Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody get the Avid motor centering kit for the associated b4.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trixter91
I just finjshed putting mine together and the long screw the 1 1/2 440 screw was about 3 mm too long I had to cut it as it was scratching my slipper hub anybody else have that problem.
yes, i had the same issue. i think they didn't take into account that screw not needing a washer (or being able to fit a washer in that wing mount hole).
Old 08-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Tech Initiate

I have to be completely honest ..... its pretty obvious the shaft has the spacer built into the shaft. Also very BASIC on how all the parts go together, but I do think a lark company like avid should have a basic picture or a YouTube video on install for those that may need it. I mean you space the plate over 5mm .. so you use the blue 5mm spacer to space the slipper over.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

This isn't a new thing, back around 2008. Some of us were putting 2 .030 alm washers between the trans and motor mount per screw, to center (some what) the motor.

Had to put a bunch of axles washers on the topshaft to get the slipper out from the motor mount. Dremal the slipper spring a bit, about .020 per end so the slipper nut would stay on.

.060 is a long way from 5mm!!!!
Old 08-17-2013, 03:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HOTLAPRC
I have to be completely honest ..... its pretty obvious the shaft has the spacer built into the shaft. Also very BASIC on how all the parts go together, but I do think a lark company like avid should have a basic picture or a YouTube video on install for those that may need it. I mean you space the plate over 5mm .. so you use the blue 5mm spacer to space the slipper over.
Haha I was thinking the same thing. Took all of 5 minutes to disassemble/reassemble transmission with this kit.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by negatv1
Haha I was thinking the same thing. Took all of 5 minutes to disassemble/reassemble transmission with this kit.
Its obvious that the stock spacer dosent go on but no instructions no youtube video to see about the blue spacer. I mean im not making excuses once I put the slippef hub and it pushed flat against the motor plate I would have figured it out but just wanted confirmation that's all. Now that this thread is out people will have a decent reference. But just like avid steering great product no instructions wtf.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Instructions for the steering bell cranks??
Old 08-17-2013, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
Instructions for the steering bell cranks??

Unless you own a RTR and have never rebuild the steering.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Looking at the picture the assembly process is pretty straight forward and feel instructions would be just a waste of paper.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

There are only 3 possible configurations, instructions are nice. But so is common sense
Old 08-17-2013, 09:54 PM
Tech Adept

installed it today and had no problems.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

So it seems there are a few running this now. Do you notice a difference? Feel that this was a worthwhile purchase? I've been thinking of getting it but right now it's just on my birthday wish list...maybe the kids will get it for me.

Any photos of it installed?
Old 08-18-2013, 07:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default that damn avid

Originally Posted by trixter91
Its obvious that the stock spacer dosent go on but no instructions no youtube video to see about the blue spacer. I mean im not making excuses once I put the slippef hub and it pushed flat against the motor plate I would have figured it out but just wanted confirmation that's all. Now that this thread is out people will have a decent reference. But just like avid steering great product no instructions wtf.
Ya I know what you mean...no instructions came with my avid springs...damn them!
Old 08-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

the one thing not mentioned (but you'll notice right away) is that you pretty much have to set your slipper from scratch. by that i mean that i pretty much know my slipper is very close to where i want it by looking at where the nut is on the top shaft or how many threads are showing from the end of the nut. so i started with that and threw it on the track and it was WAY loose. took it back to the bench and it required several turns to get it right. not a big deal obviously, just a reminder.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grasschopper
So it seems there are a few running this now. Do you notice a difference? Feel that this was a worthwhile purchase? I've been thinking of getting it but right now it's just on my birthday wish list...maybe the kids will get it for me.

Got the centering kit couple weeks ago. Have ran my car a few times allready and really did not notice a difference in handling or jumping. Kind of a disappointment. It almost seems it needs to be moved over another 2-3 mm to actually be "centered". Kinda waste of money.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grasschopper

I just installed the centering kit. Here is a close up and long view of it installed. Without the centering kit, my car was 12gr heavier on the left side, The left rear wheel was heavier than the right rear wheel, and the right front was heavier than the left front. After installing the centering kit, the right rear axle is now only 1.5 gr heavier than the left. The right front axle is 14.3 gr heavier than the left, but I have to make sure both left and right side front springs have equal spring rates. If they do, then a minor collar adjustment should equalize both sides... I have always tried to build a side-to-side balanced car. In the past, I have always used lead weight to balance the car, but the mass of the motor, motor plate, spur gear, and clutch would still no be centered. I think centering all of that mass is a better solution.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody get the Avid motor centering kit for the associated b4.1-avis-motor-spacer-close-up.jpg   Anybody get the Avid motor centering kit for the associated b4.1-avid-distance.jpg  

Last edited by 1mrdad; 08-19-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.