Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree66Likes

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 12:19 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

you could try putting some shoe goo into the holes to give it some threads again.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by 90sRacer
Seems like the setscrew hole that is used to secure the ends of the sway bar into the cups have stripped out. Is there an alternative that I can use? I’d love to be able to blame my poor performance this past weekend on the fact that both ends of my swaybar came out! LOL

Yea the sway bar ends do strip easy i just snug them or leave the Front bar unhooked.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I will probably leave it off after testing out my newest change. Today, I was rebuilding the shocks and decided to increase the kick-up and lower the roll center in the front. (FF-1, FR-3). I want to see how this alters performance assuming other constants (sway bar in place), so I'll do the shoe goo method as mentioned above (thx Cain). I will then see how it drives with the sway bar disconnected.

I don't know what springs came with this buggy when I bought it (used), assuming stock.

I expected to do better than I did this past weekend. Have some trouble in a rhythm section (double, double, double) with stability. There's also a large (big air) jump. I've got to work on my throttle control. It's not that I'm nosing over, or landing on the wing but I tend to keep the nose in the air too long (scrubbing speed), but I can bring it down on all fours... need to work on leveling it out sooner. Fun! I need to practice more, but have little time. I only got 10 laps in open practice pre-race.

Having fun with this buggy!
tc5 man likes this.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:22 PM
Tech Prophet

The next time i run this buggy im going to try with the red springs F/37W, 3 hole like i been running and on the shock tower go to the lowest hole should come down that aggressive turn causing the Rear end loose on dry dirt.

Last edited by tc5 man; 07-17-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:11 AM
Tech Legend

How much droop limiters are you guys running in general in the shocks?

Yesterdays race went well. Took second but considering I got tangled up a couple of times with lap traffic and I was running a 13.5 spec versus the winner running full mod 7.5, I feel pretty good

I am really liking the VRP 3 x 1.3 hole pistons front and rear with the yellow front, blue rear spring setup and 400cst Front, 300cst rear oil settings.

I may go with some droop limiting in the shocks based on some comparison to an xray drivers vehicle.

Also, I am thinking of going with a higher center diff, i liked the punchy feel of the xray drivers vehicle that was running a slipper. Right now running 10 -100 -5 . I am thinking of trying 10-200-5, 10-200-7, and possibly 10-500-5 depending on wht I have for spare diffs. The Exotek center mount sure comes in handy for those swaps!
Old 07-18-2017, 11:10 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Cain
How much droop limiters are you guys running in general in the shocks?

Yesterdays race went well. Took second but considering I got tangled up a couple of times with lap traffic and I was running a 13.5 spec versus the winner running full mod 7.5, I feel pretty good

I am really liking the VRP 3 x 1.3 hole pistons front and rear with the yellow front, blue rear spring setup and 400cst Front, 300cst rear oil settings.

I may go with some droop limiting in the shocks based on some comparison to an xray drivers vehicle.

Also, I am thinking of going with a higher center diff, i liked the punchy feel of the xray drivers vehicle that was running a slipper. Right now running 10 -100 -5 . I am thinking of trying 10-200-5, 10-200-7, and possibly 10-500-5 depending on wht I have for spare diffs. The Exotek center mount sure comes in handy for those swaps!

I'm running Front and Rear droop with the shock ends about 1mm or so close to the first line . Cant tell you on the diff oil setup haven't tried more than 7,60,5 outdoors and 10,10,5 indoors.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:52 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by tc5 man
I'm running Front and Rear droop with the shock ends about 1mm or so close to the first line . Cant tell you on the diff oil setup haven't tried more than 7,60,5 outdoors and 10,10,5 indoors.
gotcha, so no internal limiters?

Yeah I am thinking for my driving style I need more punch, so going with a heavier center may be what the doctor ordered. I think I am going to break open the extra diff I have here and make a heavier diff. with the split mount from exotek easier to change
Old 07-18-2017, 02:11 PM
Tech Prophet

gotcha, so no internal limiters?

Yeah I am thinking for my driving style I need more punch, so going with a heavier center may be what the doctor ordered. I think I am going to break open the extra diff I have here and make a heavier diff. with the split mount from exotek easier to change

Never tried the limiters inside the shocks I thought it's not needed when doing it with the shock ends .
Old 07-18-2017, 03:17 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Never tried the limiters inside the shocks I thought it's not needed when doing it with the shock ends .
right now I am wondering if my setup already has the eyelets threaded in all the way so could cut down on droop some more.

