Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Weird ESC issue. please help before the weekend! >

Weird ESC issue. please help before the weekend!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weird ESC issue. please help before the weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Something I did notice actually. The two tacon motors were 2800 and 2930kv. The Turnigy motor is 2100kv. With the Turnigy, it does still have the issue BUT I did notice it is a lot smaller of a delay. Mean anything to you?
Old 09-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

more than likely its a quality thing. the the rx8 out of your ebuggy and try it, lol. I have never owned the Chinese brand motors. I only run sensored reedy/tekin motors. I have had sensor cables go bad with my HW esc and the esc switched into sensorless mode and it still ran super smooth. But I did see delays if I did a full punch of the throttle. But when I accelerated smoothly, I didnt really see a huge lag. Are you racing that truck?
Old 09-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
more than likely its a quality thing. the the rx8 out of your ebuggy and try it, lol. I have never owned the Chinese brand motors. I only run sensored reedy/tekin motors. I have had sensor cables go bad with my HW esc and the esc switched into sensorless mode and it still ran super smooth. But I did see delays if I did a full punch of the throttle. But when I accelerated smoothly, I didnt really see a huge lag. Are you racing that truck?
Well, maybe I'll gear it down a couple teeth just to help eliminate the lag slightly. It's my sons beginner race truck. I have a 2wd Losi SCT that I race and that's the truck with the other HW SC8 esc and I have a Tacon 4 pole 4000kv in that truck. I'll just use it until it burns and buy another. I've been really happy with these esc's lately, this is just something that's bothered me and I've never noticed on my other HW ESC's before.

Thanks for everyones input!
Old 09-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Tech Adept

If reverse works fine, the motor wires need to be switched and the channel reversed on the radio. Only switch 2 wires going to the motor.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RodDog
If reverse works fine, the motor wires need to be switched and the channel reversed on the radio. Only switch 2 wires going to the motor.
The same delay occurs both directions.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrowles91
The same delay occurs both directions.
Just a thought to help reduce the problem a bit, would be to turn the throttle trim up a bit. That will make the throttle a bit more responsive down low. You might be able to eliminate the issue by adjusting the trim until the car moves just slightly on its own. Again, worth a shot.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Tech Adept

Does it hesitate any when taking off at half throttle?
Old 09-13-2013, 10:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I dunno. I would have to test it and take a look, but if it did not do this before and you didnt change anything, then the esc is bad. Sensorless does have a lag and is worse when you go 100%, you said it used to work fine.
I agree.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon
Just a thought to help reduce the problem a bit, would be to turn the throttle trim up a bit. That will make the throttle a bit more responsive down low. You might be able to eliminate the issue by adjusting the trim until the car moves just slightly on its own. Again, worth a shot.
Worth a shot is right! Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Tech Addict

Does it hesitate any when taking off at half throttle?
It's hard to notice unless I'm really giving it some throttle. Not always full but even like 3/4 throttle. Half throttle I'd either say no it doesn't happen or it's just not noticable. What are you thinking?
Old 09-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Tech Adept

Something in a slight bind would be my guess, making the motor try to pull more current at takeoff. Dropping a few teeth on the pinion would probably help that. Of course the ESC may just be bad.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Tech Addict

Something in a slight bind would be my guess, making the motor try to pull more current at takeoff. Dropping a few teeth on the pinion would probably help that. Of course the ESC may just be bad.
I did just order the center shaft which I can hear scraping. That's the only sort of binding I can find and it's not really binding at that.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Its not binding. The same exact thing happened to me and my friends sc8. Our solution was to swap the ESC... Was your ESC overheated? We ran ours in grass one day and ESC thermalled. And after that we had a delay of a second or two when trying to start off from full throttle...
Old 09-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dirty_rooster
Its not binding. The same exact thing happened to me and my friends sc8. Our solution was to swap the ESC... Was your ESC overheated? We ran ours in grass one day and ESC thermalled. And after that we had a delay of a second or two when trying to start off from full throttle...
It's never been overheated. I keep my stuff basically cold. It's been my kids and we just ran it at a small carpeted track and at the time I had it geared really low (he was practicing).

Guess I know what I have to do. Thanks for the reply!