billy's thoughts on the matter:
Using SC hubs on the buggy:
LIsten guys.. I want to be extremely clear about this.. I know as you have shown in the above picture.. The Axles appear in a different location. Which is why so many guys are bandwagoning to put them on after a few racers have announced their pleasure in the parts. I can fully assure you although the two vehicles posted in the above picture look different, but they are very similar.. You can easily test this philosophy and test my knowledge.. Place both cars on the same bench. Mount the same tires onto both cars. Then set the ride height to exactly the same. Then, take a look at the arm angle.. On ours you will have to draw an imaginary line,as the arm has a bend in it. .. Once you do this, you will clearly see, although it looks different its the same... Or extremely close..... Now. If you place the SCT parts on our buggy you are raising the roll center 4-6mm. By doing this you are changing the entire geometry of the front end. If you do the above test, again, while having SCT parts on your car, you will notice, the angles of the arms are no longer similar.( the inner hinge ping will be high and the outer low.. ). Although I have very little experience, in putting these SCT parts on my Buggy, they were originally only intended for the SCT.. The scrub offset is also different as well as it affects your ackerman..Basically.. By putting these parts on the car, you change 4 things. Shock angles, scrub offset, ackerman and roll center.. Its not just, Oh, hey, i raised the roll center.. Anyone who thinks that is greatly mistaken.. I can not tell customers what they can or can not do, but, I can tell you of the tests we have done locally here, on a track where we use slicks, med grip and also high grip, we actually thought that it did not really improve the buggy at all. We felt the initial steer was nervous and aggressive, then in the mid corner it pushed and or at apex caused the car to get loose. We also found at one track the car picked up an on throttle over steer. .. At this time, I can not endorse these parts, as i feel they are not an improvement. My test drivers and I will continue to test them, and report back if we find any positive results. In the mean, time as many of you will most likely try them anyway, be sure to keep an open mind and also be sure to do back to back tests..

I know there are some that use the SCT parts on their buggy. I do not personally, and do not think they are a necessity. At our last race(Spektrum) we ran the stock parts and were more than competitive. I would take Erik's advice as many people are extremely happy with the stock car.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

on paper, it shouldn't work

on the track it does.

Erik Everett who is one of the top racers here in Florida did it and I copied his setup and it works beautifully. I can out turn anybody.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Some guys (and also Billy Easton) is mentioning some O-Rings made by Traxxas, which should perform pretty well.

Does anybody know the specific reference of this rings?

Greetings

Stephan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.