May give some of the setups a better look but my current one other than a bit more punch for my driving style I really like.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:50 PM
Tech Prophet

I noticed one thing on the buggy is blown bearings in the Rear plastic hubs sure that was really affecting the handling problems over the weekend, i had they were Avid bearings also . Always wonder why manf don't use bigger hub bearings on 4wd buggys cause they don't last long.

Last edited by tc5 man; 07-18-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Outdoor setup

Any body got any good setups for outdoor 13.5 spec class.

New to 4wd
Old 07-18-2017, 09:16 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by GETDAT
Any body got any good setups for outdoor 13.5 spec class.

New to 4wd
This is what I have right now that I am liking:

FRONT

- Kickup: 3 dot front, 2 dot rear fr 9 degrees
- B Shock tower
- Position 2 (middle)
- position 1 on inner camber link hole
- 2mm shim under ball stud
- 0 mm on caster block fr camber link
- 1mm spacer upper and lower for steering block
- Shock Position 2 on a-arm
- 1mm FF
- 1mm FR
- 400cst oil PT Racing oil
- VRP 3 x 1.3mm pistons
- HB Yellow Spring
- Ride Height 22mm
- -1 camber angle
- Toe Angle 0 degrees
- Sway bar: Copper
- steering link in negative position 1mm shim

REAR
- Antisquat RF: 1 dot RR: 1 dot for zero degrees
- B Shock Tower
- Position 3 on tower
- Position 1 on inner ball stud mount
- 1mm shim on inner ball stud mount
- Position 3 on rear hub carrier block
- position 1 on rear hub height
- Position 1 on a-arm
- 0.5mm RF, 1.5mm RR for 3.0 of toe in
- 300cst Shock oil PT Racing Brand
- VRP 3 x 1.3mm pistons
- Hot Bodies Blue Spring
- 22mm Ride height
- -1 camber
- Silver swaybar
- 2mm spacer to rear of arm, 0.5mm to front

- Motor: Maclan 13.5 with ultra torque rotor
- Exotek center diff with 68T spur gear (don't recall pinion but I think a 33T)
- Shorty Battery
- ESC to the front
- Receiver on top of servo
- 10K - 100K - 5K center diff oil

Miscallaneous options:
- Exotek Chassis
- Exotek center diff mount
- Factory RC center diff brace
- Factory RC rear ballstud mount
- Exotek steering link
- EXotek shock caps
- VRP Pistons

My daughters is setup with standard 2 x 1.6mm and 2 x 1.7mm pistons with the 50cst heavier oil all around and it works well.

I am going to look into changing the antisquat setting. After talking with some folks its one area I think I have off. I may go to the max setting to see how it goes.

Last edited by Cain; 07-18-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:36 PM
Tech Adept

For quite a while I've noticed my buggy, when turning sharp on traction, or recovering from a spin, sometimes it doesn't move. I did some figure 8's on my carpet in the house to try and duplicate, and I was successful. The video shows the buggy "grinding" on very sharp turns. Did this before and after diff rebuilds BTW. Although I didn't capture on video, it also stopped (where it wouldn't move) on occasion. Notice the speed drops when grinding...that's not me. Trigger not being backed off.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by 90sRacer; 07-19-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:40 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by 90sRacer
For quite a while I've noticed my buggy, when turning sharp on traction, or recovering from a spin, sometimes it doesn't move. I did some figure 8's on my carpet in the house to try and duplicate, and I was successful. The video shows the buggy "grinding" on very sharp turns. Did this before and after diff rebuilds BTW. Although I didn't capture on video, it also stopped (where it wouldn't move) on occasion. Notice the speed drops when grinding...that's not me. Trigger not being backed off.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YMWlJY1bN2g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

do you have a different motor to try to confirm its not the motor?

When you did diff rebuilds, what all did that entail?
(example: all new internal gears and tranny gears, rebuild with new diff fluid only)
Old 07-19-2017, 03:47 PM
Tech Adept

do you have a different motor to try to confirm its not the motor?

When you did diff rebuilds, what all did that entail?
(example: all new internal gears and tranny gears, rebuild with new diff fluid only)
Thank you, Cain, for the prompt reply!
Diff rebuild: Actually, yes, it was simply fluid changes. I did inspect the gears and bearings, though at the time...they looked fine to me.

Motor: I don't have a spare just yet. Buggy has plenty of power of though, and motor doesn't run hot. Didn't really think about the motor being a potential cause.

Video Link: FIXED! Thx...
jeff jenkins sr likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.