Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 2.0 Race Kit: 1/10 2WD Buggy thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Here is the setup that Dustin and I ran this past weekend at CRCRC.

Let me know if you have any questions.

JP
Attached Thumbnails TLR 22 2.0 Race Kit: 1/10 2WD Buggy thread-image.jpg  
Old 01-14-2015, 10:34 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MODELTECH22
I have the -2.5 chassis the bell cranks and brass rear pivot, side pod weights in the middle and rear of the pod. i have my setup to the surf city setup but i dont have the weights for the side of the battery, is running a square pack going to be to heavy should i just run my shortie?? med to high bite indoor clay, and i am in mid. what will the car do with each?
Weight balance is critical on these setups so I would stick with the lighter shorty and adjust the weights around from there. A square pack may work fine but limits ability to move weight around.

Originally Posted by alex4r
I like to use an aluminum idler on the diff side and plastic on the top shaft side. Seems like that would have the least friction being metal/plastic/metal/plastic.
+1
Old 01-14-2015, 10:55 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dale.0
Frank/Casper, do you recommend building the MM trans with the one aluminum idler gear, or both plastic?
I run both plastic in buggy, but I run one aluminum in truck, and 2 aluminum in SC.

Originally Posted by MODELTECH22
I have the -2.5 chassis the bell cranks and brass rear pivot, side pod weights in the middle and rear of the pod. i have my setup to the surf city setup but i dont have the weights for the side of the battery, is running a square pack going to be to heavy should i just run my shortie?? med to high bite indoor clay, and i am in mid. what will the car do with each?
I'd run a shorty. I think you can get a car too heavy. Heavier car will make the suspension act softer and roll more, but when you adjust the shocks and springs to correct for this, then a heavier car feels lazier and a little dead. If a car is too light, it will feel light, on top of the track and inconsistent.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JP.R

JP

Out of curiosity, how come you ran the Chain Link tires on 2.2" rims with standard inserts rather than on EVO wheels w/ EVO inserts?
Old 01-14-2015, 11:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

JP
How did the car feel. ? I will try this out this weekend . Thanks Jp
Old 01-14-2015, 12:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kjrell
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Great video, any idea what camera was used?
Old 01-14-2015, 01:34 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andrew Gray
Out of curiosity, how come you ran the Chain Link tires on 2.2" rims with standard inserts rather than on EVO wheels w/ EVO inserts?
From what I've seen and experieneced, all the "big wheel" stuff has less grip and less consistency on medium to low grip stiff. Seems to only work better on really high grip, like a sugared track or a track where you run slicks for example. In the "spec" classes, sometimes the advantage of less rotating mass is more of the benefit than the loss in grip.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Gray
Frank is correct. The track has enough bite, but it is slightly bumpy and the 2.2 just helps get through the bumps smoother without the car getting upset.

Originally Posted by Rcfun96
How did the car feel. ? I will try this out this weekend . Thanks Jp
Car felt very planted, smooth, and easy to drive.

JP
Old 01-14-2015, 02:18 PM
Tech Rookie

i recently decided the 22 2.0 is my next car.

i started reading on page 600 of this thread and i'm not allowing myself to buy the kit until i catch up.

hoping to learn as much as possible before starting the build, still deciding between MM or RM, but i think this guy convinced me:

Originally Posted by liftmys10
Until Porsche makes the 911 mid motor, I'm sticking to RM on my losi since RM works for porsche's racing team
amazing logic, i agree
Old 01-14-2015, 03:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Good choice, I think it's a great RM car. MM? Not so much. My opinion though. I ran a B5M before this car which is a good MM car if you want a MM for the dirt without having to add weight everywhere to make it work. I wanted to go back to TLR though, and I wasn't going to monkey with trying to make a MM TLR work. I am very happy with it in RM.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speed Freak RC
Good choice, I think it's a great RM car. MM? Not so much. My opinion though. I ran a B5M before this car which is a good MM car if you want a MM for the dirt without having to add weight everywhere to make it work. I wanted to go back to TLR though, and I wasn't going to monkey with trying to make a MM TLR work. I am very happy with it in RM.
RM brothers of the world UNITE

I tried the MM and couldn't get it to work the way I felt it should. Just didn't feel comfortable for me. Went back to RM and swear to never go back. But the pressure from everybody else is intense! I think they are just trying to slow me down so I wont be a threat

But I do see the advantages of the MM and yes, they are just as fast.... in the right hands..... just not mine!
Old 01-14-2015, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

JP
JP.R. Shorty servo, or standard? No other aluminum parts?
Old 01-14-2015, 11:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

jp or frank,
A few posts someone asked about the shorty vs square. Wondering if it is the placement of weights vs the total weight that makes a difference? I run mid with the saddle packs and while it is almost the same total weight as the shorty with 20 grams on each side and 18 grams each side pod, I was wondering does the weight being out farther with the side pods make a greater difference?
Old 01-15-2015, 03:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dale.0
JP.R. Shorty servo, or standard? No other aluminum parts?
Xpert shorty servo.

Jp
Old 01-15-2015, 06:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dbracn
jp or frank,
A few posts someone asked about the shorty vs square. Wondering if it is the placement of weights vs the total weight that makes a difference? I run mid with the saddle packs and while it is almost the same total weight as the shorty with 20 grams on each side and 18 grams each side pod, I was wondering does the weight being out farther with the side pods make a greater difference?

Worded much better then i did!! That is what i was getting at with my question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.