Search
Like Tree66Likes

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chr1s
So I've been running the car for a few months and I thought would post my thoughts on avid vs stock chassis.

I ran the stock chassis for about about 2-3 months, then ran the avid for about 1.5 months. Got the car setup about as good as i could with both chassis and here's what I found.

I've found that the stock chassis allows me to carry more corner speed, accelerates faster, lands better, and has more traction(which I attribute to flex).

The avid chassis seems to mellow out the steering, and overall makes the car easier to drive but it's slower on primary track I run on. Where the avid chassis seemed to show promise was on a high grip bumpy surface where you need something that's very consistent.

I would not say this chassis is a must buy, and it might make you slower if you don't run on super high grip. I'm back to the stock chassis simply because my lap times are faster.
I found the same results. No matter what I changed, I couldn't get the same response/feel and lap times as the stock ccarbon chassis. I ended up taking the avid chassis off after 2 weeks of testing.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I ordered some Serpent sway bars and bent/cut them to fit my car yesterday. Had our first actual race at a new indoor carpet track today and it was a disaster. The car was traction rolling like crazy compared to practice last week where I ran the stock black sway bars.

I didn't get the new ones bent just right and couldn't fit the inside collars on the rear bar but told myself it would be OK. I think there was way too much slack before the bars started to have an effect then all the sudden the big sway bars would kick in and actually cause the traction roll by abruptly stopping the body roll.

I was quite a bit faster with my B5M than with the D413. I guess I'm going to buy the Avid chassis and go back to the stock sway bars.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nv529
I found the same results. No matter what I changed, I couldn't get the same response/feel and lap times as the stock ccarbon chassis. I ended up taking the avid chassis off after 2 weeks of testing.
What are your track conditions?
Old 01-26-2015, 01:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by ISH

What rod ends are these? And are those the stock ball studs?
Old 01-26-2015, 02:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boostgod
What rod ends are these? And are those the stock ball studs?
Those are the AE B5 ball ends
Old 01-26-2015, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iScream
What are your track conditions?
medium bite indoor clay.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:53 AM
ISH
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba
Those are the AE B5 ball ends
Yeah AE ball cups and ball studs. you will need a longer tie rod for the steering links if you switch to AE ball cups.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:56 AM
ISH
Tech Adept

heres the most updated pic.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Finally broke something on my car Saturday, the steering rack snapped in two. Luckily, there was a guy there with his D413 and not racing it that day, so I borrowed it to finish the day. Ordered a spare stock rack and an RCShox rack. Can't believe that companies like Avid, Schelle, and Exotek haven't made an aluminum bb rack for this car yet.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:57 AM
ISH
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
Finally broke something on my car Saturday, the steering rack snapped in two. Luckily, there was a guy there with his D413 and not racing it that day, so I borrowed it to finish the day. Ordered a spare stock rack and an RCShox rack. Can't believe that companies like Avid, Schelle, and Exotek haven't made an aluminum bb rack for this car yet.
I heard of these breaking but i don't see how. must have been a gnarly hit.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Stock vs Avid Chassis

Originally Posted by Chr1s
So I've been running the car for a few months and I thought would post my thoughts on avid vs stock chassis.

I ran the stock chassis for about about 2-3 months, then ran the avid for about 1.5 months. Got the car setup about as good as i could with both chassis and here's what I found.

I've found that the stock chassis allows me to carry more corner speed, accelerates faster, lands better, and has more traction(which I attribute to flex).

The avid chassis seems to mellow out the steering, and overall makes the car easier to drive but it's slower on primary track I run on. Where the avid chassis seemed to show promise was on a high grip bumpy surface where you need something that's very consistent.

I would not say this chassis is a must buy, and it might make you slower if you don't run on super high grip. I'm back to the stock chassis simply because my lap times are faster.

I agree - I have tested both chassis a few times now. I agree with the above assessment. I am also faster on the stock chassis... I personally think the Avid Chassis would perform great on an outdoor track - running Mod - where weight is not an issue.

One thing I do wish - and plan to try... is that the stock chassis could accept the Avid Servo Mount.... that thing is a brilliant idea... I plan to drill out the stock chassis and attempt to mount the Avid Single Side floating servo mount this weekend. I will post picks when complete.

But I also agree - it is not a must buy... Pick up other necessities on your list first before this chassis!

I have tested this at three indoor clay tracks now. Two with Medium / High Traction and the other with lower dusty traction.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ropalmer
One thing I do wish - and plan to try... is that the stock chassis could accept the Avid Servo Mount.... that thing is a brilliant idea... I plan to drill out the stock chassis and attempt to mount the Avid Single Side floating servo mount this weekend. I will post picks when complete.
Not sure if the design is the same or similar but the B44.3 has the single sided mount and it flexes a lot. You can watch it flex even with no pressure on the tires.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Default Potter for President!

Originally Posted by yzracer758

Potter you always have the coolest $hit!
Team Tekin FTW!!!!!
Old 01-26-2015, 09:03 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
Schelle pretty much only makes stuff for the AE cars. Avid will be releasing more stuff as time goes, because Ty is an Avid driver. Exotek? Who know what they will release, they have a solid coverage across many cars/trucks. But they sometimes ignore some things. The RcShox bearing rack is very good, as well as their pistons.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:24 AM
Tech Regular

Default Avid Servo Mount?

Has anyone tried drilling and mounting the Avid Single Side Floating Servo mount to the stock CF D413 chassis?

I am going to attempt to drill mine out... but I wanted to get some feedback first... if anyone has already done this.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.